World Settings, maybe a re-work ?

Hello everyone,

I never change World settings, except to disable disease (thank you @V2C :? ) and part of the reason is that most of the World settings kind destroy the world itself.
If you put Mobs or Resources to More or Lots they will appear all over the world instead of the biomes they belong too.

A nice change would be to actually have the Resources spawn in the biomes they belong, like, if you Increase Reeds there will be more in the Swamp if it's cactus we will have more in the desert, same as goats, More beef means we have more of them in the Savanah and so on.

I would really love to see some changes in this since now that I've been doing a 16 player Server and might even go bigger for the new content this would be a nice touch.

Feel free to give your ideas,

Best Regards,

Glermz.

You're right, maybe including a swappable feature on the settings like : "location biome spawn" or "random spawn"

for edited spawn frequency resources. So both methods will be avalide

But yeah, that'll be way better to do this than having to edit every map rooms files when you create a world

That's what i do to make my multiplayer worlds more completes... since there is no other methods yet.

7 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

I would also like this, we need some sort of way to set walrus camps to "more" without flooding the world with them.  Can we also get an option to make things like berry bushes, grass tufts, and reeds regenerate?

Im not sure about option to make bushes, tufs and reeds regenerate. We have a lot of on world and/or in caves. More sense have making alignment between both bushes (normal and juice) and twigs (trees and plants). Sometimes on world we can meet only twiggly trees or only juice bushes/normal bushes

Ofc Im aprove thread about refresh world settings to being more friendly..

Yeah, I think Twiggy and Grass Gecko worlds should probably be removed entirely, as they already spawn naturally to begin with, but the issue is when you run out of resources, you run out of resources (Especially Grass, turning into Geckos or getting diseased) leading to people needing to constantly go to the desert for tumbleweeds in late-game worlds, and while some people like this, it should most certainly be an option to disable.  (A single willow could wipe out most of the surface reeds, should not be an option) 

While tufts/saplings could probably be made to grow reasonably well over the course of a lot of time, if turfs were to regenerate that could be quite overpowered, with people using it as an infinite fuel source.  While that too could be an option in the game, it's probably one better turned off by default.

(While Slurtle Mounds and Fossils should respawn in one way or another, this should probably not apply to everything, like mandrakes or beehives for example, as honeycombs and mandrakes are supposed to be mostly finite and limited)

Bushes, Sapling, and Grass Tufts do (slowly) regrow on endless, so that should at least be an option for survival.

I feel like Klei is working on something like that earlier. Anyone tried to change World Settings in Hamlet DLC? For example when you mark "mushrooms" as "more" or "lots" they spawn is actually increased but only in those areas when you can find them without any changes. It's not like you can find them on other biomes then. And it work with other things as well. You can't make things from certain biomes appear in others by changing world setting to "more" and "lots". There would be more of them but only in exclusive for them biomes. 

44 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Yeah, I think Twiggy and Grass Gecko worlds should probably be removed entirely, as they already spawn naturally to begin with, but the issue is when you run out of resources, you run out of resources (Especially Grass, turning into Geckos or getting diseased) leading to people needing to constantly go to the desert for tumbleweeds in late-game worlds, and while some people like this, it should most certainly be an option to disable.  (A single willow could wipe out most of the surface reeds, should not be an option) 

While tufts/saplings could probably be made to grow reasonably well over the course of a lot of time, if turfs were to regenerate that could be quite overpowered, with people using it as an infinite fuel source.  While that too could be an option in the game, it's probably one better turned off by default.

(While Slurtle Mounds and Fossils should respawn in one way or another, this should probably not apply to everything, like mandrakes or beehives for example, as honeycombs and mandrakes are supposed to be mostly finite and limited)

Bushes, Sapling, and Grass Tufts do (slowly) regrow on endless, so that should at least be an option for survival.

I think you should ask for an option to remove them from YOUR game, not the entire game for everyone. 

I don't really have any lag problems so I actually like the gekkos and many people have gekko farms too.

My only problem with Twiggy trees is that they massively overtake the world. I would love if the devs could tune down their spawn rate.

