A Seafarer’s Scrawlings: Return of Them Documentation (but in the right forum this time)

In this thread, I’m going to document what I’ve found about the Return of Them beta. Feel free to add your own contributions. 

I’m not limiting myself to seafaring-related documentation. Seems like the main feature of the update, though.

Boats:

These are not your grandmas Shipwrecked boats, no siree! These are much cooler. These are bona-fide floating platforms, about 1 turf in radius. They can move, and they have momentum. Multiple players can work together for easier piloting of the ship, but one is possible. Everything I’ve tested can be placed on these boats, so long as they fit and the boat is in a good mood. Sometimes it doesn’t like you.

Awakening:

I’m yet to hear an official name for this. I’m sure it’s there and I missed it like a complete chump. It is a new stat that replaces Sanity in lunar biomes. By default, it rises noticeably quickly, however, one does not wish to be Awoken most of the time, in the sense that they don’t want to be insane, most of the time. Sanity is converted 1:1 into Awakening and vice verse (they’re really the same stat under the hood), therefore entering the lunar biomes while insane is beneficial.  (Lunacy is the name in the games code, but the code also thinks Webber is a robot. Probably lunacy is the official name)

New Nautical Tab:

Spoiler

Note: These items are all made at the Think Tank, a structure in the science tab that costs 4 Boards. Requires Science Machine.

Boat kit: 4 Boards. 

Right-Click in water to deploy a boat. Has 200 HP, which can be recovered with wooden items... in Alone mode only?[confirmation needed] After taken an unknown and seemingly somewhat random amount of damage, boats spring leaks, causing damage over time. Damaged by crashing into land.

Oar: 2 Logs.

Allows player to give an (unanchored) boat a push. Attempting to use too quickly (I.e. animation canceling) will splash the player and result in a message. 500 Uses. Amusingly, you can row continents, though to no avail.

Anchor Kit: 2 Boards, 1 Rope, 1 Stone.

Place on a boat. Prevents the boat from moving while active. Takes about three second to toggle. Due to a bug, it’s actions are labeled “Lover Anchor Anchor” and “Raise Anchor Anchor”.

Mast: 4 Boards, 2 Rope, 4 Silk.

Pushes boat in the direction it is facing. Can be enabled and disabled with an action.

Steering Wheel Kit: 2 Boards, 1 Rope.

Click to enter or exit steering mode. While in steering mode, clicking controls the mast direction, somehow. The correlation between click location and turn directionis confusing at best, leading me to discover the use for the next item.

Boat Patch: 1 Board, 2 Stingers.

Place on a leak to patch it. Once placed, renders on the boat surface, but permits objects to be placed upon it. Does NOT restore boat HP.

Anchor Figure Sketch: 1 Papyrus.

Is a sketch. Of an anchor. Like, for the Potter’s Wheel. The statue costs to stone along with the normal sculpture stuff.

New Celestial Tab:

Spoiler

Note: These all require the Fully-Assembled Celestial Altar.

Moon Glass Axe: 2 Sticks, 3 Moon Glass

Chops Double, but only has 100 uses.

Glass Cutter: 1 Board, 6 Moon Glass

Not for gutting Glass. Deals 65 damage as a weapon.

Moon Crater Turf: 1 Moon Rock, 2 Moon Glass

Celestial Forest Turf

Bath Bomb: 6 Lume Tree Blossoms, 1 Nitre

When placed in a Hot Spring, Moon Glass will crystallize.

Butterfly Figure Sketch: 1 Papyrus

A sketch for a butterfly statue.

”Moon” Figure Sketch

A sketch of a moon with a chunk missing.

Biomes:

Spoiler

Shattered Forest: Spawns as an isolated island. Entering the biome replaces Sanity with Awakening. 

Contains Shattered Spider Dens, Lune Trees, Saplings (retextured), Celestial Fissures, “Carrots” (Actually Carrats), Hot Springs, Saladmanders, Moon Glass, Stone Fruit Bushes, 3 unique Inviting Formations

Rocky Beach: Spawns as an isolated island. Pretty barren.Entering the biome replaces Sanity with Awakening.

