Please don't make combat a major feature

Based on other posts around the forums, I'm going to guess this will be an unpopular opinion.  In survival and colony-based games like this, I always see players clamoring for some kind of aggressive mobs and wanting the game to basically turn into a base-defense game instead.  It seems difficult to find games of this genre that are more "peaceful" and don't have the constant stress of an opposing force that actively seeks to destroy you and hinder your progress.  (The game Banished is a good example I can think of.)  If we fail, it is all on us.  We survive by our wits and learn from our failures.  Success by mastering the mechanics and the environment is truly satisfying, in my opinion.  Anyway, I think those pushing for more combat and enemies are missing what this game is all about.  (Not that I don't mind games that focus on combat, but I just don't think ONI was meant for that.)  I love this game for what it is and would be bummed to see the vision change.

Although, if the good folks over at Klei ever decide to implement such a feature (like space pirates)... I hope they find a good balance that doesn't detract from this game's fun and focus.

But this is merely my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Lali-Lop said:

I always see players clamoring for some kind of aggressive mobs and wanting the game to basically turn into a base-defense game instead.

There's a lot of space between "base-defense game" and "no combat at all".  Adding aggressive critters dosn't make this a combat game anymore than growing food makes it a farming simulator.  I respect that some people don't want combat in the game just as I respect that some people are vegetarians.  But bacon really does add a lot of flavor to a great many dishes.  If they simply add the option to toggle critter aggression on/off then everybody wins.

15 minutes ago, goboking said:

There's a lot of space between "base-defense game" and "no combat at all".  Adding aggressive critters dosn't make this a combat game anymore than growing food makes it a farming simulator.

I should clarify that I am referring to recurrent combat (like random waves of enemies), not adding dangerous creatures independent from the rest of the core gameplay (which I would be fine with.)

Hence the line:

53 minutes ago, Lali-Lop said:

the constant stress of an opposing force that actively seeks to destroy you and hinder your progress.

Combat in the game should be more of a managment challenge similar to how you handle the current dangers. Slime biomes need to be handled in a way that keeps your base from getting filled with slimelung and dupes infected. Caustic biomes need to be handled so that the gasses don`t reach your base and don`t hinder your farms, and also don`t make it overheat. The space biome needs to be sealed so you don`t lose oxygen to space etc.

Agressive creatures and some sort of space invaders need to be handled similarly, by building your base in such a layout that minimizes the damage they deal and by using the available tools to handle them. If active invaders from space were ever added i`m sure we would get tools to handle them without having to manually click attack on each one.

1 hour ago, Sasza22 said:

Agressive creatures and some sort of space invaders need to be handled similarly, by building your base in such a layout that minimizes the damage they deal and by using the available tools to handle them. If active invaders from space were ever added i`m sure we would get tools to handle them without having to manually click attack on each one.

Like flooding a room if a sensor detect a specified type of agressive critter.

Or filled another room with sporchid flowers because some invaders are extremelly allergic. :p

A random image of space dupes invading all with the destrutive stress reaction on kkkk

i think the game will never become a tower defense if thats your fear man ;) . Agressive critters we should be able to armor against or isolate them for better actions later i supose.

I can't believe I am saying this... but... I sort-of disagree.

Being a Major Element... maybe not THAT FAR. However, I would like to see some kind of "survival element", besides the joke of "oxygen not included", which isn't even a challenge at all. (I swear, I fart oxygen in this game.)

Infestations and outbreaks of oxygen absorbing critters...

Zones infested with dangerous critters that have no functional use, other than being a hindrance to getting through an area, or getting to something of need...

An occasional "rodent raid", of some kind, to "train people to fight", but more of a hindrance... Chewing on wires, poking holes in pipes, gremlins in machines, soiling masterpieces so they are no longer artistic, putting holes in the suits so they fail at some point...

You can still do the "cake walk mode", if you don't want it to be as much of a challenge.

Archived