Capture fish from printing pod?

Just a passing thought really... I'd occasionally have my printing pod print me 8 pacu when the option was available, tell my dupes to kill them and feast on their flesh. Um, I mean, make barbecue from the resulting meat.

Now I really don't need the food supplement any more, and I've just raized the map around my base, resulting in two cold pools of mixed P-water and water (it was already mixed as a result of P-ice and ice melting) sitting at around 0-5*C. I don't need the water either, but is the perfect temperature to keep Gulp fish in.

Considering that I only had 4 Pacu accessible (which I didn't transfer directly but rather waited until they laid eggs and then moved those), and that I don't want to farm/tame them to increase their numbers, I was thinking it might be nice to take the 8 Pacu from the printing pod when/if they become available, and add those to my little purifiers.

Any suggestions on how to capture the Pacu from the printing pod? Since you'd need to use a Lure to catch one normally, and I do not keep my printing pod in a puddle...

As a side-note, for the fish, is the "room" size determined by the number of (P-)water tiles they can swim in? And what are the space requirements (i.e. how many tiles/pacu)?

48 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

Build small pool in reach from portal, could be loooooong ladder path down, wait till they lay egg, move egg..

This... the fish actually path towards water if they can fall into it in someway, so any water that is accessible via dropping down or flopping sideways or any combination of the above will attract them..

i don’t know if there is a max distance, but would assume not.. if there is no such path, need to climb or go through closed doors they will just flop left and right randomly..

You don't need to immerse the printer. As Oozinator said, you can build a pool, and the Pacu will move toward it, even if they're out of water.

A horizontal pneumatic door over the pool can be handy for this, because Pacu can go through pneumatic doors, even if they're closed.

I've gotten in the habit of building a pool one level below the printer. That way the Pacu don't have to travel far.

While it's true you can put the pool at the bottom of a long ladder, as Oozinator mentioned, I don't like doing that. Mainly because the pool then obstructs the ladder.

4 hours ago, riwenna said:

As a side-note, for the fish, is the "room" size determined by the number of (P-)water tiles they can swim in? And what are the space requirements (i.e. how many tiles/pacu)?

Pacu require a certain amount of liquid tiles. Iirc it`s 8 tiles/fish.

A pool on either side of the platform the printer is on with a closed door on the opposite side will corral them to the pool of water.

You want very large pool so the 8 new pacu don’t get overcrowded.

Save trap material and just move eggs. 

You do want only one path.  I’ve had them go the opposite direction of the water so they don’t always seem to make the right choice. 

Does wild critters being overcrowded actually cause any problems, though?  I just have a one-tile wide opening on each side of the printer to a pool below for them to collect in.  Those plus all wild eggs I find means mine are always overcrowded, but they still replenish their numbers.  Unless you all are talking about ranching them, then ignore me.

Egg growth appears to stop when wild critters are overcrowded.  You are very likely to lose large populations of them if they are not all in sync(all laying at the same time so overcrowded doesn’t matter)

2 hours ago, EpicAlex said:

Oh, I got this selection choice once and I made the most of it... I killed them all and made barbeque. No regrets XD

I did that a couple of times, but eventually I decided dropping them in water was better.

Killing them requires Dupe intervention. Letting flop on their own to a pool and die of old age doesn't. You get the meat either way.

If they lay some eggs, that's a bonus. Egg shells plus more meat.

5 hours ago, 0xFADE said:

I must be overly concerned about reusability enough for several other people.  I wouldn’t just go out and kill something that is going to lay an egg and keep dropping meat for the rest of time. 

You are.

And, it's not just "going out and killing it", it's more of a, "look, there's an option of getting 8 pacu and I've no way to get them, but I don't want to stop the printer rotation while I build an aparatus to make use of them. let's just get meat for now and worry about it when I need it"

But then again, now that you say it... maybe you're not, and I'm not concerned enough.

Those 8 Pacu are a pretty nice bonus if  you're set up to capture them. Unlike most printer rewards, they aren't a one-time thing, they're ongoing income if you put them in a pool.

That said, if you roll Pacu and don't have a capture pool, you might as well take them. You can either build a pool afterward, of if that's impractical, eat 'em.