Contains rocks, flint, reeds, twigs, sea bones, anenemies and kelp.

Mobs:

SpoilerPuffin: 50 HP

Puffin: 50 HP

Like a normal bird, but can land in water and is adorable. When landing in water, it becomes wet. Can drop seeds.

Saladmander: 900 HP

A surprisingly tanky little neutral mob. Drops leafy meat. Spawns in the Shattered Forest. After absorbing anought heat, a Saladmander will bloom, turning red, learning to fight with fire and dropping Dragonfruit. Only one Saladmander will use a heat source at a time, if two attempt to, they’ll do a little alien haka to fight for dominance. 

Shattered Spider: 250 HP

Attacks in a small conical AOE, but doesn’t hurt it’s allies. Can be befriended by Webber, though judging by their quotes, they are *not* happy to do so. Spawns from the Shattered Spider Den

Gestalt: HP Unknown

Only spawns when Awoken. I’ve been unable to combat it so far. Causes annoying effects, such as sleeping or slowness.

Anenemie: N/A HP

Technecally more of an object. Self-resetting trap/damage source, hitting for a 60 damage. Can be dug up after it attacks.

Moonrock Pengull: 100 HP

Acts like a Pengull, but is hostile. Despite it’s name, it only drops monster meat and ice. Spawns in the Shattered Forest during winter.

Carrat: 25 HP

Spawns when a “carrot” is picked in the Fractured Forest. Acts like a rabbit. Drops leafy meat and a carrot seed when killed or murdered in the inventory.

Horror Hound: 100HP

Rises from the corpse of ordinary hounds killed in the fractured forest. More bark then bite. A Saladmander can kill it without a second glance. Has a strong insanity aura, making *beneficial* in the fractured forest, as it counters Awakening.

Mothling (Pet): 1 Moon Moth, 1 Flower Salad at Rock Den

Is my new favourite pet. If properly fed, It glows, keeping Charlie at bay. It seems there is now a new “Meta Pet”.

Items:

Spoiler

Kelp Fronds: Can be eaten for +10 hunger, -10 sanity, -3 health

Cooked Kelp: Can be eaten for +10 hunger, -5 sanity

Seawreath: 12 Kelp. Constantly drains sanity (Decreases Awakening). Rots over time. Vanishes whe dropped, presumably due to a bug.

Driftwood Piece: Found in the sea or chopped from Driftwood. Burns. Can repair boats. Not used in crafting, or at least isn’t yet. Wicker suggests it will be.

Stone Fruit: Can be mined when placed on ground for Ripe Stone Fruit (70%), Stone Fruit Sprout (5%) or a Rock (25%)

Stone Fruit Sprout: A pinecone, but for Stone Fruit Bushes. 5% Chance to drop from Stone Fruit when mined.

Ripe Stone Fruit: Can be eaten, no effect. 70% chance to drop from Stone Fruit.

Cooked Stone Fruit: Can be eaten, no effect.

Lume Tree Blossom: Used in crafting. Can be eaten, but seems to have no effect.

Moon Moth Wings: Can be eaten, adding 15 Sanity

Rocky Beach Turf: Obtained by pitchforking the Rocky Beach.

Bull Reed: A whip-type weapon with decay instead of durability.

Objects:

Spoiler

Think Tank: 4 Boards. Gives acces to the Nautical tab.

Flare: 1 Grass, 1 Sticks, 1 Nitre: Can be lit with a torch to briefly reveal your location on the cheap.

Sea Stack: Spawns in large empty patches of water to damage your boat. Can not be mined or interacted with, and I want credit for testing that because you have to get *really* close to things to use them but you bounce if you collide.

Leak: Damages a boat over time. Spawns when a boat runs into land or a sea stack. Continuing to collide will “upgrade” the leak. Can be destroyed with a boat patch.

Boat Fragments: Spawns alongside Boards when a boat capsizes, or found in special aquatic set pieces. Has no use and is frustratingly difficult to destroy. Doesn’t become wet, despite being in water. Can only be removed by flame.

