The Magnificent Magma Handling Module

Hey folks,

Another little video here showing my new favourite thing : I humbly present to you The "HMMMNGH"

The Highly Measured Magma Manipularatiser Niftily Gathering Hotties

image.thumb.png.98eafe7b58db3a28bf5afc1fb7095f4e.png

In short, it's a tileable module used for handling your toasty hot igneous rock fresh from the volcano. Paired with any sort of magma solidifying setup it'll happily let you send streams of precisely thermo-regulated solid orange stuff direct to where you need it. I opted for something simple like this :

image.thumb.png.d024b1df7e3bb34281c42ee8338c3fca.png

(you could also use lots of doors if you like, but I think old @Tonyroid used them all up in his last build :D

Anyway, the premise is simple - Sweeper collects the debris, puts it into a visible loader. The scorching debris is dropped on a mesh tile for later storage, allowing more magma to be cooled (for steam turbines etc) and converted into igneous battery form.

This is where the module comes in :

image.thumb.png.96e7745af45f6b3fb7edb9de1d752cb5.png

The right chute is where our hot igneous is stored - on a mesh tile within a vacuum. The sweeper loads an inverted loader which is bridged into a conveyor loop. This loop is passing through some diamond window tiles with a space in the middle reserved for a thermo sensor, 1kg of hydrogen, and a diamond temp shift for fun. This very precisely adjusts to the temperature of the igneous within the loop, and when connected to a conveyor shutoff allows us to easily dump the igneous when it's reached an undesirable temperature. The left loader then re-stocks the loop, and the cycle continues. Spent igneous leaves the chute on the left.

Here's two chained together : 

image.thumb.png.4dacb95127f557755addbaad56c3c425.png

Heres an overall build showing petroleum boiling, sour gas cooker, and steam all daisy chained together :

image.thumb.png.743b9df53e6067cca733a04fe4336184.png

Way more info in the youtube vid above, and the save file is in the description. Idea being I can use my scorching hot igneous to boil petroleum to sour gas, and make methane/natural gas - I can then use it to cook oil -> petroleum, then dump it into water to make steam, before finally going via turbines, slicksters, and ultimately stone hatches. The beauty is in the handling ;) 

I'm off to bed. xox

-Life

6 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

This is where the module comes in :

image.thumb.png.96e7745af45f6b3fb7edb9de1d752cb5.png

Can I just say, THIS IS AWESOME.  It's compact (3 by 3 instead of 4 by 3 for debris in doors), temp controlled (no luck there with doors), and just plain cool.  Thanks for sharing.  Loved it. 

Glad you liked it bud.

I was tired of all these massive derpy volcano builds tbh, wanted something I can easily build on stream and vary depending on what my asteroid is lacking/what I need most.

Current playthrough I'm badly short on water so...

7 minutes ago, TLW said:

That sweeper will overheat eventually by the way... at least assuming it's all in vacuum.

The module shown here is minimal. How it gets inserted into your base and cooled is extra. Watch for 30 secs and you'll see how this and more is taken care of. ;)

22 minutes ago, TLW said:

That sweeper will overheat eventually by the way... at least assuming it's all in vacuum.

I honestly applaud that you didn't even make it to the 4th picture before posting - sod the video :D Aye, as Mathchap said above - it's dealt with in the video with a single aquatuner keeping everything cooled, may want to have a nosey.xox

4 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

I use something similar for cooling my metal volcanoes via aquatuner. For some reason it never occurred to me to use the heat directly... 

Aye that was how I used to use my metal from volcanoes, only recently I wanted a means of handling a lot of igneous - so I plan to build a monster in our current stream base... Should be fun :D 

45 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Aye that was how I used to use my metal from volcanoes, only recently I wanted a means of handling a lot of igneous - so I plan to build a monster in our current stream base... Should be fun :D 

Did you manage to build it in survival? If so can you post a link to the stream?

13 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

Did you manage to build it in survival? If so can you post a link to the stream?

I can build the handling module in about 2 minutes, it's vacuuming/clearing out my entire magma biome that'll be the grind :)

I have 3 volcanoes down there, so should be fun :D 

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

I'm trying to get most/all the Steam achievements this base so I've been going slow with manual generators for Super Sustainable cause I hadn't found any hot geyser/volcanoes yet. This will let me run a steam turbine from regolith to (hopefully) blast through the last 100,000kJ I need before I can start using my natural gas geyser and geode (From memory, I'm estimating approximately 24,000kg of natural gas in the geode). Thanks again for the kick in the pants to make me realize that I don't need to use an aquatuner to generate steam from hot debris.

