For those of you who prefer to slightly asphyxiate your dupes rather than get them wet, here's a foolproof airlock design that doesn't break pathing.

And has a slight chance of suffocating dupes in high traffic zones. But that can be solved by adding a pair of checkpoints to the outside as well.

image.thumb.png.2e3d0ab31fd2a5be3c39e0494ed45d27.png

The middle two doors are to slow the dupe down enough that the atmo sensors can pick up on the oxygen a dupe will have brought with it. This will work regardless of athleticism, because the doors have a set opening speed. The atmo sensors feed into an AND gate, which is linked to the two dupe checkpoints.

The gap between the dupe checkpoint and the out door is annoyingly necessary, as otherwise the door will open for the dupe stuck at the checkpoint.

(A large part of the bulk is also the redundancy for foolproofing it. You could probably cut down the width by two tiles if you remove the second internal door and it should still work fine in most cases.)

Suffocating ? Get an atmosuit !

But eh... with the atmo, dupes are not getting wet, so... use a liquid lock ! Faster, lighter, the circle is complete. Go back to the beginning. Yerk...

Just now, mathmanican said:

My favorite part is the copper, algae, and coal, natural blocks. Clearly this thing has been field tested extensively. ;) 

The test subject footage was rated too graphic to be shown :p

24 minutes ago, Yunru said:

The middle two doors are to slow the dupe down enough that the atmo sensors can pick up on the oxygen a dupe will have brought with it. This will work regardless of athleticism, because the doors have a set opening speed. The atmo sensors feed into an AND gate, which is linked to the two dupe checkpoints.

So the whole thing works on atmo-sensors only? Impressive!

Also impressively over-engineered, just get them wet is what I say. But I am the guy with the "as simple as possible" (i.e. KISS) approach, probably from too much experience doing engineering in the real world...

Why are there two atmo-sensors? They seem to be in the same pressure-space.

Just now, Gurgel said:

Why are there two atmo-sensors? They seem to be in the same pressure-space.

Because otherwise the dupe can pass through faster than the gas, opening both doors and ruining the whole thing.

2 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Because otherwise the dupe can pass through faster than the gas, opening both doors and ruining the whole thing.

So you need that gas does not spread immediately to the full room. Makes sense. After all you also need the direction the dupe is going. 

Care to also give the automation overlay and the settings on the two sensors? (Yes, I am too lazy to do them myself...)

Just now, Gurgel said:

Care to also give the automation overlay and the settings on the two sensors?

Not much to either: The sensors are set to "below 0", both go into an AND gate, and then that AND gate goes into the checkpoints.

8 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Not much to either: The sensors are set to "below 0", both go into an AND gate, and then that AND gate goes into the checkpoints.

That simple? I am impressed again! And I do retract my statement about over-engineering, this is strikingly elegant.

1 hour ago, Yunru said:

image.thumb.png.2e3d0ab31fd2a5be3c39e0494ed45d27.png

(A large part of the bulk is also the redundancy for foolproofing it. You could probably cut down the width by two tiles if you remove the second internal door and it should still work fine in most cases.)

Why not remove everything between checkpoints?

And possibly if you move sensors to the door (just rotate top pump, and move bottom one one cell up) it allways react in time?

By "in time" I means early than gas from one side reach another side. If gas moves quickly, it quickly turn sensor OFF, if it moves slowly it not pass 4 cells quick enough to mess with gases on another side.

And again, if dupe exhale after sensor allow passage, everything be messed up, so we need Atmo-suits

1 minute ago, Prince Mandor said:

Why not remove everything between checkpoints?

The doors are needed to slow the dupes down, and the pumps are needed from extraction coverage.

And possibly if you move sensors to the door (just rotate top pump, and move bottom one one cell up) it allways react in time?

That's actually something I'm working on (or was, on break atm). Doing so isn't enough to be able to remove both doors, but it might be enough to go down to just one door.

And again, if dupe exhale after sensor allow passage, everything be messed up, so we need Atmo-suits

Nah, dupes don't exhale enough to break it, given that the mini pumps are always running if there's gas.

The doors are needed to slow the dupes down, and the pumps are needed from extraction coverage.

And why we need to slow down dupes? If they run faster then gas spreads - it is not important. If they run slower, again it is not important

Just now, Prince Mandor said:

And why we need to slow down dupes? If they run faster then gas spreads - it is not important. If they run slower, again it is not important

Because they only just run faster. They move fast enough to hit the checkpoint as it turns on, completely bypassing it. The small time it takes for the exit door to open is enough that it's caught up, and then escapes.

33 minutes ago, Yunru said:

Because they only just run faster. They move fast enough to hit the checkpoint as it turns on, completely bypassing it. The small time it takes for the exit door to open is enough that it's caught up, and then escapes.

Possibly my English is not good enough. I do not understand.

Dupe moves fast, dupe moves slow... How this is important, in gas moving? To mix with gases on another side gas must pass up to door on another side. Gases important, not dupes

1 minute ago, Prince Mandor said:

Possibly my English is not good enough. I do not understand.

Dupe moves fast, dupe moves slow... How this is important, in gas moving? To mix with gases on another side gas must pass up to door on another side. Gases important, not dupes

If you don't slow the dupes down, the checkpoint won't stop them. If the checkpoint doesn't stop them, the door opens letting the gas out.

5 minutes ago, Yunru said:

If you don't slow the dupes down, the checkpoint won't stop them. If the checkpoint doesn't stop them, the door opens letting the gas out.

You design doesn't prevent this anyway. Door may be opened by another dupe moving from different direction. So, if you have multiple dupes entering and multiple dupes leaving at same time, you will have all doors open for a long period

4 minutes ago, Prince Mandor said:

You design doesn't prevent this anyway. Door may be opened by another dupe moving from different direction. So, if you have multiple dupes entering and multiple dupes leaving at same time, you will have all doors open for a long period

For very high traffic it is possible, hence my suggestion to stick addition checkpoints outside.

(Ignore the warnings and corpses, I abandoned it once testing was finished)

image.thumb.png.84de2f5399f6fb7d6665dcd514a282a0.png

If you set checkpoints outside, then why you need them inside ?

I trying to understand, which situation you trying to prevent?

Can you explain some scenario?

4 minutes ago, Yunru said:

For very high traffic it is possible, hence my suggestion to stick addition checkpoints outside.

(Forum quotation behave very strange on mobile)

4 minutes ago, Yunru said:

The internal checkpoints stop a dupe from exiting while the airlock is being vacuumed. The external checkpoints stop a dupe from entering while the airlock is being vacuumed.

Okay, I understand now. So, we need another two checkpoints outside of you airlock, on same signal as internal checkpoints. And then there will be no situation of all doors open together.

Did you test it, how long it takes to pump out all micrograms of gases if you have, say, 2 kg of gas at entrance?

Just now, Prince Mandor said:

Did you test it, how long it takes to pump out all micrograms of gases if you have, say, 2 kg of gas at entrance?

With 5kg on either side it took maybe two to three seconds.

With 5kg on either side it took maybe two to three seconds.

Is something changed in mechanic?

Creating vacuum with pumps allways was slow and boring process, if pumps doesn't fill entire volume. Gas splits in micrograms, and not became vacuum.

If they can pump out so fast, then why we need to stop dupes? Lets just put couple of pumps in a row, they will pump out quicker than gas arrive

The pumps do fill the entire volume.

Each pump extracts from one square and each immediately adjacent block., which is why they alternate their orientation too.

And they can pump out fast, but not fast enough. Even if we filled the space with just pumps it'd take 1 to 2 seconds to vacuum.

Archived