BTW, grass tufts and sapplings do regen, specially in light green areas in both survival and endless.

I agree that Fossils should be renewable too, but Slurtle Mounds not. BTW you can always heal the mounts with healing salves ... so I really don't see the point in asking the devs to make them renewable and causing unnecessary world gen problems.

Honestly, I am sort of asking for an option to delete them from my game, as this is something that i’ve spent in game, literal real life days trying to fix, however this is a problem for many other people too that would make the game objectively better, especially for long term multiplayer worlds.

Grass tufts and saplings do NOT regenerate, and believe me I have done a million tests on this.  In one world (survival). I dug up every grass tuft in the whole world, and fast forwarded somewhere between 1 to 3 thousand days, and not a single grass tuft had grown on the surface.

As for slurtle mounds, why shouldn’t they regenerate?  Isn’t it better for them to not go extinct entirely over time due to natural causes, perhaps they could go “abandoned” like cat on nests but for longer (1-3 in game years) but is there some sort of problem in making them respawnable?

18 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

I think Twiggy and Grass Gecko worlds should probably be removed entirely

it's not what u said tho 

1 minute ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Grass tufts and saplings do NOT regenerate, and believe me I have done a million tests on this.  In one world (survival). I dug up every grass tuft in the whole world, and fast forwarded somewhere between 1 to 3 thousand days, and not a single grass tuft had grown on the surface.

Fastfowarding days won't work if you stay in that place while doing it.. you need to move far away.. same with the blue mushroom trees in the caves

2 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

As for slurtle mounds, why shouldn’t they regenerate?  Isn’t it better for them to not go extinct entirely over time due to natural causes, perhaps they could go “abandoned” like cat on nests but for longer (1-3 in game years) but is there some sort of problem in making them respawnable?

IMO it's highly unprobable all slurtle hounds go extinct

I think the "abandoned" concept makes more sense cuz u don't wanna overpopulate the world with mounts. Respawning them could cause them to spawn in weird places and as I said you can always heal them with healing salves.

Yeah, I did travel around  the world again after fast forwarding 3'000 days, and there was still not a single "new" grass tuft in sight.  (On the surface)  Also if you look on the Wiki page for anything grass tuft related (Grass Tuft page, World Regeneration page, Non Renewable Resources page) it says nothing about grass tufts being renewable, except saying that they spawn around the portal in endless mode, which is not played in most worlds, and still a very limited feature.  Due to the fact that all grass tufts will eventually die (Geckos, Meteors, Wildfire) this should probably be programmed into the game, it's just bad game design to have to live in the desert late-game for the only source of grass.

7 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Yeah, I did travel around  the world again after fast forwarding 3'000 days, and there was still not a single "new" grass tuft in sight.  (On the surface)  Also if you look on the Wiki page for anything grass tuft related (Grass Tuft page, World Regeneration page, Non Renewable Resources page) it says nothing about grass tufts being renewable, except saying that they spawn around the portal in endless mode, which is not played in most worlds, and still a very limited feature.  Due to the fact that all grass tufts will eventually die (Geckos, Meteors, Wildfire) this should probably be programmed into the game, it's just bad game design to have to live in the desert late-game for the only source of grass.

I've seen it in the savana with grass tufts and also some berries spawning in green areas in natural worlds... but maybe I was in Endless in some old worlds...

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Regrowth

confirms what you said... :) Sorry for the confusion

3 hours ago, GLERMZ said:

I never change World settings, except to disable disease (thank you @V2C :? ) and part of the reason is that most of the World settings kind destroy the world itself.
If you put Mobs or Resources to More or Lots they will appear all over the world instead of the biomes they belong too.

A nice change would be to actually have the Resources spawn in the biomes they belong, like, if you Increase Reeds there will be more in the Swamp if it's cactus we will have more in the desert, same as goats, More beef means we have more of them in the Savanah and so on.

I would really love to see some changes in this since now that I've been doing a 16 player Server and might even go bigger for the new content this would be a nice touch.

