My idea for WX's refresh

How about a battery for WX showing his battery stand? He could loose charge over time or by doing actions (moving, fighting, picking up, crafting) and when it is low, he could be weaker (and maybe slower), maybe even loosing health when the battery is very low (1%) or loosing sanity faster. And when the battery is full, he would be faster, harvesting/picking faster and he also could hit faster in fights. Charging could happen through several ways, like being struck by lightning, taking energy from loaded lightning rod, attacking voalt goats or through eating Volt Goat Chaud-Froid. Maybe give him a station collecting energy over time (must be placed on ground and be fueled, he could craft more stations). With this system also some further downsides could be added, like loosing more energy when prototyping a new recipe (like the amount of sanity you get) or eating food (because he has to process it). But he also could use the energy for optional things, like analyzing suspicious dirt piles to know what mob will be at the end or even analyzing mobs to see and track their health.

11 minutes ago, Queron81 said:

But he also could use the energy for optional things, like analyzing suspicious dirt piles to know what mob will be at the end or even analyzing mobs to see and track their health.

I quite like the idea of being able to tell what mob will spawn for the dirt piles actually, whether with WX or as a new added feature 

Edit: could also work with a Wicker refresh, smart gal like that should be able to tell tracks from different mobs apart!

Honestly if I wanted to see anything in the WX rework, it would be something similar to the one abandoned Singleplayer mod "WX Total Upgrade System Overhaul". https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=179287930&searchtext=wx

In this mod, WX can choose to upgrade himself with a variety of new craftables, where HP, Sanity, and Hunger are all separate upgrades with no drawback.
- The HP modules can be applied up to a max of 10 times, maxing out WX's HP at 300.
- The Sanity modules can also be applied up to 10 times, maxing out WX at 200 sanity.
- The Hunger modules also can be used up to 10 times, maxing out WX's hunger at 250.

However, WX can also craft a variety of new advanced upgrades at the cost of other stats.
These advanced upgrades are:
- A Speed Module that increases overall speed at the cost of a faster hunger drain. (+10% speed, +20% faster hunger, max uses: 5)
- A Combat Module that increases damage dealt at the cost of maximum HP. No a booster shot can't fix this. (+20% dmg, -10% max HP, max uses: 5)
WX can also make Removal Kits for these two advanced upgrades, undoing their effects in case he ever wants his HP or hunger values back.

That's actually all the mod has to offer, apart from a Journal to catalog your current upgrade advancements. 

Tl;dr: I'd like to see WX be able to upgrade himself with more craftable "side-grades" that trade off some stats for others rather than just straight upgrades by shoveling gears down his gullet.

2 hours ago, X-lem said:

I'm not sure I completely agree with OP in that he shouldn't be able to eat gears. I realize some people grief that way, but again, we can't build the game around griefers.

Its not just because of griefers. Its mostly the fact that WX's Main perk does not help the team in any single way, in fact it only hinders the team with the fact that a robot just stopped you from making a flingo. 

y'know, I'm not entirely certain that a robot with a deeply engrained hatred of any and all organics should really be a big team player. Sure he should be able to passivly help out his time, akin to Wolfgang passivly helping his team by being strong, but considering his entire character, I think having him as a more-solo focused character makes the most sense. though his main perk still shouldn't be a detriment to the team as his current one is now.

As a previously quite dedicated WX-main, I'd love to share my opinion. I chose this particular rework thread because it does not mention selective upgrades, meaning you're at least sane.

No-Gears: I disagree with this one. By the time you explore the Ruins, Gears are everywhere. The problem happens when Gears are the literal best all-around food in the game for WX. They can go from "Emergency food" to "yeah, I'm too lazy to make Trail Mix, I'll have one" in a heartbeat.
Suggestion: Gears should give health, but no Hunger (If it's stomach could digest metal, it'd digest itself) and lower sanity (It's eating the one and only thing it considers family). Or just literally remove the ability to eat Gears after upgrading, making said upgrades actually meaningful. It would make intentional reviving-resets a viable way to get more out of the gears, but that's actually meta enough that most pubs won't face this problem.

Gem Socketing: I... really like this one, yeah. I was discussing with my friend recently about Wagstaff, if/when brought to DST, could socket gems in his Tele-things, making them a costy, but man-made Wormhole.
Having WX channeling Gears for various tasks would be super cool, and make it more of team-explorer, but I believe just giving raw gems would be too...simplistic.
Suggestion: WX should be able to craft Gem Cores (not API) using a Gem and a Pickaxe, and equip them in its Head Slot, making Light and Rain management a lot harder. No clue on the perks though.

Clockwork Alliance: no
would just make it a better webber, and only worsen the gears shortage.
Suggestion: idk, but it's not a very good idea.

2 minutes ago, AdventZen said:

I was discussing with my friend recently about Wagstaff, if/when brought to DST, could socket gems in his Tele-things, making them a costy, but man-made Wormhole.

Since they introduced this technology through Winona's update, this is the most likely next step.

Would this be considered Gempunk, since there's no steam?

2 hours ago, AdventZen said:

Suggestion: WX should be able to craft Gem Cores (not API) using a Gem and a Pickaxe, and equip them in its Head Slot

Equipping in the head slot would make it a little more difficult but there is still the rain coat. But at least you wouldn't be guaranteed to not have any issues past winter from the eyebrella and would have to go out of your way to kill tentacles (assuming you dont have a reedtrap that your wicker took care of).

But an alternative to gem cores could be to use socketed moon rocks, as it is known that WX just loves the moon, and could be equipped to the the head slot to provide effects, and instead of using up the gems, it could use up the moon rock instead, so that it would still cost something without taking all the gems. The effects could be balanced by not being too strong, or not lasting as long. 

Archived