How to REALLY use the Rock Den?

According to the info in the Wiki it says:

"in order to adopt or abandon a mob under this tab, the player must always be near the Rock Den"

My question is: Is that it? Just "be near the Rock Den"?
If so, for how long?
Does it matter if you move?
Must you be near enough to touch the den?

Yes, I know, for many of you that have known for a long time exactly how this works these questions must sound silly. Just put yourselves in the rookies' shoes.
I asked because I was near the den, I left-clicked, right-clicked, and nothing happened.

Thanks in advance,

DPC

It shouldn’t be forgotten that your questions shouldn’t go straight to the forums right away. There is also a particularly popular research engine called Google that works just fine, if not usually better at answering questions. You also have the added option of consulting the Don’t Starve Wiki, which is also very effective at answering all Don’t Starve and Don’t Starve related questions. 

That being said please consult these sources(?) before going straight to the forums.

5 minutes ago, FeagleSnorf said:

It shouldn’t be forgotten that your questions shouldn’t go straight to the forums right away. There is also a particularly popular research engine called Google that works just fine, if not usually better at answering questions. You also have the added option of consulting the Don’t Starve Wiki, which is also very effective at answering all Don’t Starve and Don’t Starve related questions. 

That being said please consult these sources(?) before going straight to the forums.

I'm gonna be real sarcastic here because I find this funny so forgive me:

It shouldn't be forgotten to read the entire post and not reply right away. They literally quote the wiki-they just don't understand the specifics.

7 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I'm gonna be real sarcastic here because I find this funny so forgive me:

It shouldn't be forgotten to read the entire post and not reply right away. They literally quote the wiki-they just don't understand the specifics.

Yeah, sorry about that. I rushed for no real reason. Mostly because this person has been posting similar questions fairly often. I’ll read the whole thing next time. 

:wilson_dorky:

You should learn the mechanic of it; not just the critter den but a rather significant amount of buildings work like that. You know the crafting tabs on the left? Most are eternally there like Tools, Survival, Fire etc and some aren't there right away but will appear and stay there as soon as you craft something in that menu like food, seafaring, magic, refine etc.Some however, like Critter Den's Critters tab, will only appear when you're standing to - like in two Wilsons of distance of- certain buildings. You can craft the items/beings in these menus only while standing close to the said objects as the tab will go away when you stand away from it.

So yea; for your question, once you stand near den and a crafting tab of critters appears on the left at the bottom of the list of tabs, just craft your pet from the `beings` you can craft and it takes the same amount of time it'd take to craft any other item like an axe or a torch. You can move away after you get your pet.

Same mechanism applies to Cartographers' Desk for the Cartography tab, Potter's Wheel for sculpture tab, Celestial orb for celestial tab and Ancient pseudoscience station (in the ruins section of the caves) for ancient science tab. (also grinding mill for Warly players only for seasonings tab)

6 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

...will only appear when you're standing to - like in two Wilsons of distance of- certain buildings. You can craft the items/beings in these menus only while standing close to the said objects as the tab will go away when you stand away from it...

Thank you ever so much STB, your reply has proven to be way more complete and informational than that of the limited Wiki. Furthermore, your reply should be added to the Wiki!

Also, thank you to everyone else that contributed with a positive reply.

Have a great day!

DPC
P.S. For the record, I always Google for the info I need, because I can get that info faster/sooner, and it's less work for you guys. But the only place Google has pointed to is the Don't Starve Wiki. And I hate to say it, but so far, it has let me down twice in a row. 

Coffee

9 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

When you click on your link it brings you to a page called "Critter Tab" in which the first sentence says "The Critters Tab is an exclusive crafting tab", that means you craft the pets like you would a torch or anything else.

I like your username! :)
I still remember the first time I had pizza (Pizza Hut) and Dr Pepper together, it was so good!!! 

Image result for pizza icon

7 minutes ago, DrPepperCan said:

Furthermore, your reply should be added to the Wiki!

It's already in the wiki if you actually understand what it says.

It works similar to crafting stations like Ancient Pseudoscience Stations, unlocking the Critters Tab

Archived