I'm surprised honeycomb hasn't been made renewable yet even after Hamlet

theJas0n

It's understandable that in RoG, honeycomb was not renewable except through resetting the world and I was fine with it that way, because the uses for them was limited. But with the addition of Hamlet, many exceedingly rare and powerful items, such as mandrakes and boss items, have been made freely available to buy if you have the cash. Honeycomb is not even found in Hamlet except for a very small amount of Antcomb Homes. I don't think this was an oversight but I respect the devs decision. So this is more of a selfish request more than anything, because if honeycomb was renewable, bundling wraps would be renewable also and my playstyle consists of hoarding absolutely everything I can find. I would love it if the collector sold honeycomb in his shop for something like 30 oincs (I think that's fair, it would be the same price as dragonfly scales). Or alternatively if there was a crafting recipe for it that the Queen Womant could drop, although I prefer the other option. I get that bundling wraps are already pretty OP, but you can already make a large enough amount of them without resetting the world, so adding more wouldn't break anything and it would be a nice and very simple addition for people like me who's playstyle relies on them heavily.

Okay so when talking about renewability in don't starve we should recognize that they're three types of renewability.

Classic Renewability - Renewed through farms (Replanting trees, berry farms, pigman farms)

Renewability through teleportatoing a world (Ruins loot, coffee plants, royal crown/regal sceptar)

And then we have items like "the things" which only can get 4 of them per world and all lost upon regenerating one.

So in a sense, yeah honey combs are renewable but only if you regenerate a world. 

46 minutes ago, Averagewx78main said:

Okay so when talking about renewability in don't starve we should recognize that they're three types of renewability.

Classic Renewability - Renewed through farms (Replanting trees, berry farms, pigman farms)

Renewability through teleportatoing a world (Ruins loot, coffee plants, royal crown/regal sceptar)

And then we have items like "the things" which only can get 4 of them per world and all lost upon regenerating one.

So in a sense, yeah honey combs are renewable but only if you regenerate a world. 

Literally no one who has ever discussed something's renewability has ever been talking about any sense but the first, unless they're trying to disingenuously cut down a discussion. I don't think everything should be renewable through crafting or farming but I'll argue that without claiming creating an entire new world counts as "renewing" resources.

14 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Literally no one who has ever discussed something's renewability has ever been talking about any sense but the first, unless they're trying to disingenuously cut down a discussion. I don't think everything should be renewable through crafting or farming but I'll argue that without claiming creating an entire new world counts as "renewing" resources.

Renewing a World is literally restarting your game anew with stuff from previous world in your inventory coming with you as an extra, its a mechanic that is usable as a farming method but as far Honeycombs go, they are a limited resource from the very beginning of DS and because of Wax Paper it has become important now as you cannot recover Honeycomb after making Wax Paper but you can recover it After making a Bee Box.

this is the reason players feel it should renewable at least in HAM due to its very limited amount (Antcombs).

However HAM is also considered the most Difficult DLC out of all so Honeycomb limitation is obvious since you need to defeat the Mant Queen inorder to gets it recipe in the first place. its a Boss Loot based item so its obviously made limited in HAM world.

1 hour ago, MWY said:

Renewing a World is literally restarting your game anew with stuff from previous world in your inventory coming with you as an extra, its a mechanic that is usable as a farming method but as far Honeycombs go, they are a limited resource from the very beginning of DS and because of Wax Paper it has become important now as you cannot recover Honeycomb after making Wax Paper but you can recover it After making a Bee Box.

Technically you can get the Honeycomb back by using a Deconstruction Staff twice on a Bundling Wrap. Kind of a waste of green gems though.

5 hours ago, MWY said:

this is the reason players feel it should renewable at least in HAM due to its very limited amount (Antcombs).

However HAM is also considered the most Difficult DLC out of all so Honeycomb limitation is obvious since you need to defeat the Mant Queen inorder to gets it recipe in the first place. its a Boss Loot based item so its obviously made limited in HAM world.

That's fine, but when someone is making requests or complaints about renewability, world-hopping is not what they're looking for and saying "it is renewable, world-hop" is just an intellectually dishonest way of trying to dismiss it. The only objects not "renewable" by this disingenuous metric are like, Webber's skull and stuff. If you don't think it should be possible to obtain more than a limited number of a resource in a given world, that's fine, but just argue that instead of acting like "renewable" doesn't have a meaning everybody understands.

In case it's not clear, I'm not weighing in on whether or not honeycombs should be renewable.

35 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

That's fine, but when someone is making requests or complaints about renewability, world-hopping is not what they're looking for and saying "it is renewable, world-hop" is just an intellectually dishonest way of trying to dismiss it. The only objects not "renewable" by this disingenuous metric are like, Webber's skull and stuff. If you don't think it should be possible to obtain more than a limited number of a resource in a given world, that's fine, but just argue that instead of acting like "renewable" doesn't have a meaning everybody understands.

