potential small tab improvements

i wonder if im not the only one who doesnt like how some tabs are sorted

Tools:

its fine. i build often saltlicks when we have beefs. but i dont know if it would be better to make the saltlick for example above the saddle horn. maybe its a good place to be the last. 

Light:

its fine.

Survival:

its a pain. i use bundling wraps all the time so i would like to have them being first (ive a mod which makes them on first)

tent and thermalstone are also way to much down below. im crafting them very often. they should be in the tab somewhere above so i dont have to scroll when i want to build them.

items like all backpacks could be down below cause you craft them in reality just once

Food:

its fine

Science:

its fine: the lightning rod could be more above so you dont need to scroll.

Fight:

its a pain. having to scroll down for football helmets as wigfried is a disaster. (just kidding) but the football helmets could be after the hambat. and the morningstar and the tail o three could be much more down below. also the toothtraps could ba after the marblesuit. then we dont need to scroll down to make toothtraps. that would be awesome.

Structures:

its ok. maybe the 3 signs could be after the walls. and i build always a lot of scaled chest so i would like to have them after the normal chest. but it kinda fits down there with the furnace..

Refine:

its fine

Magic:

its fine. having the life amulett more above and the oneman band and nightlight more down below would be maybe better. but its ok

Dress:

its fine. i make lots of sewing kits all the time and they are first so its good

actually their isnt much what i would like to see changed. bundling wraps, tent and thermalstone in the survival tab and the fighting tab with the footballhelmets and toothtraps. im curious if you guys have the same wish or you like it how it is

So you'd like to put items that require boss components most players will never ever get on top? Seems like a terrible idea.

As for other items, I feel like most aren't necessary for beginners. If you were to put the backpack on the bottom of the list, how long would it take people to realize they can craft a backpack? Same with the lightning rod: you don't need it until your first spring.

Kaisen's idea of letting people reorganize the crafting tabs by drag and dropping is good. But your "improvements" are only improvements to people like you, and would be counter-intuitive to the majority of the playerbase, effectively going against their efforts to learn the game.

2 minutes ago, TheOwl said:

So you'd like to put items that require boss components most players will never ever get on top? Seems like a terrible idea.

most new players will not even see the bundling wrap because it requires a blueprint, and the mats are not from bosses

tbh i dont think this is too much of an issue, but i also dont think its too hard to put the items we use the most at the top. Kaisen_'s suggestion would be the ideal but that seems to be too much work coding-wise for such a small QoL improvement

2 hours ago, Datanon said:

most new players will not even see the bundling wrap because it requires a blueprint, and the mats are not from bosses

tbh i dont think this is too much of an issue, but i also dont think its too hard to put the items we use the most at the top. Kaisen_'s suggestion would be the ideal but that seems to be too much work coding-wise for such a small QoL improvement

Forgot bundling wrap does not appear at all if you don't have the blueprint (which is the boss component I was thinking of). Still stands for scaled chest though, as this one is alchemy engine tier.

8 hours ago, TheOwl said:

As for other items, I feel like most aren't necessary for beginners. If you were to put the backpack on the bottom of the list, how long would it take people to realize they can craft a backpack? Same with the lightning rod: you don't need it until your first spring.

Kaisen's idea of letting people reorganize the crafting tabs by drag and dropping is good. But your "improvements" are only improvements to people like you, and would be counter-intuitive to the majority of the playerbase, effectively going against their efforts to learn the game.

bro WTH!!!

first of all i asked what you guys think about my idea. i didnt say i want it like i said it.

so and where do you see i said i want scaled chest at top. i said in the structure tab:

"its ok. maybe the 3 signs could be after the walls. and i build always a lot of scaled chest so i would like to have them after the normal chest. but it kinda fits down there with the furnace.."

but if i think now about it... YES i want the scaled chest after the normal chest and not having it on the bottom. new players wont be forever new players...

and for the backpacks. they are now also very far down. new players still have to search for them. so it woudnt make it harder for them.

and lightning rods... what do you mean you dont need them until first spring? sure i neeed them all the time. if you mean it wont strike lightnings before first spring i dont care. im not building them when rain starts. im building them before the rain starts. but still i dont understand what it matters when i build them. it matters how often i build them.

and also very important is this:

items like for example gunpowder you dont craft while youre exploring or something. so the gunpowder tab doesnt need to be somewhere where i reach them fast. but football helmets, bundling wraps, and other things you need to craft while you get chased from bosses or other mobs. SO THEY NEED TO BE fast reachable. imagine the torch would be somewhere where you have to scroll down. would be a disaster. 

and the game shoudnt be made for new players. why should beginners have it easy and then they get better and then its bad when they learn the game. nothing in dont starve is made friendly for new players.

Backpack/piggyback should be at the very top if you ask me, the backpack is one of the most important item for the chest slot.  Also you should not need to scroll down for tooth traps, as when you make them you generally make them en masse, which makes scrolling down over and over repetitive.  

I would like to see the birdcage, pig/bunny houses, and others be moved higher up, because unlike statues and grass walls, they have a real function.

3 hours ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Backpack/piggyback should be at the very top if you ask me, the backpack is one of the most important item for the chest slot.  Also you should not need to scroll down for tooth traps, as when you make them you generally make them en masse, which makes scrolling down over and over repetitive.  

I would like to see the birdcage, pig/bunny houses, and others be moved higher up, because unlike statues and grass walls, they have a real function.

you sure? you craft backpacks only once. and piggybag never :p so imo its better they are at the bottom

Archived