Winter comes on too strong and quick

Just my feed back but it's day 13 and winter is here.I have absolutely no preparation and i think my life ends here.No food,little resources/fuel and i'm going for an all in exploration for ponds or something that has food because spiders make me go insane,pigs are not worth it in my opinion I have an icebox,2 crock pots a fire pit and both science machines plus a chest. and i really don't have much else to say but,"goodbye cruel world!"It's also on adventure.

From what I've seen adventure mode brings on winter sooner than sandbox mode. In fact, adventure mode is in general more difficult than sandbox mode. I think Klei's idea is for users to play in sandbox until they have enough experience/expertise to take on adventure mode.

Also - go hunt those winter birds! Make a boomerang or another ranged weapon and collect morsels. Do what you gotta do to survive. Winter is difficult when you're not yet established.

Iv'e played the game for a while now and it really does seem to come too quick.The food values may need some tweaking so that you can last a little longer during winter.

I agree that the food needs tweaking. I feel that the food nerfs are a bit too harsh.

Also - go hunt those winter birds! Make a boomerang or another ranged weapon and collect morsels. Do what you gotta do to survive. Winter is difficult when you're not yet established.

I tried this, it seems the majority of the time snowbirds drop a snowbird feather ._.I'd love it if 75% of the time a bird will drop a morsel when hit with a boomerang.

I was also freezing to death because i had no luck tracking own one of the koalephants.

Have you made a winter hat? 4 Beefalo wool + 4 Silk. But yeah, I agree with you. Winter is quite harsh, especially for new players. The learning curve is far too steep.

From what I've seen adventure mode brings on winter sooner than sandbox mode. In fact, adventure mode is in general more difficult than sandbox mode. I think Klei's idea is for users to play in sandbox until they have enough experience/expertise to take on adventure mode.

It does indeed look like that's their intention.

. . .players will be placed in sandbox in the beginning of their adventure, and it's where they will cut their teeth on the game and learn how all the systems work. Once players are ready, they can take on Maxwell.

From what I've seen, winter can hit as early as day 10 in adventure mode on the first map, while it normally won't show up until day 20-30 in sandbox. Edited by Syd

If beefalo werent so scarce in every world I have made I would have no problem surviving through winter. But as it is whenever I have a huge area to spawn them in there are 0 on my map. I will have 40+ spider silk by day 6 but 0 beefalo found and now that pigs are pretty much a task to kill I just remake the world and hope for a better spawn of beefalo.Makes me has a sad.

• Developer

Adventure mode is relatively untuned at the moment, and is meant to be capital-H Hard. In the default tuning of sandbox mode, winter comes on a lot more gradually, and gives you more time to prepare.The adventure mode stuff is going to get a lot of love in the next-next update. After we've gone over it and added some explanatory text and whatnot, it should do much better job of setting players' expectations. We'll also make sure that the resources that you need (easy access to beefalo) are where they need to be :)

Personally i think Winter is too harsh on Sandbox right now (or at least for new players it is), mostly due to how wonky world generation seems to be. Beefalo are either hit or miss, sometimes you can find them sometimes not. If you cant find them you're basically screwed for winter. (Also how come like all the tallbirds are gone? Theres only 1 on my map and it hasn't laid a single egg in 50 days.Considering how much tougher hound attacks are now for new players with how weak the spear is now and then at day 20 they get sent into winter mode where they can't even go out and kill rabbits if they don't have winter clothing i think that'd be pretty un fun for most people. I'd say push winter back like 10 days on default sandbox really.

• Developer

Keep adventure cruel plz! Beginnings with drama hardness is something I'm loving right now :)

Oh man, I just wrote the "script" for adventure mode yesterday. It has some nasty surprises in store for you. Maxwell is kind of a jerk, it turns out.

(Also how come like all the tallbirds are gone? Theres only 1 on my map and it hasn't laid a single egg in 50 days.

It seems tallbird generation has changed as i have found only 1 in the multiple games i played. My last game i think i explored pretty much all the map and tall birds seem to be generating on the periphery or right on the cliffs/coast rather than inland rocky terrain. I'm not really sure what the incentive to play around with tall birds is so hopefully the team addresses them somehow. As far as winter update i think it's perfect. My winter we hell but i survived and when i saw the snow melting i had a great feeling of accomplishment.

Yea, winter hit me in adventure on day 12. (good thing i had a vest already)So you gotta farm all crazy in the first dozen days to get all your warm clothes.I actually didnt get a wool hat yet, because i was missing some spider webs. And i basically survived on cooked carrots ...