May as well try and save them as quickly as possible.  See if you are nimble enough to make a makeshift pond to hold them wherever they are going to end up.  If they die they die.  They will still drop meat.  Even if they die you are now prepared for the next time you get 8 more pacu.

I deconstructed the 2 tile floor holding the print pod and replace it with the automatic door, with a clock sensor wire to it.  so you can directly open and close the door with changing the active/inactive status for the clock.

I have a small water pool below it with a width of 3 and height of 2. 

basically, I just put all the fishes in that pool.  overcrowded doesn't affect anything, you only want to watch for the "Cramped" debuff, that prevents reproduction.     glum/overcrowded means nothing to wild fishes.

You can leave the fishes all there if you want and let the dupes collect eggs,meat, as they drop.  or stick a sweeper and rail if you want to move them around.

or you can setup another pool else where with eggs set to drop from a automated ore station to relocate the eggs to the new pool.

I've managed to build a small pool at the bottom of the base, close it off with doors, and can just open it when I happen to get the pacu. All my little shine bugs ran away (I was keeping 5 untamed ones in the same room with the printing pod), but I can just move their eggs back if I so wish. The Pacu's seemed to be just flopping left and right when the penumatic doors at the room exits were closed, not interested in attempting to pass through them. Or is it just for vertical ones that they pass through?

However, I am totally confused with wild pacu statuses (as we can't see the reproduction rate for wild critters). I've put them in a room of 2x10 water tiles, and they all got the "Overcrowded" and "Glum" debuffs as soon as they all jumped into the pool. They seem to be laying eggs normally, which I can move to where I'd like to keep them.

But, when a single egg is laid, they additionally get the "Cramped" debuff and the rest won't lay any eggs until I remove the ones already in there.

Now, I understand that the "Overcrowded" causes Happiness -5, which in turn causes "Glum". But, what exactly causes the "Overcrowded" and "Cramped" debuffs? They both sound like they're telling me "too many critters in a room", but they obviously don't have different causes (one appears without the other), and they have different effects.

The last I played was before QoL updates, so critter statuses might've changed. 

When you kill a critter for meat, you get much less meat than if you had waited for it to die. Pacus don't care about flopping around, they will eventually die of old age, and their reproduction % wont increase. 

it looks like you've just described the overcrowded and cramped debuffs. In wild critters, the reproduction time is about 70% of their lifespan. It looks like the cramped debuff stops too many eggs laid so theres eventually only as many critters as fits in the space.

1 minute ago, sixthousandbees said:

it looks like you've just described the overcrowded and cramped debuffs. In wild critters, the reproduction time is about 70% of their lifespan. It looks like the cramped debuff stops too many eggs laid so theres eventually only as many critters as fits in the space.

What is the exact difference between "Overcrowded" and "Cramped" debuffs? The wild Pacus will still lay eggs when "Overcrowded", but not "Cramped".

I've just done some testing in game. Cramped seems to trigger when they're in an enclosed space too small for them. If you leave some water open to the air the cramped debuff disappears. Both pacus and their eggs need eight (8) tiles of space each to be happy. It doesn't need to be a full tile, so if you have a tiny bit of displaced water on top you can keep a pacu happy in an open 4 wide pond.

I can't do any testing on egg laying, as I havent got the dev console up and can't go 10x speed. You might find both debuffs have an effect on reproduction rates, but you only noticed cramped because they only have an effect when stacked

This ones happy with only ~50g of water on top

image.png.68ac9b4e82d3fe532d8257b68bfeaf5b.png

Interestingly, I have 8 pacus (from the pod) in an 10x2 space, but none of them have the "cramped" debuff, only "overcrowded". They lay eggs normally. However, as soon as an egg is laid, they also get the "cramped" debuff and the rest won't lay eggs until I remove it.

4 minutes ago, riwenna said:

But, what exactly causes the overcrowded debuff with the pacus, and what is the precise difference from the cramped debuff?

Number of Pacus + Eggs * 8 > Number of tiles in a room = cramped

Number of Pacus * 8 > Number of tiles in a room = overcrowded 

Archived