6 minutes ago, SamuraiJones said:

Does anyone else feel terrible for using lead pipes for drinking water, just cuz they're so cheap?

Lead pipes are not dangerous in themselves. They form an oxidation layer on the inside that prevents lead from dissolving into the water. However, modern water treatment usually involves adding chlorine to water to kill germs, and although most of the chlorine is neutralized some will escape into the water supply where it can dissolve the oxidation layer in lead pipes releasing lead particles.

5 minutes ago, oosyrag said:

The Romans didn't know any better. You do. You monster.

I think the Romans got lead poisoning from adding it to their wines as a sweetener.  Lead pipes are bad and should be banned because you should try to avoid getting lead into your body altogether but realistically you probably aren't going to get a serious illness from lead pipes.

32 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Lead pipes are not dangerous in themselves. They form an oxidation layer on the inside that prevents lead from dissolving into the water. However, modern water treatment usually involves adding chlorine to water to kill germs, and although most of the chlorine is neutralized some will escape into the water supply where it can dissolve the oxidation layer in lead pipes releasing lead particles.

I see... venting chlorine to space now. Lead pipes are staying! Clear conscience!

39 minutes ago, MustardWarrior said:

I think the Romans got lead poisoning from adding it to their wines as a sweetener.  Lead pipes are bad and should be banned because you should try to avoid getting lead into your body altogether but realistically you probably aren't going to get a serious illness from lead pipes.

Also LOADS of lead based beauty products. 

But seriously, you use lead pipes for heat exchange? Just use aluminum. Left the lead for say turbines and generators and all the electrical stuff. 

1 hour ago, MustardWarrior said:

Probably. What you add is "Maskulinum", which is lead-sulfide. Was also done in medieval times to "improve" wine and did tremendous damage. For example, there is an account of an execution of some guy that did this in, I think, Heidelberg by frying him in a pan. That sounds like something you only do if you want the cretin to really suffer.

That said, dupes are, of course, completely immune to the negative effects of lead.

6 hours ago, Radam said:

Also LOADS of lead based beauty products. 

But seriously, you use lead pipes for heat exchange? Just use aluminum. Left the lead for say turbines and generators and all the electrical stuff. 

Oh sure, use aluminium  so your dupes can get Alzheimers. Nice. 

10 minutes ago, cpy said:

Romans had lot of calcination going on in their pipes so they got insulated pretty damn fast for their luck.

Their empire would probably have fallen far sooner if they had not. But there is another instance of people using lead when they _knew_ what it did: White face-paint in ancient Japan. This was lead-based and they knew it was killing them slowly. Yet the pressures of society to keep up appearances were apparently more important with the aristocracy and their servants.

Archived