In Dont Starve all biomes are pronounced. In reality, this is not the case. Biomes can be mixed, and a plant or animal species can inhabit many different territories. For example, the usual Grassland may be covered with glades of sand with cacti growing there.

Spoiler

1.jpg.0e70476beb96f5f6b520c543e4e56d9b.jpg3.jpg.d255727251509947d7a4ea944758b386.jpg

The forests can be mixed and creatures from both types of forest can live in them.

Spoiler

7.thumb.jpg.7e76a55863518aa331941ae694a8639e.jpg8.thumb.jpg.c22ca5477c48a46f184eae3115a87818.jpg

Reed / cattail can grow near frog ponds. And so on.

Spoiler

4.jpg.a6eeb579e3ec7afda8ba8b455af97850.jpg5.jpg.6058a792eb537fff904a1cfb3ea07ef7.jpg

2 minutes ago, 0rutyna0 said:

In Dont Starve all biomes are pronounced. In reality, this is not the case. Biomes can be mixed, and a plant or animal species can inhabit many different territories. For example, the usual Grassland may be covered with glades of sand with cacti growing there.

Reveal hidden contents

1.jpg.0e70476beb96f5f6b520c543e4e56d9b.jpg3.jpg.d255727251509947d7a4ea944758b386.jpg

The forests can be mixed and creatures from both types of forest can live in them.

Reveal hidden contents

7.thumb.jpg.7e76a55863518aa331941ae694a8639e.jpg8.thumb.jpg.c22ca5477c48a46f184eae3115a87818.jpg

Reed / cattail can grow near frog ponds. And so on.

Reveal hidden contents

4.jpg.a6eeb579e3ec7afda8ba8b455af97850.jpg5.jpg.6058a792eb537fff904a1cfb3ea07ef7.jpg

What does this have to do with "more" not working in the game properly... More in DST isn't a couple more. It's everywhere and in crazy numbers

3 minutes ago, FreyaMaluk said:

What does this have to do with "more" not working in the game properly... More in DST isn't a couple more. It's everywhere and in crazy numbers

I am not trying to justify the fact that “more” makes something ubiquitous. I'm talking about how to adequately implement this "more." I apologize if I did not express myself clearly, English is not my native language.

I get what you mean but it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for biomes to be distinct in most circumstances, than blend at higher grass tuft, or berry bush amounts.  While this could be a new feature (we're getting new biomes) it wouldn't make much sense to only have for "more" or "lots"

5 hours ago, FreyaMaluk said:

My only problem with Twiggy trees is that they massively overtake the world. I would love if the devs could tune down their spawn rate.

this is the only issue i have with everything mentioned in this thread, since i dont play in very populated worlds or stay 800+ days in a single one

also i feel like there should be some sort of "hard mode" to the world itself, because a lot of people i know hate disease, frog rains and petrification with all of their hearts and always disable it

It determines how fast or slow the light from the surface dissapears from the caves, which can give a player more or less time to prepare for charlie in desperate situations.  It's not really a part of generation, though this is probably the closest post to this, andyways

On 2.4.2019 at 5:10 PM, FreyaMaluk said:

I think you should ask for an option to remove them from YOUR game, not the entire game for everyone. 

I don't really have any lag problems so I actually like the gekkos and many people have gekko farms too.

BTW, grass tufts and sapplings do regen, specially in light green areas in both survival and endless.

I agree that Fossils should be renewable too, but Slurtle Mounds not. BTW you can always heal the mounts with healing salves ... so I really don't see the point in asking the devs to make them renewable and causing unnecessary world gen problems.

attacking slurlte mounds with fire and icestaff doesnt make them damage but make them come out. but i didnt know you can heal them :)

btw: grass tufts, saplings, berrie bushes, mushrooms and moles DO respawn!

im burning, digging them all the time around my base and they do regrow 100%

my settings are on very slow world regen but they still regrow pretty fast. 

and im playing on endless server

and btw NEVER play with less trees and less mushtrees settings. they will regrow evrywhere. you will have for example decidious trees in swamp, savannah, ruins

Archived