Shoals: Cannot be inspected, interacted or fished. Purely cosmetic. (For now, there are Antchovies in the game files)

Fractured Spider Den: Like a Spilagmite, but for fractured spiders.

Sea Bones: Spawns on islands. Can be hammered for bone shards.

Moon Glass: Gives Moon Shards when mined.

Hot Spring: Throwing a Bath Bomb in causes Moon Glass to grow, eventually.

Celestial Fissure: Emits light and Awakens nearby players, varying based on Moon cycle. Each is a potential place to build the Celestial Altar.

Lume Tree: A tree that can be cut to release Moon Moths, Lume Tree Blossoms and Logs.

Sapling (retextured): A cooler looking sapling. Purely cosmetic differences.

Celestial Altar: Place the three parts of the Altar upon a Celestial Fissure to create this. Gives access to the Celestial crafting tab (6 items)

Stone Fruit Bush: Grows Stone Fruit. Withers in Summer.

Stone fruits can be mined to turn them into ripe stone fruits that are actually edible. Examination files imply they might do this over time by themselves but I have yet to witness this happening.

Car-rats spawn on the lunar island posing as carrots. They can be caught with regular traps and will drop leafy meat when murdered.

Examination files also imply that fruitdragons (file name for Saladmanders) ripen over time.

There is a new critter pet called the Mothling made with a moon moth and a flower salad. It passively emits light when full being the first actually useful critter in the game. Hopefully they do something similar with the other ones.

A new item called the flare has been added that can be lit and I assume shows the location of it's deployment to anyone that looks onto the map. Pretty much just a cheap and probably temporary moonrock.

Bull kelp found on the island drop a whip weapon similar to the tail o three cats that goes bad the more you use it as a weapon. It is also plantable but I have yet to figure out how to get it to plant.

That's all i've got for now.

3 hours ago, The 2C3D said:

Horror Hound: ? HP

The command c_spawn(“moonhound”) creates a normal hound that dies after a few seconds for no clear reason. Attempted on and off the Fracured Island at multiple levels of Sanity/Awakening.  I have also skipped through 5000 days, 100 at a time, summoning hound waves. It never appears. Presumably not yet implemented, despite its mentions in a patch notes. (Someone please correct me I want to be wrong, it’s neat)

i discovered how to get horror hounds the hard way without any knowing they exist

you need to kill a hound on the island and they spawn i was terrified when i saw it first time

4 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

A new item called the flare has been added that can be lit and I assume shows the location of it's deployment to anyone that looks onto the map. Pretty much just a cheap and probably temporary moonrock.

i was in a public server where a guy set one off it makes a sorta marker on your screen like when a player is nearby but just off screen

29 minutes ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

i discovered how to get horror hounds the hard way without any knowing they exist

you need to kill a hound on the island and they spawn i was terrified when i saw it first time

O_O

Thats one freaky animation. I’ve updated the info to match. Turns out it’s a massive pushover, which is a shame...

34 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Stone fruits can be mined to turn them into ripe stone fruits that are actually edible. Examination files imply they might do this over time by themselves but I have yet to witness this happening.

Car-rats spawn on the lunar island posing as carrots. They can be caught with regular traps and will drop leafy meat when murdered.

Examination files also imply that fruitdragons (file name for Saladmanders) ripen over time.

There is a new critter pet called the Mothling made with a moon moth and a flower salad. It passively emits light when full being the first actually useful critter in the game. Hopefully they do something similar with the other ones.

Bull kelp found on the island drop a whip weapon similar to the tail o three cats that goes bad the more you use it as a weapon. It is also plantable but I have yet to figure out how to get it to plant.

That's all i've got for now.

Updating the info to match

Stone fruits appear to have a hidden spoilage time so if left alone for an extended period of time they only drop rocks. But if you mine it after a certain period of time (I have no idea how long) they will drop stone seedlings allowing you to grow more bushes. They also will spoil when left on a bush too long and will turn into dust when you try to pick them. You can tell they are spoiled when they are round and have cracks in them on the bush.

Lunar moths can be caught with a bugnet and planted to grow more Lune trees. It should be noted that a full grown Lune tree will drop 6 logs, 2 lune blossoms and 1-2 moon moths.

