Wagstaff and Wheeler Suggestions

I'll just make these short little points that I observed

1. Ingame art for both Wagstaff and Wheeler are pretty bad and unfitting, especially compared to their big portraits (which are very fitting and amazing), however, Wagstaff with his goggles is great!

2. Wheeler isn't good. Hamlet already puts a ton of pressure on inventory with multiple new tools and items, and Wheeler can barely do well in base-game with her inventory.

3. Wheeler's airhorn isn't good. It is effectively useless with how it does very little damage and deletes the used item.

4. Not really a suggestion, but I used the compass and my game went down to 1fps for about 30 seconds, not sure why.

5. Wheeler's dodge is really only good for moving a little faster. Not for actually dodging. The same can be accomplished by... walking.

One thing I’ve noticed is that Wagstaff requires a pretty parasol to make his special umbrella teleport thingy.

You can only make the pretty parasol in the base game or ROG. If you were to start a game in Shipwrecked or Hamlet it means Wagstaff would have to wait a long time to make that particular item. 

I propose making it need a regular umbrella instead of a parasol. While it might take more effort to craft than a pretty parasol, a regular umbrella can be made in all game types. 

Just my thoughts. 

6 hours ago, Bluckles said:

1. Ingame art for both Wagstaff and Wheeler are pretty bad and unfitting, especially compared to their big portraits (which are very fitting and amazing), however, Wagstaff with his goggles is great!

Wagstaff's pretty fitting overall IMO, he looks the part.

7 hours ago, Bluckles said:

Ingame art for both Wagstaff and Wheeler are pretty bad and unfitting, especially compared to their big portraits (which are very fitting and amazing), however, Wagstaff with his goggles is great!

I disagree i don’t see any problem with them, in fact i like wheeler portrait.

Wheeler isn't good. Hamlet already puts a ton of pressure on inventory with multiple new tools and items, and Wheeler can barely do well in base-game with her inventory.

Yeah it’s the worst downside that a character could even have

Wheeler's airhorn isn't good. It is effectively useless with how it does very little damage and deletes the used item.

It has low-medium-heavy damage varieties depend on the object you throw, I don’t know about the damage but unlimited source of range attack seems good.

Wheeler's dodge is really only good for moving a little faster. Not for actually dodging. The same can be accomplished by... walking.

She is invincible during the dodge, so it’s very good in kitting enemies.

42 minutes ago, Namelessgamer said:

It has low-medium-heavy damage varieties depend on the object you throw, I don’t know about the damage but unlimited source of range attack seems good.

Its broken. Completely broken.

ALL ATTACKS DEAL LESS THAN 1 DAMAGE, NO MATTER THE FUEL

27 minutes ago, Raspberry Shake said:

Its broken. Completely broken.

ALL ATTACKS DEAL LESS THAN 1 DAMAGE, NO MATTER THE FUEL

Funny meme:
It took me 3 sticks to kill a butterfly with 1 hp

Edit: This is the post that got me to senior member.

...Yup.

7 hours ago, Namelessgamer said:

I disagree i don’t see any problem with them, in fact i like wheeler portrait.

If you read again (sounds mean but I swear I'm not trying to be aggressive) I said the big portraits actually look great, by those I mean the art you see on the side when selecting a character. I don't like them ingame.

20 minutes ago, Bluckles said:

If you read again (sounds mean but I swear I'm not trying to be aggressive) I said the big portraits actually look great, by those I mean the art you see on the side when selecting a character. I don't like them ingame.

Oh sorry I didn’t read it :p 

I agree with you about wheeler her portrait look good and has smile but in game she look depressed.

2 hours ago, JJ0264 said:

maybe Wheeler could have 1.2x speed due to the fact she travels lighter than others (Klei could drop the Pew-gun, as it's basically Wilbur's poop throwing ability)

Ya know what, yeh.

Increased speed *might* validate the idea of less inventory space in the first place, but that's a really big might.

Also, the Pew-Gun is garbage, it doesn't really fit into anywhere, at all. Why is it a blow horn? Why does it even have the chance to do 0 damage when it destroys the item?

Her other character item is, meh. It only has like, one or two practical uses early game before it becomes a waste of an inventory space.

tl;dr Wheeler desperately needs a *huge* buff, or a rework entirely. She is easily the worst character in the game.

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Ya know what, yeh.

Increased speed *might* validate the idea of less inventory space in the first place, but that's a really big might.

I mean it's better than Pea-gun, do you got any peak ideas for Wheeler I'd like to hear?

2 hours ago, Canis said:

Her other character item is, meh. It only has like, one or two practical uses early game before it becomes a waste of an inventory space.

I think the Navi-gadget is decent ex. In Rog, a hound's tooth could lead you to the desert

2 hours ago, Canis said:

She is easily the worst character in the game.

Depends on the definition of "worst", I'd say you haven't played enough low tier characters (Warly) or boring characters (Walani) or both (Wes)

Just now, JJ0264 said:

1) I mean it's better than Pea-gun, do you got any peak ideas for Wheeler I'd like to hear?

