It's raining TACoS - Metal Printing (Pure alchemy, in its true form)

With steel in a metal refinery, it's easy to reach 4000K. Here's my latest contraption (in rough draft phase).

It's raining TACoS (Tungsten, Aluminum, Copper, Steel). 

TACoS.thumb.png.128c399e366e6615d6d30966006348be.png

Just use the drippings from the metal above to heat the metal below until the door melts, leaving 400kg of refined metal as well. I am excited to see how much metal I can extract from a single refining of steel. 

• The doors on the left ensure that every last bit of usable heat gets squeezed out of the metal before dropping to the next stage, using the same principle as the Critter Cooker Killer (Adapted, or basically flat out plagiarized, from @JohnFrancis's Iron Metal Volcano tamer post).
  • The metal cannon bug is utilized, as posted in the Insulation Flaking post from several months ago. The bug has been in the game for more than a year. It's easy to reproduce with lava and gold doors, but generally it's not seen by players accidentally (as the required temperatures can be difficult to achieve). 
  • I don't yet have it hooked up to an automated refinery, but that's not too difficult. I'll be using a liquid reservoir to store and transfer the hot steel to the top diamond tiles. Credit for this goes to @GemeinerJack's Stupid Tungsten Cooker 3500
  • The sweeper arms and conveyor bins will be cooled by replacing a few diamond tiles with ceramic (or insulation, not sure yet), and then stacking crude and petrol in 300g size piles, kept cool with radiant pipes behind them (or whatever new feature gets added to deal with cooling things in a vacuum). 

If you want to play, please join the fun. Gotta dig into the mini side game of abusing exploits, whenever possible. 

On a side note, I'm not sure if this method, or just flat out liquid duplication (melt and freeze), will be more profitable. This method doesn't run the risk of loosing half to digging (after duplication), so I'll start here.

45 minutes ago, Cherubael said:

I'm kinda sad that I don't understand how a third of your contraptions work.

Feel free to ask if you ever want to know more. I have been known to make step by step instructions. I generally try my best to include links for the dedicated, but I also leave out some details as well.

This contraption just combines several known issues as well as recently (for me) learned techniques. Placing the metal cannon in series extracts as much heat as possible. 

19 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

After reading the title and the first two lines, I thought you had figured out how to melt lead and make it solidify into refined gold on impact on the floor below.

I can do that with matter conversion (already did before you joined). I guess I should change the title to be something more along the lines of counterfeiting.

I don't even have words for this.... is there really a bug in the game where a destroyed, non-interacted with object remains an object? I am not sure how you automate the melting of doors though. Or is this an interactive setup?

@SakuraKoi Read the insulation flaking post Math has linked to, it will explain how this works.

1 hour ago, Darkin Coaled said:

Read the insulation flaking post Math has linked to, it will explain how this works.

I'm assuming @SakuraKoi noticed the "umm what!?" tag. I was hoping someone would, and it made my day when that was the first comment. 

is there really a bug in the game where a destroyed, non-interacted with object remains an object?

Yep. Kinda silly. My guess is it is related to the liquid duplication bug, but not sure. 

12 hours ago, mathmanican said:

"umm what!?" tag

Yup, totally missed that. Still, if people (like I did) look at that build and don't have a clue what's going on then the flaking post is the only one they need to check out to get up to date.

12 hours ago, mathmanican said:

related to the liquid duplication bug

Hmm... that doesn't sound right. Reading what you discovered earlier it seems to me that destroyed buildings (tiles?) aren't updated until fluid interaction computations. For a door it might look like this: State 1: door open, State 0: door closed, State -1: door to be removed from play.

Since there is no change in the door-occupied tiles, or vacuum "flooding in" does not interact enough to invoke the door destruction proper, you can reset the door to State 1 from State -1.

Here's some more thoughts: Does duplication happen with an airlock door melting surrounded by liquid? I don't think it should, as far as I can understand the interactions you need the liquid to be already "there" to get double liquid added. Am I correct?

However, does a regular door melting in liquid return double the refined metal that the ore melts into? Does a mesh tile?

Finally, if the door destruction depends on update of fluid in the space the door used to occupy, would melting a regular door immersed in the refined version of the ore it is made from retain the doorness indefinitely like vacuum does with airlocks?

that doesn't sound right.

"related" is a very loose word. :) I do know that when a door is closed, the game inserts a natural tile behind the door (which you can see briefly in sandbox when you delete the door). The bug may be as simple as "natural tile melts", "forget to delete door unless something near door completes melting process", "when door changes state a new natural tile gets inserted. It may be this simple, and maybe it's there as a simple way to block pathing when the door closes (maybe it's tied up in the whole huge pathing algorithm, and this was the simplest way to get doors to behave correctly with pathing.  

By the way, I'm narrowing this down what causes the door to actually finish melting completely, and disappearing, as opposed to staying. I can reproducibly make the the door melt in several scenarios, but not complete understanding, yet. The liquid bead pump physics actually comes into play in my melter, so liquid in a tile next to the door can cause it to melt. I spent the last 3 hours working on this.  Thanks for the comments.  

19 hours ago, mathmanican said:

I'm assuming @SakuraKoi noticed the "umm what!?" tag.

well, I was considering switching the ! and ? since I actually think they can and should be different but I ultimately settled for the "umm (you yet again!) what (the duck are you doing)?" rather than "umm what (is this dung)? (I don't understand!)".

On a side note, I don't give a single duck about the interrobang being considered bad writing and I mostly understood the concept of this and I wish I would not.

Archived