Organic Farming - Growing wild plants

Is it still possible to scatter seeds on natural tiles for them to grow in the wild?

I built lots of fridges in an ice biome. Filled each with one sleet wheat grain, and then deconstructed the fridges. 

Many cycles later and they still haven’t taken root!! 

I’m pretty sure this was possible in the past.  

I don’t consider this an exploit as harvest times are much longer and I think the yield is reduced as well. I consider it more like organic farming. 

pretty sure that you cant scatter seeds to make them grow... though, if you uproot a plant and do not touch the seed, it will regrow at same spot. So "organic farming" is all about not digging up the tiles that have the wild plants.

3 minutes ago, DarkMoge said:

pretty sure that you cant scatter seeds to make them grow... though, if you uproot a plant and do not touch the seed, it will regrow at same spot. So "organic farming" is all about not digging up the tiles that have the wild plants.

If that's the case then that's a shame. I wanted to compensate for the slow harvest times and reduced yields by having many more wild plants than just the ones that can be found initially.

12 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

Seeds don`t root themselves for a year or more already. Only exception is the wheezewort. You can use the wild growing ones only if you don`t uproot them.

That's so sad. Thanks for confirming.

44 minutes ago, Muggins said:

If that's the case then that's a shame. I wanted to compensate for the slow harvest times and reduced yields by having many more wild plants than just the ones that can be found initially.

If this is something you really want to do then you can always use the sandbox tools to spawn in some wild plants.  You can delete a corresponding seed when doing so to keep things fair.

2 hours ago, goboking said:

If this is something you really want to do then you can always use the sandbox tools to spawn in some wild plants.  You can delete a corresponding seed when doing so to keep things fair.

I get what you're saying and it achieves the same thing but I would just feel really dirty. I'd be happy for the devs to further increase harvest times and decrease yields if they felt like it was a balancing issue.

32 minutes ago, Muggins said:

I get what you're saying and it achieves the same thing but I would just feel really dirty. I'd be happy for the devs to further increase harvest times and decrease yields if they felt like it was a balancing issue.

It certainly wouldn't fix it. Having plants grow at no cost couldn't be balanced without absolutely massive growth time nerf. It's easier and cheaper to prepare a room for 500 sleet wheat plants than to cool the water for 10 of them for just one harvest. Not to mention the part where you don't lose the water or dirt.

If you want infinitely scalable food, your only options are: dreckos in balm plantation and stray pacus (you don't need to feed pacus if you don't need more than one egg per fish). Dreckos require dupe time, pacus do not.

Bet, selfplanting is impossible for pincha pepper at least.
Suggestion: new building "Genetic station" where you can mix pincha pepper with drecko and make the mutant which will be selfplantable on the ceiling. Also, being grown, it will slowly creep at the most unsuitable part of your base.

Archived