latines and water - running out of water

Ok I have a cycle setup just for the latrines, showers and sinks.

sinks and showers put out as much polluted water as they use

the water sieve puts out as much water as the polluted water it cleans (leaving germs unfortunately)

and supposedly the latrines put out more polluted water than they use water.

However I keep running dry with this cycle.

I'm not using the water in this loop for irrigation or electrolysis (which btw puts germs in the air if you use infected water it seems)

So why would I not get be getting more net water than used out of this?

Is there evaporation or something I'm missing? (not near the surface at all)

You must be leaking water somewhere if there are germs in the air, the water should be contained in your pipes. I've personally always had a liquid bridge a few pipe lines from the sieve to force it to move towards the sieve, with an alternate branch on the start of the bridge towards a place to dump overflow.

I bet you aren't looping it but putting it into a pool then pumping it back out right? Which means the water is getting used elsewhere as well if you have a pitcher pump in it. So I'll give you a bit of help.

Make it a proper loop. Here is my current base's latrine loops. No pump. The extra the dupes produce goes into a pool to be used elsewhere.

20190820020327_1.thumb.jpg.af1513f59c362b18bfaf067c12dffe7e.jpg

I am putting PH2O into a pool, but there's no other pump in the pool other than the move the polluted h2o to the sieves.
There's exactly 1 pump in the PH2O pool :(.
And exactly 1 pump in the IH2O pool for pumping back to the showers, latrines and sinks

As for the picture included I see a pool... for IH2O at least *shrug*

I guess I'll try the liquid reservoir approach and see if the magic occurs then. I'm just not sure to handle the overflow you're supposed to get.. YET

But I'm serious I have no other uses of PH2O or H2O in this loop and I'm having to pump in non-infected H2O.
I have showers, latrines and sinks and that's all.

(hmmm too bad this rich text editor doesn't support subscripts, we could do the chemical formulae right)

40 minutes ago, thejohn1567 said:

You must be leaking water somewhere if there are germs in the air, the water should be contained in your pipes. I've personally always had a liquid bridge a few pipe lines from the sieve to force it to move towards the sieve, with an alternate branch on the start of the bridge towards a place to dump overflow.

ummmm

As for germs in the air... I didn't say there were. What I was trying to say was: if you use infected H2O for electrolysis it results in infected O2 and H2...At least that's what the gas reservoir I used in that test case reported... 

electrolysis doesn't disinfect it seems

How do you even have leaks anyways? other than deconstructing pipes...
I'd love to know how that's possible

31 minutes ago, coffee_fiend said:

I am putting PH2O into a pool, but there's no other pump in the pool other than the move the polluted h2o to the sieves.
There's exactly 1 pump in the PH2O pool :(.
And exactly 1 pump in the IH2O pool for pumping back to the showers, latrines and sinks

I can't imagine that there is enough off-gassing going on here to make your loop run out of liquids, but that must be the cause.  Is it a shallow, wide pool?  Or a narrow, deep one?  That affects the amount of mass that is converted from P-H2O to P-O2.

32 minutes ago, coffee_fiend said:

As for the picture included I see a pool... for IH2O at least *shrug*

That was a request for you to post a screenshot, preferably in your Plumbing Overlay, so we can try to diagnose your issue.  We don't really have any information to go on to help you without it.  We're basically just guessing.

Hmm I removed the PH2O pool from the equation and I'm still coming out with less water out than in.

a bunch of sinks/latrines/showers directly to 2 sieves to a Infect H2O pool and back

I just seem to be getting a lot less PH2O out that IH2O in.

I wonder now about mods, but I don't know of any that would impact PH2O out from Latrines

But basically I don't see anything else taking H2O out of the loop.

I could upload a pic but it's a large base with a fair amount of spag.

Mostly I was hoping to hear if anyone else had run into this or not.

16 minutes ago, PhailRaptor said:

I can't imagine that there is enough off-gassing going on here to make your loop run out of liquids, but that must be the cause.  Is it a shallow, wide pool?  Or a narrow, deep one?  That affects the amount of mass that is converted from P-H2O to P-O2.

so when PH20 off gasses it converts to PO2 rather than created PO2?

It was a wide pool (13 tiles wide) so lots of surface area to off gas

22 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

Nice simple automation.  I’d probably want some sort of heat exchanger as well to bring that polluted water up to 40 and then back down to room temperature after being turned to water. 

Why you want to put water a 40°C? it's seems to me that the 40°C output of the water sieve is no longer on the menu

The sieve is outputting at 40c minimum. So if you give it 10c polluted water you are gaining instant heat. May as well heat exchange that 40c output with whatever the incoming is. 

Now with space materials I bet you can generate power by turning near freezing polluted water to 40c water. The best way to get them to fix something is to exploit it. 

19 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

The sieve is outputting at 40c minimum. So if you give it 10c polluted water you are gaining instant heat. May as well heat exchange that 40c output with whatever the incoming is. 

Now with space materials I bet you can generate power by turning near freezing polluted water to 40c water. The best way to get them to fix something is to exploit it. 

I don't think this is happening anymore. My 31C polluted water is coming out at 31C and has been for hundreds of cycles now.

1 hour ago, 0xFADE said:

This isnt the case anymore since the launch upgrade, in fact many machines have had their output temps tweaked.

The water sieve now outputs at input temperature, for example.

Archived