Moving heavy objects and Beefalo to boats should be re-implemented

As of the most recent update, you can no longer carry heavy objects to boats, nor can you board a boat while on a beefalo.

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Players can no longer board boats while mounted or heavy lifting

I really think this change should be reverted. Here are my reasons:

Heavy Objects

Heavy objects have always been a pain to carry. You can't equip any hand or chest slot items while carrying one, and you're severely slowed down. The only option for potentially faster transport is beefalo. Boats used to be a really cool alternative option. While not nearly as fast as a beefalo, it still allowed you to carry multiple of them at once and move them around at a faster pace than walking with them on your back, as long as you carried them to and from the boat. It was especially helpful for suspicious marble sculptures because the 3 parts of them are normally scattered around the map and need to be carried to one spot.

I thought this was completely intentional. The Celestial Altar consists of 3 heavy objects you need to find and carry to a lunar fissure to activate. Moving all 3 of them, one by one, to even the nearest fissure would be a tedious and unfun task, let alone moving them to a fissure of your choice -- perhaps on the other side of the island for convenience's sake. Rather than moving them one by one to the fissure of choice, one could sail their boat there, carry the pieces one by one to the boat, and then sail the boat around the island. It's a much more engaging process than simply walking to and from the area they spawn. This works especially well because the area they spawn in seems to always be very close to shore:

Spoiler

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Seeing this removed takes away some of the fun of coming up with your own plans and strategies for playing the game -- the one thing that I enjoy the most about Don't Starve and Don't Starve Together. I understand fixing exploits such as killing Bee Queen by standing still on a boat with catapults, but I don't agree with removing things like this, especially when they're functioning properly and aren't really game breaking in any way.

Beefalo

The idea of riding beefalo is really cool. In-game, though, it's really inconvenient. You have to take constant care of it for 15+ days, keeping it fed with its 300 calorie per day hunger rate and making sure it to keep it safe, keeping in mind stuff such as mating seasons and the like. All in a multiplayer setting, where the beefalo doesn't follow you when you disconnect. You're incapable of doing most actions while on one, it still slowly loses domestication even after the taming process is done, and a frog rain will very likely kill it unless you see it as soon as it starts and head to your beefalo to ride it for the entire duration of the rain, as a single frog landing too close will start a fight with the beefalo and, since you can't ride the beefalo while it's fighting, it's probably going to die to the sheer number of frogs falling from the sky.
With all of this in mind, I feel like beefalo should be allowed to go into boats. It wouldn't be a huge change, but it would at least make them a little more worthwhile, as you won't have to leave them behind whenever you're going to the lunar islands.

I hope the developers of this beta read this post and eventually revert this change. Please feel free to discuss your reasons if you happen to agree or disagree with my opinions.

My base is at the most awkward spot on the map. I set up a bridge of anchored rafts to be able to take my beefalo across. Now I can't, so the only way to get him literally anywhere useful is to burn through a good chunk of the day with walking.

I don't care about moving statues onto the boat. Some people talk about using statues for shadow piece cheese and shielding for hound waves. Shadow pieces can still be cheesed easily regardless, and using the statues as a shield isn't useful in a practical sense. How often are you just sitting on your boat waiting for a huge hound wave?

I hope that they removed beefalo from boats for bigger reasons, like a bigger cargo boat that beefalo can ride in, or if beefalo themselves can swim instead of ride in a boat. It'd be pretty lame if your beefalo can't get to the islands. It already can't be used at all if you decide to venture into the caves.

Are heavy object lost when they sink? Then I agree the removement. About the Beefoalo, I think it'd nice to bring them to the island. But seeing boats as sheds is amusing, If sea monsters appear or frog rain extends on the coean it's likely OP wouldn't use boats anymore.

2 hours ago, SteamMonkey said:

gotta say i was honestly sorta shocked at how many people care about the beefalo thing. I didn't realize that many people actually tamed them. It's always seemed like too much of a chore for what you get out of it. 

Are ya serious? I’ve always wanted to ride them when I first saw them back when sanity was a new thing. RIDING BEEFALO LIKE A BOSS SINCE DAWN OF THE TIME!

7 hours ago, hl3bekliyenadam said:

Are ya serious? I’ve always wanted to ride them when I first saw them back when sanity was a new thing. RIDING BEEFALO LIKE A BOSS SINCE DAWN OF THE TIME!

being 'cool' and being useful / viable for pretty much anything are two different things. I was surprised because I just don't see them as worth the effort and even less so with the new world generation. Almost every one of my worlds has generated like a starfish with a TON of rivers between each area. Bridges are mandatory and with Beefalo not being able to use those now, I can't see them being any faster or really useful in any way. Definitely not worth the effort to tame and maintain them. 

Archived