Saladmanders definitely "ripen" somehow but I cannot determine what will cause it. When "ripened" the saladmander will be a shade of red and drop a dragonfruit instead of a leafy meat

Will post more if I find more interesting findings.

9 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Saladmanders definitely "ripen" somehow but I cannot determine what will cause it. When "ripened" the saladmander will be a shade of red and drop a dragonfruit instead of a leafy meat

Saladmanders ripen with heat. They will seek out hot things in their area and designate it their "home". When other Saladmanders attempt to do the same at the same spot they will "challenge" one another. The loser runs off, and the winner gets the nice toasty spot.

10 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

Saladmanders ripen with heat. They will seek out hot things in their area and designate it their "home". When other Saladmanders attempt to do the same at the same spot they will "challenge" one another. The loser runs off, and the winner gets the nice toasty spot.

so like campfires?

1 minute ago, 4 Da LOLs said:

so like campfires?

I don't see why not. Might be a bit finicky unless you keep it steady though, unsure.

Naturally they'll try to fight over the Hot Springs, and such.

Just now, metallichydra said:

can we make stone soup with the stone fruits?

Oh right, crock pots exist! I’ll read the crock pot files later, but nobody’s found graphic files for new dishes, so don’t get your hopes up.

7 hours ago, The 2C3D said:

Anyone figured out the rocky fruit? It's the last secret on my hit-list.

Mine it with a pickaxe.

The bush sometimes rots, so when you harvest it you get nothing.

The Rock fruit has a chance of turning into rocks, or ripe rock fruit. (Avocado).

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

Mine it with a pickaxe.

The bush sometimes rots, so when you harvest it you get nothing.

The Rock fruit has a chance of turning into rocks, or ripe rock fruit. (Avocado).

Yep, figured that out with some help. It’s only “ripe” in the Spring (and possibly Summer), other wise it’s just “raw”

20 minutes ago, The 2C3D said:

Yep, figured that out with some help. It’s only “ripe” in the Spring (and possibly Summer), other wise it’s just “raw”

Ripe fruit has nothing to do with the seasons. Nor does sprouting fruit. It's purely chance.

70% chance for ripe fruit.

5% chance for sprouting fruit.

Anything else just breaks as rock.

Driftwood can be used to repair your boat, but only if you're playing alone. As in, you have the player count set to 1. 

I have no idea as to why you can't repair boats when you're playing with others, as I've tried it on multiple servers but hadn't been given the option to repair a damaged boat. 

You can also use other wood related items such as twigs, logs, and boards to repair a boat as well. 

5cdf775d0d67a_ScreenShot2019-05-17at10_03_28PM.thumb.png.3a474fc32dee643d2f377f3e83b764a4.png

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

Ripe fruit has nothing to do with the seasons. Nor does sprouting fruit. It's purely chance.

70% chance for ripe fruit.

5% chance for sprouting fruit.

Anything else just breaks as rock.

Did an update remove raw Stone Fruit? They used to spawn 100%, now they never do. This is a lot of effort for fruits that do nothing. Unless, of course, that’s been fixed too. Wouldn’t surprise me.

11 minutes ago, The 2C3D said:

Did an update remove raw Stone Fruit? They used to spawn 100%, now they never do.

???

You get Stone Fruit by picking the bushes. Then you use a pick to break it open with the chance: 70% chance for Ripe Stone Fruit, 5% chance for Sprouting Stone Fruit, and 25% chance for a rock.

Just now, Zeklo said:

???

You get Stone Fruit by picking the bushes. Then you use a pick to break it open with the chance: 70% chance for Ripe Stone Fruit, 5% chance for Sprouting Stone Fruit, and 15% chance for a rock.

That’s 90%, I think you mean 25% for rocks. (Please tell me I can still add)

I was wondering about how to get the item “Raw Stone Fruit”, which doesn’t seem to exist and is probably a figment of my imagination. I swear, it used to drop instead of Ripe Stone Fruit. I need to go to bed and stop posting until my anesthesia wears off. I’m gonna be pretty humiliated when I read over my notifications tomorrow...

Archived