This is probably the best part of ONI. I've played almost 1,400 hours and I'm still learning new things. :D

19 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

Is there another option for the magma heat aside from steam

Melt gold and iron for use in a refinery, so you can reach 3000K in a refinery easily. Preheat steel for melting, so you can reach over 4000K in a refinery and get tungsten... (I might be trying to create a metal printing press :) ).  Cook polluted dirt to dirt, or sand. Purify polluted water. Basically whatever you want heat for, this will help you.  The most useful are the three mentioned in the video, but the usefulness of this heat is essentially endless. 

6 hours ago, karyuendan08 said:

Only downside of this build is the most thermal hungry stuff must be at the top

Exactly, and thats why having a modular build that isn't gravity dependant is so much more useful in a real game scenario :) For example, I have three volcanoes to the south of my oil biome (playing Rime) and one minor volcano just to the right of my base in the middle of the map. I plan to build a vacuum chamber and convey ALL my consolidated igneous to one convenient place near my base, and do all my cooking there. That way my dupes are nearby for the bulk of the construction and my outputs/inputs don't need to be piped miles unnecessarily. Conveyors within a vacuum do very little for FPS, however masses of unnecessary piping will really ruin your day ;) 

1 hour ago, mathmanican said:

Another downside is that debris ON tiles transfer heat at a MUCH slower rater than debris IN tiles. 

This is crucial. A fast and efficient transfer is key here, that way we can accurately monitor the temperature and recycle the heat elsewhere as needed via the thermo sensors/shut offs. This becomes very evident when it comes to builds that are boiling oil/petroleum versus cooking steam.

50 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Exactly, and that's why having a modular build that isn't gravity dependant is so much more useful in a real game scenario :) For example, I have three volcanoes to the south of my oil biome (playing Rime) and one minor volcano just to the right of my base in the middle of the map. I plan to build a vacuum chamber and convey ALL my consolidated igneous to one convenient place near my base, and do all my cooking there. That way my dupes are nearby for the bulk of the construction and my outputs/inputs don't need to be piped miles unnecessarily. Conveyors within a vacuum do very little for FPS, however masses of unnecessary piping will really ruin your day ;) 

This is crucial. A fast and efficient transfer is key here, that way we can accurately monitor the temperature and recycle the heat elsewhere as needed via the thermo sensors/shut offs. This becomes very evident when it comes to builds that are boiling oil/petroleum versus cooking steam.

A question about your sweepers. How fast do they heat up even with your cooling and what's the max temp they reach? Just trying to see if I can get away with making them out of lead.

I wouldn't advise you use lead - I opted for steel personally. They don't heat much, and the aquatuner keeps them stable.

In my first design I put automation on the sweepers instead of the loaders to deliver the materials, and that caused some heating issues if they ever dropped the igneous - but once I sorted that it was all peachy.

24 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

In my first design I put automation on the sweepers instead of the loaders to deliver the materials, and that caused some heating issues if they ever dropped the igneous - but once I sorted that it was all peachy.

What do you mean sorted it out?

Is the sensor in hydrogen working for you when your off-screen?

I have an exact same design I use to measure the temperature on the rails, but when I go off-screen the rock on the rails stop transferring heat into the hydrogen and the sensor gets a false read.

19 minutes ago, Steve Raptor said:

Is the sensor in hydrogen working for you when your off-screen?

I have an exact same design I use to measure the temperature on the rails, but when I go off-screen the rock on the rails stop transferring heat into the hydrogen and the sensor gets a false read.

Is your build in the extreme north east or extreme south west of your base by any chance ?

9 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Is your build in the extreme north east or extreme south west of your base by any chance ?

EDIT: actually, its quiet in the center (the pod is, anyway).

I'm having some unexplained black magic with this.

If i pan the camera offscreen to either left/right up/down from the rails it works fine.

If i pan diagonally it doesn't.

Either I overloaded the map, since my base is pretty big and i discovered 80% of the map or something else is in play here.

I found the source of the problem, I disabled "Proccess lasso" and now the readings are back to normal.

Its shame though, cause the performance hit is quiet notice-able without it

Archived