44 minutes ago, Yunru said:

The pumps do fill the entire volume.

Each pump extracts from one square and each immediately adjacent block., which is why they alternate their orientation too.

And they can pump out fast, but not fast enough. Even if we filled the space with just pumps it'd take 1 to 2 seconds to vacuum.

With all this explanations I deeper understand genius of your solution. Thank you for your time. It eluded me at first, what this placement of pumps covers entire area.

To vacuum first cell, yes, we need some time. But we interested only in vacuum on last two cells - cells adjacent to exit door. How much gas spreaded so far?

Yunru, doesn't gas pressure in either side can affect the performance of this kind of setup? For example, high pressurized morb fart with more than 30 Kg/tiles, single fast opening door and PO2 will slip too much for those pumps to handle.

off the top of my head: try weight plate under exit facing checkpoint, hook to filter gate, mix with and gate for the atmo sensor, hook back to checkpoint.

then cry about duplicants randomly dropping carried items on the ground because the scheduler made them do it or it's break time.

23 hours ago, Xuhybrid said:

Looks like a really good waste of time and space and energy. Not that it matters if you or others use it. Just solving the problem is cool i guess.

But it saves precious dupes from getting wet, you monster!

In all honesty I did it for those that dislike waterlocks (the strange people they are :p ) and to see if I could.

Although I might build a couple just for aesthetics. 

On 26/06/2019 at 6:08 AM, Gurgel said:

Waaaah? I thought the point of the game was torturing dupes without quite killing them? 

These dupes try to sleep in the vacuum. Clearly discomfort is their kink so I am denying them that.

this is good. I have a suggestion, depending how you like it. Instead of adding 2 doors in the middle, you can create a little stairs, and then you will be able to add regular pumps to the middle part instead of tiny ones.

14 minutes ago, goatt said:

this is good. I have a suggestion, depending how you like it. Instead of adding 2 doors in the middle, you can create a little stairs, and then you will be able to add regular pumps to the middle part instead of tiny ones.

Tiny pumps are actually better because they pull gas from every tile they occupy (and two adjacent ones). 

The doors are specifically doors to ensure a certain amount of delay, unconnected to the dupe's athletics skill. 

Still, I've been playing around with moving the atmosensors that my make the doors redundant... I'm just waiting to max out athletics to fully stress test it. 

Actually, without the doors I may be able to mix and match pumps. You've given me something to think about. 

Couldn't do anything with big pumps, but I did manage to cut it down a bit.

image.thumb.png.e0a27d089839bd3dd266d2f879aac541.png

image.thumb.png.33e87a37a5f0f53a96dfa499968336d0.png

You can replace one of the middle blocks with an airflow tile for faster vacuuming, but only one due to the mini pumps' orientations. I don't in the above because if more delay is needed you can just copy the middle door and make it wider, which doesn't work with an airflow tile (beyond two wide at least).

Thanks to @abud I was able to improve vacuuming speeds...

By making it even larger.

image.thumb.png.d4870bd40569fd466ef836cf4a760211.png

The top doors are set to open when the corresponding bottom door opens, which traps a portion of the incoming gas to be vacuumed at it's leisure.

Not thoroughly tested, but I think it should reduce in effectiveness the more traffic it gets, since if the top portion isn't a vacuum when it opens it'll spill some gas into the bottom.

EDIT: Here's a slightly less proof-of-concept model:

image.thumb.png.1556c228b53652072c7585e3b9837b50.png

1 minute ago, abud said:

Why need big top portion? You can just limit it as big as the pump to speed-up vacuum.

The bigger the top portion either the more floods in or the quicker it empties.

Mostly because I like to build things to fit into rooms with 4 high open spaces at this point.

4 minutes ago, Yunru said:

The bigger the top portion either the more floods in or the quicker it empties.

Put a sensor on top. If top side does not vacuum yet, the top side didn't need to help vacuuming bottom.

I ended up saying **** it, and then built this thing that's much simpler than anything else I was trying:

image.thumb.png.51a71da98218cf83873b4862717400e2.png

image.thumb.png.d4da4e42028880c5b1369666414c95d7.png

Dupes are stupid. I should remember that more often.

They will always think the top path is valid while the door is open (which is only when the airlock is vacuuming or a little after), even though they'll never be able to reach it because the checkpoints will never let them pass.

Shortly after (i.e. the time set on the buffer) the airlock has finished vacuuming, the top door closes, so the dupe takes the lower path through the airlock.

May want to move the checkpoints further away though, as is they can open the first door, which is bad if you have two on opposite sides wanting to cross.

Archived