In case it's not clear, I'm not weighing in on whether or not honeycombs should be renewable.

well nobody is dismissing anything here and I'm also only stating that certain items are Renewable thru World Reset/Hopping,
its not a dishonest way of trying to dismiss someone, only giving a solution to something that is not possible by other means.

I am even talking about if we can have certain items in shops as one of my Own topics currently is about getting Iron, Obsidian, Gems being made available in all DLCs thru shops. notice the amount of Dismission there plz x_x

Honeycombs and other stuff can also be bought in shops the same way....

I still wonder tho, why do we have Bamboo in Oddity shop despite being of no use in HAM...

Spoiler

(maybe in future we can get Icemaker 3000 Recipe in Tinker shop as it only requires Bamboo as a special ingredient)

I go back and forth about being able to buy honeycomb in Hamlet. I play the same way as you, horde all the items even the useless ones. JUST BECAUSE. So if the bundling wrap was to available I'd drown in packs of feathers and stingers.

But it would be a nice jump start on a ship wrecked world when you go to farm it.

The complain about world hopping being "dishonest" would be perfectly valid if you were stuck in a single world out of the three for the rest of the save file. But you aren't. 

Sure, you can refuse to do. But don't complain when you are sabotaging the bicycle you are riding. 

So, apparently world merging doesn't exist, and world hopping is Intellectually Dishonest. I can't understand playing the game while ignoring two of the most interesting mechanics with the biggest endgame potential... and then being surprised that you can't obtain more honeycombs.

1 minute ago, Sunset Skye said:

So, apparently world merging doesn't exist, and world hopping is Intellectually Dishonest. I can't understand playing the game while ignoring two of the most interesting mechanics with the biggest endgame potential... and then being surprised that you can't obtain more honeycombs.

Is it that BAD to put honeycomb inside a shop or have it obtainable easily in HAM?

Oh wait, lets have Volt Goat horns, Down Feathers and  Blueprint for Weatherpain inside HAM so we can get what we like without jumping or resetting worlds of any kind.

That is fair!

(also I am one of those guys that dislikes world hopping and resetting despite the fact I bought all 3 DLCs cause I just don't like playing that way)

6 minutes ago, MWY said:

Is it that BAD to put honeycomb inside a shop or have it obtainable easily in HAM?

Oh wait, lets have Volt Goat horns, Down Feathers and  Blueprint for Weatherpain inside HAM so we can get what we like without jumping or resetting worlds of any kind.

That is fair!

(also I am one of those guys that dislikes world hopping and resetting despite the fact I bought all 3 DLCs cause I just don't like playing that way)

Is it that BAD to put spider eggs inside a shop or have them easily obtainable in HAM?

I don't want to buy silk not kill spider monkeys. And I don't play webber. But I sure want Klei to give me MY way of getting stuff the way I want.

(Also I am one of those guys that dislikes killing spider monkeys or using oincs despite playing in hamlet cause I just don't like playing that way.)

28 minutes ago, Atsumame said:

Is it that BAD to put spider eggs inside a shop or have them easily obtainable in HAM?

I don't want to buy silk not kill spider monkeys. And I don't play webber. But I sure want Klei to give me MY way of getting stuff the way I want.

(Also I am one of those guys that dislikes killing spider monkeys or using oincs despite playing in hamlet cause I just don't like playing that way.)

very well dude, you win, we guys are not allowed to suggest anything that you guys disagree on, I apologize sincerely for even thinking I am right in any manner.

58 minutes ago, Atsumame said:

The complain about world hopping being "dishonest" would be perfectly valid if you were stuck in a single world out of the three for the rest of the save file. But you aren't. 

Sure, you can refuse to do. But don't complain when you are sabotaging the bicycle you are riding. 

58 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I don't really understand how either of you read that that way. World hopping isn't intellectually dishonest; responding to someone asking for something to be made renewable by saying it's renewable because you can world hop is. You know that's not what they're asking for and that that's not what anybody means when they talk about something being renewable.

1 hour ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I don't really understand how either of you read that that way. World hopping isn't intellectually dishonest; responding to someone asking for something to be made renewable by saying it's renewable because you can world hop is. You know that's not what they're asking for and that that's not what anybody means when they talk about something being renewable.

Again, from my actual serious answer you quoted: This would be perfectly valid if you were stuck in whatever world you started forever. But you aren't. You are free to get infinite of almost everything without destroying your base unlike the pre shipwrecked times, where this renewal problems where actually a legit issue.

To me this thread problem seems the same as if I were to complain I'm not able to craft lanterns in rog because I don't like and don't want to go in the caves. Everybody would roast me to death if I were to actually make a serious thread about this. 

54 minutes ago, Atsumame said:

Again, from my actual serious answer you quoted: This would be perfectly valid if you were stuck in whatever world you started forever. But you aren't. You are free to get infinite of almost everything without destroying your base unlike the pre shipwrecked times, where this renewal problems where actually a legit issue.

