Boats should be sped up a little bit

I am loving all the content to be found, and the boats are a concept I enjoy. Portable bases, everyone! But one minor complaint I have is that masts and oars don't really boost the speed of the boat that much, even if you stack them. They should be sped up a great deal because right now if you want to find the Lunar Island, you'll need to slowly sail around at sea in hope of finding it.

Bigger rafts when?

If you stack a totally impractical and ludicrous amount of masts, then it becomes much faster, but yes the boat is too slow in normal gameplay. Think of how long it takes you to discover the whole map by running around... now think how long it'll take you to discover the even bigger ocean map going at like 1/5th of your walking speed. yikes. 

I am curious about the reason for this. Is it to encourage people to use boats for bases and discourage them to use boats for exploring? In SW, players often sail around the edges of an island to map it, even though it costs boat durability, because it’s faster. Or maybe it’s to encourage players to save sailing for later in the game, when you have more resources? 

Boat momentum makes them tricky to land without  damage. Once I jumped onto the lunar island and then somehow was unable to jump back because I guess the boat was too far away. I consoled back, but getting it closer without hitting the land was hard. It would be great to have a dingy like the cork canoe in Hamlet, that you could keep in inventory, something too light for long distance travel but good for short trips.

2 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Is it to encourage people to use boats for bases and discourage them to use boats for exploring?

I mean, they're said that they'll be "adding more content to both the islands and the sea," so having slow boats for exploration wouldn't make sense to me. They're rather nice for base building though.

What if you could make a speedboat that's specialized for exploring that you could ride with your friends? That would make traveling by sea much more enjoyable than the current speeds we're given

I think the problem mostly is because boats in DST are quite large and have momentum, so it's too slow to change direction. Try to avoid sea rocks (forget the name) and you'll see. You'll need to steering a lot or raise the mast and row the boat yourself. So in order to speed up the boats, it should be easier to change the momentum, like click 5 times at max

I hope there become more boat options: bigger but slower boats, smaller but faster boats, reinforced boats, better sails, boat lanterns, sea chests. 
Hopefully even completely anchored and connecting seabase platforms based on the boat physics. 

7 hours ago, TurtleKitty said:

I hope there become more boat options: bigger but slower boats, smaller but faster boats, reinforced boats, better sails, boat lanterns, sea chests. 
Hopefully even completely anchored and connecting seabase platforms based on the boat physics. 

All I want is a full fledged pirate ship.

Archived