Am I crazy?

Does anyone else build like this or am I just crazy?  I tend to build the foundations of something and just keep adding on as needed instead of reworking my original area.  Piping included below (works great but...)

image.thumb.png.ef60c996390d2595ecd1b2b83f0ed55e.png

image.thumb.png.196502d23b0e1d388fdc5eb1cc41e2fd.png

I don't think you're crazy. It's really an each to their own thing. I'm constantly tinkering with stuff. I'll throw together a slapdash build because I want some resource, and then once I've got it I'll go back and do it "properly". Then I'll come up with another idea to make it better. 

In my current game I've torn down and rebuilt my rock tumbler twice, and my research stations 3 times, either for heat management, decor, or just because I wanted to do something else with the space.

I threw together a quick reed fiber farm to use up some polluted water that was in my way, and because the drecko ranch was waiting on hydrogen before I filled it up. Then I deconstructed the whole thing after 10 cycles or so and turned it into a new walkway. 

I love looking at perfectly symmetrical bases, but I certainly don't build that way. I don't get to play as much as I'd like, so as I remember or learn how to improve a system, I clean things up. I'm planning on ripping up my rough cooling loop in favor of something more controlled. I also just finished my kitchen area, but realize already there are many improvements I can make. I think that's what glues me to this game so much, there's always a better way than what I built last time.

Something I'm still working on is hooking the output of one system into the input of another.

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

That base has a lot of dupe flavour in it. Looks exactly how i`d imagine dupes would build someting. Also the gasses being orange and black give it a nice industrial feel.

As for not planning before building stuff i often do the same when i don`t feel like making a large symmtrical project. Very often after i mess up the design early (like by making a 3 high room instead a 4 high) and i stop caring about how it looks, just make it work instead.

It's all a matter of preference.  I try not to redesign my layout but I've also played this game forever so I have a general idea what I want it to look like before I even start building it so that makes it even easier.

Again, there's no wrong way to play, so while your design might not be 100% efficient, if it works, that's all that really matters.  And since it's a single player game anyway, you are welcome to handle it however you want.

I tend to build very organically as well. Just finding where things fit as I go. Sometimes I'll tear stuff down and relocate it, but usually not just because of aesthetics. More often than not it's because my spaghetti pipes get out of control and I can't just put another bridge in to handle the connections.

Archived