Cave Generation is a bit Wonky

Noticed this after playing a few games.    In current one there was a single ruins unit right next to the cave entrance between two areas of grass.    After some exploring found another single ruins unit (this one with completed machine) in the mud flats.    So they seem to be very dispersed and finding them is a bit more of a guessing game.  In another games one ruins portion was pretty normal but the other was nowhere close by and we gave up looking for it.

more than a bit wonky. ultra mega wonk. the mud biomes don't connect like they used to, ruins biomes appear in about 7 different isolated areas, the village biomes don't lead to ruins. Lichen biomes lead to dead ends. All these biomes that used to appear in order, are now appearing randomly.

Hey I made a post about cave generation not a long time ago. I pointed out that cave generation could go wrong if many branches are missing or the map loop is set on "always". This results into things like seperated islands or an Atrium near the island which can be potentially connect with each other. Mayb it was an attempt to fix it?

You know how if you go the world settings and change one of the settings from "default" to "more", things go haywire and "more" is really "MORE!!!!"? That's kinda what happened to cave generation since it seems that world looping has been upped significantly

9 hours ago, Mencken said:

Perhaps but to veterans of the game increased difficulty makes it more interesting.   Before you could clear ruins in two days, kill fuelweaver, reset and redo.  Becomes routine.

I don't understand. How does random generation equate to increased difficulty when nothing in the ruins itself got harder, just more random without any sort of sense?

Instead of having to scout the caves and making your way to the ruins, some of the things the current ruins gen does is:

• Allows for the full ancient psuedostation to be a the doorsteps of your cave entrance.
  • The same of course goes for the labyrinth for the ancient guardian.
  • Place the lichen biome and spulmonkey pods out of sight and worry, with them no longer being an indicator/barrier to the ruins that even veterans of the game have to be wary of.
  • Place the parts of the ruins at opposite ends of the map. Somehow having to walk to different parts of the map makes it challenging to veterans? More like unnecessarily tedious and boring. 

What I've described above is almost exactly what this world here did.

Spoiler

5ce88caaad2e6_uglyworldgen_Moment(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.6adf023a24e4d64db4cc15c53fc85f81.jpg

Spoiler

5ce88cac83d22_uglyworldgen_Moment(3)_LI.thumb.jpg.94d43561b2df9e889a3743ee0a59c8b8.jpg

Ruins generation in single-player DS is more interesting and better than what happened to the ruins generation in DST atm, since at least you'd have to go through the challenge of finding the ruins rather then the ruins being at your doorstep. 

I hope that the current generation that happened to the caves was due to a bug and not intentional, because it's really boring and tedious.People said they wanted random, but I for one am not a fan of what was done to the cave generation. I of course will have to live with it if it's intentional, but would prefer the previous cave generation. 

That's just my feedback though.

Is it just me or have some of the ruins biome colors on the map changed as well? The white biome with a few statures and nightmare vents at the edges of the ruins biomes with the broken clockworks is now greenish on the map instead of white.

I'm hoping and guessing that this is just a bug that is happening because it's relation to the overworld's drastic world generation changes. Caves are unplayable for me right now. A little bit of randomness in your exploring is fine, but right now it's way too random and nothing makes sense.

I just went into a cave entrance and it spawned me at a florid postern in the caves with no cave stairs. I ran around and uncovered half the map and never found a stairway up. I had my caves set to 1 size smaller than default and the forest set to default size. 

1 hour ago, SteamMonkey said:

I just went into a cave entrance and it spawned me at a florid postern in the caves with no cave stairs.

My theory on this is that it's caused by the recent fix to set pieces: 

On 5/22/2019 at 5:31 PM, ScottHansen said:

Fixed Set Pieces overlapping the water (requires regenerating your world)

I think the cave stairs formation is a naturally generating set piece, and that when it happens to spawn (partially) on water it gets removed, causing there to be less stairs than sinkholes (The game will take you to the florid postern if a sinkhole you enter doesn't have matching stairs, or if stairs you climb don't have a matching sinkhole).

Archived