Helping alleviate some issues

This is my hope to alleviate all the problems with the hounds and pengulls.

People seem to be getting all up in arms, so a simple solution. Instead of Klei doing anything, I'm working on making a client-side mod that will keep the general feel of the mutated beasties but greatly tone down the gorey aspects of them.

Agree or disagree, the fan base has spoken. Many people are uncomfortable with these designs.
I don't believe they need to be removed or anything of that like. I feel that little steps on giving people an alternative would be best and could go a long way.

So like a toggle, this will be entirely client-sided, meaning other people can see what they want without the game being affected. If there are any specific issues with any of the new creatures, please let me know and I can attempt to reskin them as well and tone down their factors.

It is with all my hope that if these are seen in a positive light, that even Klei can promote this for the safety and happiness of their fans.

Thank you

Edit: Do be aware that I have other obligations to attend to! I will update with tests of the skins in about a few days time. I am trying to keep it all looking like it was that way originally.

Also, if I see anyone starting drama in here you will be immediately reported from this chat. Please be civil.

Just now, Omaremad74 said:

The hero we need, but not the hero we deserve.

Thank you for your work

Crossing my fingers I can get a design that still sticks true to these little nasties but allows people to feel safer.

Community helps community. :wilson_blush:

I appreciate the effort here. It would suck for some people to have to pick between their comfort and a game they love. Its really cool of you to do that, so we dont have to worry about losing the ghastly little buggers. Cheers!

Just now, Lemonsnoot said:

I appreciate the effort here. It would suck for some people to have to pick between their comfort and a game they love. Its really cool of you to do that, so we dont have to worry about losing the ghastly little buggers. Cheers!

Hey that's what a community is for, right? haha

There was a client side mode that changes their skin made yesterday, however.

My friend is making another mod which turns them into moon rock looking fellers.

But what's the gory about people are talking about?

Just now, -Variant said:

There was a client side mode that changes their skin made yesterday, however.

My friend is making another mod which turns them into moon rock looking fellers.

But what's the gory about people are talking about?

I did see that! Which is nice!

I wish them the best on that! I want to see it! This is only minor tweaks so they feel and look the same but with only the unsettling bits removed.

In the mutated pengulls build there are bits of viscera and such in it's frozen skeletal body. The hounds are almost entirely furless and have a mouth extending down it's length. People, as far as I can tell, seem to be okay with the spiders and the like, if not, let me know.

19 hours ago, osmRhodey said:

People, as far as I can tell, seem to be okay with the spiders and the like, if not, let me know.

The spiders are living inside a queen's mutated carcass. If anything I would have thought that would be more offensive then the hounds and pengulls.

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The spiders are living inside a queen's mutated carcass. If anything I would have thought that would be more offensive then the hounds and pengulls.

They’re not “offended” by the zombie hounds and pengulls. They have a phobic reaction to them. This type of thing is not subject to reason or syllogistic arguments (I.e., if you’re bothered by X morbid thing, you must also be bothered by Y morbid thing, otherwise your inconsistency demonstrates that you’re not *really* bothered by X morbid thing at all and we don’t have to respect your request). 

Many spider moms have web dens they carry on their backs to transport eggs and young hatchlings. 

And I understand the reference. I'm not bothered by obscene gore in movies but I'm bothered by dead children (which mostly are non-gory by media principle). Some people don't mind seeing dead kids in movies but detest any amount of gore. They're similar in nature, but not equatable. 

It's not the skinless or perhaps visible organs or whatever that bothers me on the hounds. It's the mouth. The MOUTH!!!!  What do they do, flap _their entire bodies_ in order to bite you?  The mouth even goes past where the stomach that the mouth is FOR, would be!  How would they even _swallow_ or digest what they're chomping with their entire bodies?  It's just...so...

(shudders and squishes herself into the corner)

I'm fine with ordinary zombies.  But body horror in the...I can't figure out how to word it.  In the...not making regular body parts that already exist and are in their correct places look bloody or injured or rotting or whatever, but _putting parts where they SHOULDN'T BE_, (at least, not on that kind of creature, which you _thought_ was a familiar, safe thing to look at)...THAT'S what bothers me.  Yeah, deep-sea creatures are creepy as hell.  Alien looking too.  There's a reason the Lovecraftian stuff comes from The Depths.  But...they're _sea creatures_.  They're SUPPOSED to look like that.  These are, supposedly, very very stylized cartoon dogs.  Doggies are not supposed to split in two.

(actually now that I think about it it's more mouths/faces/holes that creep me out, being where they shouldn't.  I mean, I watch Steven Universe and I don't GLEH! out of my chair whenever I see a fusion with multiple eyes... : P)

Anyway THANK YOU for the mod(s).  I'll definitely use one when they're out, and rate them up.  :)

...Notorious

Apologies!! I've actually been super swamped with work and interviews!

Attempting to get back onto this project has been a bit of hell.

The work will be shared here when I have enough done and the mods will be uploaded when all of the work is out of beta.(as that's likely to be the time I finally get to finish everything and have free time)

I haven't been meaning to leave this on such a back burner. Life simply calls. :wilson_dilemma:
Thank you though for feedback and notions of what's really bugging people! 

On 5/19/2019 at 3:30 PM, osmRhodey said:

This is my hope to alleviate all the problems with the hounds and pengulls.

People seem to be getting all up in arms, so a simple solution. Instead of Klei doing anything, I'm working on making a client-side mod that will keep the general feel of the mutated beasties but greatly tone down the gorey aspects of them.

Agree or disagree, the fan base has spoken. Many people are uncomfortable with these designs.
I don't believe they need to be removed or anything of that like. I feel that little steps on giving people an alternative would be best and could go a long way.

So like a toggle, this will be entirely client-sided, meaning other people can see what they want without the game being affected. If there are any specific issues with any of the new creatures, please let me know and I can attempt to reskin them as well and tone down their factors.

It is with all my hope that if these are seen in a positive light, that even Klei can promote this for the safety and happiness of their fans.

Thank you

Edit: Do be aware that I have other obligations to attend to! I will update with tests of the skins in about a few days time. I am trying to keep it all looking like it was that way originally.

Also, if I see anyone starting drama in here you will be immediately reported from this chat. Please be civil.

Thanks for working on this!

Archived