Simply sucking the heat out of a Volcano (with no space materials)

Oh, hi. Look, I made this:

Intro.thumb.jpg.46bbf7088cafabd518f4c126017ae373.jpg
You know, when life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade. Except in this case the lemons are 1.1 kg/s of Magma and the lemonade a source of power. 

So after many different setups (and attempts) at taming a Volcano, and with the help of Brothgar youtube videos, I came up with this. The difference between this design and the one on his video is the "heat battery", or buffer really, and a correct amount of phosphorus so you don't overpressure the Volcano. 

So, let's get the main question out of the way first: "What in the bloody hell am I looking at and why did you write something in yellow on a white background?!"
Also get ready for some broken english.
Well, let's start with the red Volcano Chamber: 

Spoiler

Something that always bugged me was that, if you try harnest the energy directly from the Magma as the Volcano is erupting... more often than not you would end up with igneous rock tiles, entombing the Volcano and forcing you to dig them up, losing 50% of mass. So... how to fix that? Just do it faster 4Head.

But seriously tho. moving your main heat transfer point away from the source helps, a bit. But to avoid any digging, might want to use a chamber to soak up as much heat as possible out of it so all it's left is a really hot debris... that transfer heat really poorly with the steel door below it. And that's why there is a pool of phosphorus liquid there, to "speed up" (it's still slow) the transfer.
Because let me tell yah

Spoiler

20190508121652_1.thumb.jpg.0b661a7799ee6b6af04cd1ee2afbb86e.jpg20190508121657_1.thumb.jpg.647397fddd98ff704c37efebb4d16bb6.jpg

ITS A LOT OF DEBRIS (about 168 tons minimum so far) 

The Tempshift plates are all made of diamond here, to avoid any melting. Door and aumotated wires made out of steel for the same reason. The Phosphorus has a low Heat capacity (0,76) and (for a gas) a decent thermal conductivity (0,2) . and since it is a liquid between 48ºC to 280ºC , it's useful to suck the heat out of the never ending amount of debris. 

The Walls around it are made of diamond, I suppose you could use insulated tiles on the back of the Volcano, but eh.

Just gotta be careful to not add too much phosphorus because, once it turns into a gas, if the room pressure is over 5kg the Volcano will stop working. So in my build I have around 30kg of phosphorus, that's enough to not overpressure the volcano in my case.

Now about the Heat Buffer (this takes a lot of materials)

Spoiler

To make sure I had all the magma dried up, I needed something thirsty enough to suck the heat out of molten rock. 

Without using space materials, like super coolant.(heat capacity of 8.44), the best material to use would be water (heat capacity of 4.17) . So I did the simple task of building a literal water tank, made of diamond tiles, fill it completly with water and to add even more buffer, diamond Tempshift plates covering every.possible.spot. 

so  little math to tell yah how much can this thing succ: 30 tiles with 1027 kg of water/steam + 30 diamond plates of 800kg each + 26 diamond tiles 100kg each = a lot . (164721.3 KDTU to heat up the entire buffer +1ºC) 

Certainly I did the math totally wrong and would like someone to actually tell me how much this thing can hold, it seems to be working really well like now, but you never know.

Spoiler

Hotstuff.thumb.jpg.d259fc381bef48a06dbb778e00986e49.jpg

Okay that's nice and all but now we need another chamber to draw energy from the buffer/battery as needed. That's what the one inside the yellow box is for. 
I gotta be honest that I did the temperature automation really sloppy, should had place it some not directly below a fountain of 95ºC water. Maybe when I feel like upgrading it I'll do something about it. 

The sensor is set to activate when it's above 194ºC , making sure the Steam turbines don't start deleting more heat than necessary. The triple doors connecting the two chambers are made of steel, with diamond shiftplates in between. The plates only transfer heat when the doors are closed, and they make it go sooo much faster.

What's different is that the tiles and shiftplates are made out of gold , the reason for that is the lower heat capacity of gold (0.11) so makes it a bit faster to spread that heat around the chamber.

The twin steam turbines are capable of handling the heat generated by the Volcano, the Wheezewort squad make sure the temperature doesn't reach critical levels, but if something goes terrible wrong, a temperature sensor will them shut down if the temperature is above 95ºC.