To me this thread problem seems the same as if I were to complain I'm not able to craft lanterns in rog because I don't like and don't want to go in the caves. Everybody would roast me to death if I were to actually make a serious thread about this. 

It's valid because it's reality: someone says "I want something to be renewable", you say "it is, world hop", you're being deliberately obtuse. Again, from my actual serious statement that you answered: if you want to argue that something shouldn't be renewable, do that, but don't do it by being a tool and acting like the word is functionally meaningless.

30 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

It's valid because it's reality: someone says "I want something to be renewable", you say "it is, world hop", you're being deliberately obtuse. Again, from my actual serious statement that you answered: if you want to argue that something shouldn't be renewable, do that, but don't do it by being a tool and acting like the word is functionally meaningless.

I removed my thread because of the same reason,

if we want something from one DLC in another, they tell us to world hop, if we point out something else is in the DLC that should only be available thru World hopping to other DLCs as they state, they say its irrelevant,

I gave up after this.

You can either argue with these guys or just give your suggestion and let them banter, that's my solution to this problem.

1 hour ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Except I'm not trying to argue that something should or shouldn't be renewable. I'm just telling that using other worlds is a perfectly valid way of renewing things that's been in the games for pretty much half a decade at this point. But apparently that's a no no because...?

If it's about limiting yourself to a single world (like hamlet only in this case) I do understand that it's limiting that certain stuff isn't renewable. But it's also the fun part of "insert world type" only games. In the case of this thread I think it's a fun thing that honeycombs are so rare vs rog (which can have upward of of 50+ honeycombs) and sw (which have an average of 30 scattered across islands).

1 hour ago, MWY said:

if we want something from one DLC in another, they tell us to world hop, if we point out something else is in the DLC that should only be available thru World hopping to other DLCs as they state, they say its irrelevant,

I gave up after this.

You can either argue with these guys or just give your suggestion and let them banter, that's my solution to this problem.

Wasn't it the iron/thule/obsidian/ruins gems in shops thread?  The one thread which actually made good arguments on why it wasn't really that needed because you can just get those resources in masses? Did you really delete that thread because people disagreed with you?

1 hour ago, MWY said:

I gave up after this.

I am sorry but that is just twisting the things that were said. Firstly the thing you suggested with some minerals being aviable in Hamlet had nothing to do with world hopping, it was just about having to travel to their repective DLC worlds to get them and some users trying to explain you that the devaluation of unlimted, too cheap minerals in shops was a problem of the suggestion. No one told you that you have to wordhop to get those minerals. We just explained that in order to amass MORE than there are by normal world generation you would have to make a sacrifice also known as giving up one DLC to worldhop. Given how powerful those items are and how Klei only wanted the average player to only have a certain amount of those items that is a fair cost.

If you dont like that answer, then fine. Everyone can have an opinion but twisting things this wasy is dishonest. Maybe that wasnt your intention but it came across to me this way.

The arugment in this thread between Atsumame and Faintly Macabre seems to come from a misunderstanding to why Macabre was responding. He didnt want people to give the answer "The thing you asked for is renewable through worldhopping" because that is quite an empty answer. Apart from a very few distinct items like the Things or the Eyebone EVERYTHING is renewable through worldhopping. It wasnt about crushing down on world hopping, it simply was about argumentation when talking about renewable things.

6 hours ago, Atsumame said:

Except I'm not trying to argue that something should or shouldn't be renewable. I'm just telling that using other worlds is a perfectly valid way of renewing things that's been in the games for pretty much half a decade at this point. But apparently that's a no no because...?

Except you're not telling anybody anything they don't know, and surely you realize that? Do you really think people don't know about going to other DLC's worlds?

If you think merging and hopping is a good enough solution, just say that. Don't call it "renewing". You know that's not what people are asking for.

19 hours ago, MWY said:

very well dude, you win, we guys are not allowed to suggest anything that you guys disagree on, I apologize sincerely for even thinking I am right in any manner.

No need to throw your dummy out of the pram, pal.

If something becomes more valuable, then surely that's less of a reason to make it renewable. After all, it's not like the game was in need of rebalancing to become easier.

If you cannot let go of stuff you will never use, and prefer to bundle up stacks of stingers in endless wraps, then clearly that is your psychological issue, and not a game design issue. If you actually use the wraps in the way they were intended, to keep things fresh, then you will find that between even just a single RoG world and a single SW world, there is more honeycomb to go around than you can sensibly use. You do not need 50 bee boxes in your base in single player.

Anyway, bundling wraps have made the game more convenient and easier, for years people played single player without that item being available at all. Now they have introduced them, and it did not take long for you to ask that we get an easy infinite supply of them. The demands to dumb the game down will just never stop, regardless of what the devs do.

Archived