2) I think the Navi-gadget is decent ex. In Rog, a hound's tooth could lead you to the desert

3) Depends on the definition of "worst", I'd say you haven't played enough low tier characters (Warly) or boring characters (Walani) or both (Wes)

1) Restricting Inventory space is a very iffy topic, mainly because it is a fundamental of DS and super important. If you're going to change said fundamental, you must have a really good upside to balance it out. If you'd want to keep the same inventory size (and I hope to god she doesn't) I'd say, yeah, crank up the movement speed. If that doesn't sound like a good upside, then remove the smaller inventory because that is absolutely not fun to play with, and arguably makes every other character better by a mile, mainly because they can carry everything they need to help them live. Not only this, but a smaller inventory actually contradicts the adventurer persona because it forces you to be closer to your base for storage and stuff.

2) Again, a few practical uses early game before it becomes inventory clutter. What use is it once you have the full island discovered? Want to see the nearest sapling? The map exists for a reason.

3) I have plenty of experience with every character (save for maybe wigfrid, wicker, and yes, warly, because their playstyles and even personalities aren't my cup of tea). I even have my fair share of experience playing Wes. The reason Wheeler is the worst is because of the god-awful inventory space, which severely crippled any chance of her being a decent character. Coupled with the fact that she has near-useless character items with situational uses, makes her the worst character, ever. Worse than Willow. Worse than Wes.

Also, your sass isn't welcome here, especially if you aren't bringing anything to the table.

3 hours ago, Canis said:

1) Restricting Inventory space is a very iffy topic, mainly because it is a fundamental of DS and super important. If you're going to change said fundamental, you must have a really good upside to balance it out. If you'd want to keep the same inventory size (and I hope to god she doesn't) I'd say, yeah, crank up the movement speed. If that doesn't sound like a good upside, then remove the smaller inventory because that is absolutely not fun to play with, and arguably makes every other character better by a mile, mainly because they can carry everything they need to help them live. Not only this, but a smaller inventory actually contradicts the adventurer persona because it forces you to be closer to your base for storage and stuff.

2) Again, a few practical uses early game before it becomes inventory clutter. What use is it once you have the full island discovered? Want to see the nearest sapling? The map exists for a reason.

3) I have plenty of experience with every character (save for maybe wigfrid, wicker, and yes, warly, because their playstyles and even personalities aren't my cup of tea). I even have my fair share of experience playing Wes. The reason Wheeler is the worst is because of the god-awful inventory space, which severely crippled any chance of her being a decent character. Coupled with the fact that she has near-useless character items with situational uses, makes her the worst character, ever. Worse than Willow. Worse than Wes.

Also, your sass isn't welcome here, especially if you aren't bringing anything to the table.

My first point I was genially serious what perks would you give her? Look back at my third point yeah I was sassy (sorry about that) In my experience the "worst" character is one that doesn't bring anything new to the table to change the gameplay and there pros/cons are weak/uninteresting; Like it or not less max inventory isn't something we really see before, and keep in mind we have other challenge characters like Warly (can't binge), Wormwood (harder hp), Woodlegs (outside SW) although I completely agree with you about having better upsides to competence because it's mostly poor.

I did mention 1.2x speed so the last part doesn't make much sense (I main Warly, who do you main Canis?)

3 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

My first point I was genially serious what perks would you give her? Look back at my third point yeah I was sassy (sorry about that) In my experience the "worst" character is one that doesn't bring anything new to the table to change the gameplay and there pros/cons are weak/uninteresting; Like it or not less max inventory isn't something we really see before, and keep in mind we have other challenge characters like Warly (can't binge), Wormwood (harder hp), Woodlegs (outside SW) although I completely agree with you about having better upsides to competence because it's mostly poor.

I did mention 1.2x speed so the last part doesn't make much sense (I main Warly, who do you main Canis?)

You know what, props to you for manning up to your mistake and admitting you were sassy. You have my respect.

On another note, I don't have a solid grasp on her character so I couldn't really give her perks that would fit to said character. I feel like movement speed would be the clearest and easiest option to make because of the dodge and the less inventory space, along with the fact it helps with adventuring.

The definition of "worst character" (that isn't on purpose, ie wes) are stats that are underwhelming, get bored of easy, and don't affect gameplay in a fun way. Wheeler hits all three of those points on the dot.

At the moment, I main Woodie in DST. I don't have a solid main in Singleplayer.

I think Wheeler suppose to be the Wilson of hamlet, my improvement ideas

Wheeler stats: Hunger-125, Sanity-150, Health-175     Wilson stats: Hunger-150, Sanity-200, Health-150 

(New) + ambidextrous handiness

has 2 hand slots, can use both items (ex. can use a lantern and a spear at the same time)

or automatically swap between tools (ex. chop a tree then dig stump without looking in your inventory)

(New) Built-in Walking cane speed (1.25x)

(Buff) + Pew-gun, shoots faster than before (ammo: 10 instead of 6) (damage: consistent 50 instead of random 17-37)

(Tweak) + "dodge" ability - can be used during walk animation and zero end-lag out of dodge (coffee/canes can make it faster)

+ Navi-gadget - same as is

- 5 less max slots (the extra hand slot makes it feel like -4 slots plus she can use both the Navi-gadget and a tool/torch)

Archived