Spoiler

20190508121745_1.thumb.jpg.9c12be43867229772c53a5e580c3814f.jpg
Oh, and it looks like they can be tuned up with microchips so they give quite a lot of watts 

20190508121801_1.thumb.jpg.89f1d34d5be57be66b8ebf92afa4c94b.jpg

Oh I also have this dumb thing that will probably never activate: 

20190508121736_1.thumb.jpg.084a4b13a2bbbfc6edd0c90fbec39f4f.jpg

it just detects if the battery temperatue is under 125ºC , once active the door will open, dropping the debris that SHOULD be close to the 125ºC into a pool of petroleum below. But now with the phosphorus liquid I might have to do something else with it, like adding a mini pump or something. idk

I like the heat battery concept! and regarding the safeguard to stop heat transfer i think you are likely to use it. Yes you can harvest energy non stop but probably when the smart battery is full and disables the turbines you could accumulate heath if the volcano is active ^^

I feel to use a 3 door system to have vacuum in the middle to decide when to transfer heat from the volcano to the heat battery that should be more than enough considering the diamond wall surrounding the volcano chamber have a really high overheat temperature

54 minutes ago, Tenedas said:

I like the heat battery concept! and regarding the safeguard to stop heat transfer i think you are likely to use it. Yes you can harvest energy non stop but probably when the smart battery is full and disables the turbines you could accumulate heath if the volcano is active ^^

I feel to use a 3 door system to have vacuum in the middle to decide when to transfer heat from the volcano to the heat battery that should be more than enough considering the diamond wall surrounding the volcano chamber have a really high overheat temperature

The safeguard between the battery and the controlled chamber is necessary, and even during downtime the chamber doesn't go above 195ºC thanks to the temperature sensor. There is no heat transfer as long as those 3 doors are open, the shiftplates only transfer heat when they are closed, but if you make the gap just 1 tile, do not add shiftplates because they will transfer the heat between the 2 chambers regardless if the doors are open or closed. I guess because it's connected directly to two tiles, so yeah.

Well in that case then those don't really need that because nothing really there overheats, or melts really. Except the posphorus, the entire purpose of those two is one generates the heat and its quickly stored in the other. The door at the bottom is not to halt the transfer, but to drop the debris should its temperature drop to safe (125ºC) levels.

5 hours ago, Deustodo said:

And that's why there is a pool of phosphorus liquid there, to "speed up" (it's still slow) the transfer.

I think you could use a 3 door setup to trap the hot rocks INSIDE a door. This causes the heat transfer rate to multiply by 25 (might be better than your phosphorus).  I got this idea from @JohnFrancis's post below. The link should take you straight to his comment where he has a picture of this setup. 

It took me quite a while playing ONI before I realized how rapidly solids trapped inside other solids transfer heat (there is a multiply by 25 factor). You can probably use this to your advantage to rapidly suck heat out of those igneous rocks and put it in your heat battery.

Or I could just be completely wrong. :) 

1 minute ago, mathmanican said:

If you wear some out of focus glasses, and zoom in to 300% or so, it helps.

5cd4328e1b6a2_Screenshotfrom2019-05-0907-59-34.png.5f92bab0d6cddbae0745420166dc11f7.png

Here is the matter where the heat is stored.

5cd4328d06ffe_Screenshotfrom2019-05-0907-59-55.thumb.png.d6343b5cc02a6a509964a913789eacc0.png

ohhhhhh. So when the post said buffer, it really meant buffer. I thought the "battery" has the capacity to store enormous amount of heat, like it's capable to raise its temperature above volcano's. I was looking for wrong clues. Thx bruh

Another option would be a magma blade dripper. Build a tank of magma and knock out a tile on the bottom level of it. The magma will pour out and form a blade of magma 11 tiles long. At the end it will only be about 60Kg. Place a heat resistant door Under that last tile. Now when you want heat you open the door and the magma drips down at about 60KG a second, when you have enough heat, close the door. So long as you keep sucking the heat out of the dripped magma you cannot accumulate enough Magma to form a magma tile so no mining required. It's a heat tap. At that point it's just a case of figuring out what sensors to place where to control the flow of heat into your steam chamber. Additionally you can stockpile magma in your magma tank so you can run your steam turbine/s even during dormancy. You would need to do some math to figure out how many steam turbines you can support, but it's unlikely the math will work out, the transition from liquid to solid messes up the numbers. What ever you work it out to be, half it and you will be closer.

@mathmanican When I started to think about heat battery, I thought about store infinite amount of 1500C ish gas, by heating gas up with volcano, and outputing thru vent under 1kg liquid gold. I think that way you can store unlimited amount of heat.

Archived