Woodie and maple syrup: how to restore a usefulness to the character that goes beyond the simple collection of wood

Woodie can equip Lucy and unlock the "maple syrup" tab.
With a wooden plank and two ropes he can build a wooden bucket.
He can then place a bucket on the birch trees.
When fully grown, birch trees will secrete raw syrup every few days (except in winter).
Raw syrup can be used as a sweetener in recipes instead honey, and is not edible.
But Woodie can put 4 raw syrup in a crock pot and get maple syrup. Only him.
Maple syrup has the same properties as butter and can be used as its equivalent in any recipe.
Not only that: the maple syrup can be given to the Bearger to make "friendship". For half a day (four minutes) the giant will not attack the players (except in case of attack) and will follow them with a heady expression. If a player gives an ax blow to a tree, the Beager will make a crash on the ground to help him break down large areas of logs. More maple syrups can be given to the Beager, for a maximum of 8 minutes of "friendship".
Maple syrup can also be used to recruit pigs and rabbits for long time, such as feeding them with 4 pieces of meat.
It can also be given to the pig king for 2 gold nuggets.
When the maple syrup deteriorates, it does not become rot. It crystallizes. Cooking it on the fire you can recover 2 of raw syrup.
=)

image.thumb.png.a17dd05d80bc42c7082bccba561e4c04.png

I still don't think this abilities will fit into Woodie, getting 1x butter per harvested tree sounds OP, Willow is already the no. 1 beekeeper and taming a giant, why the hell?!? The bearger isn't looking for a friend, he's looking for food during the winter and giving him only 1x syrup shouldn't make him 100% controllable. If he should be able to tame the bearger, what about the Goose/Goose? It's canadian and it's talking Woodie's language! That would make way more sense, wouldn't it?

25 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

Willow is already the no. 1 beekeeper and taming a giant, why the hell?!?

how do you mean?

---

Topic: I think a craftable butter-like would make the whole team too OP. Maybe to balance that: only Woodie can eat the maple syrup for 100% benefits, and all other characters only 50% benefits since they are not canadians

1 hour ago, Viktor234 said:

Whenever I play as Willow, I can harvest the Bee Boxes without taking any damage at all, even during spring. Ofc you need the know-how if you don't want to take any damage.

But any character can do that, not only willow

Making him able to craft maple syrup buckets is a good idea considering how much they play the "Canadian" stereotype. I think it should only be a substitute to honey and not butter. Unless Maple butter is a separate recipe than just syrup. Everyone should be able to turn the sap into syrup at the crockpot tough. It's more fun for everyone that way and it's not that hard to boil sap into syrup.

I would love to see new recipes involving maple syrup such as Maple Taffy ( 1 twig, 1 syrup, 2 ice) or Pancakes. (1 syrup, 1 butter/milk, 1 egg)

That would be a neat addition to Woody that really fits his character and benefits the whole team.

4 hours ago, Finnja said:

cool

2 hours ago, trinket_4 said:

Topic: I think a craftable butter-like would make the whole team too OP. Maybe to balance that: only Woodie can eat the maple syrup for 100% benefits, and all other characters only 50% benefits since they are not canadians

If the dishes prepared by Woodie gave only 50% of the benefits, they would be inferior to dragonpies and similar dishes, so the average player would still eat those, ignoring poor Woodie :(

1 hour ago, Catteflyterpill said:

It's interesting, and I think it really fits his whole 'stereotypical Candian' style. Now all we need is confirmation that Woodie was a pro hockey player.

Woodie never ceases to amaze :D

52 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

Sounds kinda complicated, but if streamlined a bit giving woodie a unique consumable could be neat.

I reckon the way to obtain it ought to be integrated into his beaver persona though, making it more appealing to turn into the beast.

The beaver form remains a big problem. I was just thinking how to handle it. However I am convinced that Woodie should be thought of as "two characters in one", normal and "cursed". So I think that if the beaver form had very different characteristics it would still be good. I have to think about it, I'll do a topic on that too ;)

39 minutes ago, SouthTom said:

Making him able to craft maple syrup buckets is a good idea considering how much they play the "Canadian" stereotype. I think it should only be a substitute to honey and not butter. Unless Maple butter is a separate recipe than just syrup. Everyone should be able to turn the sap into syrup at the crockpot tough. It's more fun for everyone that way and it's not that hard to boil sap into syrup.

I would love to see new recipes involving maple syrup such as Maple Taffy ( 1 twig, 1 syrup, 2 ice) or Pancakes. (1 syrup, 1 butter/milk, 1 egg)

That would be a neat addition to Woody that really fits his character and benefits the whole team.

The problem is that, if all the characters could create the maple syrup, Woodie would become useless after putting the wooden buckets. Anyone could change character with the heavenly portal and never take it again :'D

11 minutes ago, Mooagain said:

I think the bearger thing might be a little broken/unnecessary, but everything else looks great!

Although Maxwell is good at collecting resources, I think the Bearger is the fastest method of all (Wagstaff permitting). Giving Woodie the chance to "calm him down" automatically makes him the best resource collector in the end game. I think it fits well with Maxwell, who would be the best resource collector at the beginning of the game. :afro:

1 hour ago, Pop Guy said:

The problem is that, if all the characters could create the maple syrup, Woodie would become useless after putting the wooden buckets. Anyone could change character with the heavenly portal and never take it again :'D

Now that can be fixed by giving buckets durability, say; 10% will be lost each time a bucket is harvested for its raw syrup; like harvesting bunny traps. Beyond that, playing or not playing with the character should be their discression; after all the same argument can be made for all characters; make helmets and spears with Wigfrit, change. Make catapults, and spotlights with Winona, change. Make Bernies with Willow, change. Make books with Wickerbottom, change. Make living logs, traps and spiky armors with Wormwood, change. Make baloons with Wes, change...

2 hours ago, Pop Guy said:

this makes slightly less sense but what if he gained sap from a drop from a tree it would encourage him to chop down trees

I was more thinking that he could make syrup that is essentially like taffy but is imperishable and increases or stalls the log meter for Woodies allowing them to better handle their beaver form

Archived