SPOM Noob Trap Edition.

Just wanted to show my little S.P.O.M. With some comments.

1. It could self power, but instead I externally power it. However, If the external power fails, it keeps running self-powered forever. Basically your oxygen supply can't fail. One less thing to worry about.

2. Thus it only uses hydrogen when the power fails, and otherwise exports it all elsewhere (AETN / Rocket / Storage )

3. I do make sure both gasses always have somewhere to go, with the last resort excess being vented into space so it never clogs the system.

4.I use a automation filter to prevent hydrogen getting into the oxygen line, however a mechanical filter would work.

5.The temp output is controllable, and done by a sensor at the location I am cooling, and usually makes most of my non-industrial base temp neutral.

2.thumb.PNG.2a293d0c9273c8b02fc14782b6172728.PNG3.thumb.PNG.bccbc30349d7ba31dcb8a9a02c00c05c.PNG

2 hours ago, Hellshound38 said:

4.I use a automation filter to prevent hydrogen getting into the oxygen line, however a mechanical filter would work.

While this is necessary while "priming" the system, once you've filled the upper space sufficiently with Hydrogen, you can disconnect your filtration system.  As long as neither output ever backs up, and you've got your output pumps controlled by automation to only pump full packets, you will never get a wrong output.

I've given up using bloody mechanical filters on my O2 supply, as every now and again, a single ****ty packet of Hydrogen pops out and breaks something, despite my system having 100% power up time and all other necessary pipe blockage prevention.

1 hour ago, Craigjw said:

I've given up using bloody mechanical filters on my O2 supply

I have used mechanical filter since cycle 150 on my 1500 cycle world and it never failed. The thing is that you need two bridges following each other so when you receive a 1kg packet you steal 999g and then there is one gram left so that's why there is another bridge to pickup this 1g packet.

Spoiler

07D66AAF-4B0B-40B7-A653-0D3DC06F28D8.thumb.jpeg.0757c72d37a83871601798f6bf035626.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

Can you show an example in debug perhaps, I'm not understanding this diagram.

Sure.

Picture thanks to @Kasuha

Spoiler

The flow is going up on the main pipe.

1F43D2B6-A87E-4566-B56B-1A6C054151AE.png.84765ab177b290f9b0d9be237c67bb4e.png

Here is the old thread.

Spoiler

9 hours ago, PhailRaptor said:

While this is necessary while "priming" the system, once you've filled the upper space sufficiently with Hydrogen, you can disconnect your filtration system.  As long as neither output ever backs up, and you've got your output pumps controlled by automation to only pump full packets, you will never get a wrong output.

It seems to depend on a couple factors, as for running it for 2000+ cycles I would occasionally have a hydrogen packet get though.

-The lag causes by late game / jetpacks / being off-screen

-The rate you run the bottom pumps, as lowering the atmo setting increases oxygen output slightly at the cost of a small amount of energy.

8 hours ago, AMBLCO said:

Hide contents

1F43D2B6-A87E-4566-B56B-1A6C054151AE.png.84765ab177b290f9b0d9be237c67bb4e.png

It should be noted that all the junctions are backwards.  Since this image was made, the OUTPUT side of the bridge is green while the input is white.  Same with the valve.  So, if you build it, you need this:

image.png.5e5f6264610726a7ad3d92328325a6b3.png

I often build them like this:

image.png.1430ddbce9e441875afd45eaf58d8a60.png

12 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I often build them like this:

image.png.1430ddbce9e441875afd45eaf58d8a60.png

To be sure that no packets slip through you need two bridges going in the loop. The first bridge a packet encounters should be the closest to the input of the valve and the second the closest to the output of the valve.

3 hours ago, AMBLCO said:

To be sure that no packets slip through you need two bridges going in the loop. The first bridge a packet encounters should be the closest to the input of the valve and the second the closest to the output of the valve.

Or, if you're using multiple mechanical filters in a row (a gas sorting/storage facility for example), just put a valve at the beginning of the line to allow no more than around 995/9,950 grams of gas/liquid. 

If there is never a full packet, you never need the second bridge or overflow loop. 

I use this design, I think it's simple and it works great.

Spoiler

image.png.8200d3b6cecd10d313673ea2ddad235e.pngimage.thumb.png.87e3e1562a66fb610b82484cec1719c2.png

All the atmo-sensors are set to above 800g and the hydrogen generator has no automation.

Normally this setup never runs out of power but if it is idle for a long time it can run out. I ship my oxygen to exosuits that are in front of the bedrooms so I only cool a bit of oxygen for the night.

If you want cold and compact oxygen generation the previous disign is probably better.

On 5/24/2019 at 6:45 AM, AMBLCO said:

This is a very good point and definitely true if you're running pipes close to capacity.  Most times when I'm filtering, its shortly after a gas pump, so generally I'm at 50% capacity.   The only time I've ever had packets slip by was when the output from the filter was backed up -- and in that case, a second bridge isn't going to fix the problem.  

Here is a much more robust solution that I frequently use:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4c9dcf5bd111c2e528c9b3d186601ab9.png

image.png.52e93a9d36c09ff3e9aac11196c26439.png

In this solution, we see that the pump is on when there is adequate pressure within the room, and there is no air in the feedback loop.  The bridge split after the filter is a sensor for when the filter's output backs up. Ideally, this feedback line would be a couple of pipe segments longer, but as the non-filtered air simply gets returned to the room the pump is in, its not necessary in this particular example.  Anyway, the pump turns off when the feedback detects gas, which gives time for the pipe to clear so that the filter isn't overloaded.

Archived