Natural Disasters

Great idea, disasters would certainly spice things up quite a bit.

And here's a fun idea for a disaster/event I would love to see;

Alien encounter

Effect: Vilzon the alien (who looks like a green-skinned Wilson with antennas) lands his crystal potato ship and runs around collecting grass and twigs for his advanced alien research. On sight, he will shoot at the player with his dart blaster. He is also very rude and will steal stuff from the player's camp. His ship's greenish glow lights up the entire world faintly. He can't die, but if he takes enough damage he will panic and run back to his ship and leave the planet.

Time/Place: Any night, very rarely (the ship's greenish light lets you leave your camp to investigate without having to fear the grue, but once Vilzon leaves the darkness will return, so keep a torch with you)

Prevented By: Can't be prevented. You will always know when he is in the world because of the greenish lighting he causes, and will know that he leaves when it goes back to normal. He will always leave at morning, or when he feels he has collected enough resources to move on to the next planet (aka at random). Avoid him until then, or wear a bush hat and stand completely still to make sure he doesn't notice you if he comes too close.

I saw Aliens, thought "Nope". But then I read on. This is actually a brilliant idea! Maybe a Submarine, as opposed to a UFO, like a Captain Nemo type figure as he appears in 'The Mysterious Island' (by Jules Verne) would fit the game a bit better. Bu he would do that same stuff, just have the old-timey diving gear, like this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4230[/ATTACH]

I would prefer that. The UFO just seems to tech-y. :)

By the way Captain Nemo is a figure who lives in a Submarine and causes things to happen on the island, which fits what 'Vilzon' does (e.g. Shoots an animal, so Don't Starve terms- kills a Beefalo or something).

I wanted to make a suggestion thread with the same title, I'm glad I found this. Because it's like what I wanted to say.Plus.Some people suggested endless night somewhere. I have an idea of Sun eclipse as a natural disaster. Rain:When it's raining you need to add more fuel to your fire to keep it alive. Or a new, rainproof type of campfire can be added.After rain comes mosquito, and mud forms on the land to make the player move slower. Rain can make vegetables grow faster.I was thinking in windstorm instead of tornado that picks up some of your not so massive stuffs and place them in random parts of your land. You need to pick them up again or get new ones. Wind can also "kill" some trees. (I mean like they are losing their leaves)Thunder or the heat of summer Sun can cause forest fire.

Ooh, I like these ideas! I may be a glutton for punishment, but I'm also a geologist! I wonder how the engine would handle things like floods or volcanoes. I'd think that would take a lot of code fixing. But I second natural disasters! I think they would fit well with the tone of being alone in a hostile world. Sometimes horrible things just happen.Foggy days might be cool, to limit visibility and make exposed food degrade faster. Or smoke from forest fires could do the same. Heat waves in the summer could wilt berry bushes and farms, maybe force bunnies underground for the day. A random meteor strike could start a nasty fire, and fill the air with smoke/fog for a few days. I love that the farm soil degrades over time...maybe planting and harvesting trees too many times in one area could do the same? Turn it into rocky land, so you have to use a pitchfork and fertilizer to replenish it? Subsidence and erosion are brutal! Ugh...I'm so uncomfortable making demands on devs! But I love the "hostile nature" stuff!

Edited by anthroteuthis

Not quite sure. Probably later, I can wait a little. I think I will miss Rapture....

Posted Image

To not derailing this thread, something about Disasters.

I think these will help making the game more awesome. But they shouldn't occur too often and perhaps not in World 1 Adventure. In Sandbox you can disaster your game apart as you like.

I like the Earthquake, Hot summer and Storm ideas.

I liked all of them.Except tsunamis. That's not even remotely regular like an earthquake or volcano eruption, come on.

Actually if you think about it, they can be just as regular as an earthquake or volcano eruption, because they are often caused by earthquakes or volcano eruptions! :OYou know that could be a thing, chance of tsunami after an earthquake or volcano eruption. :PLogic aside, for gameplays sense tsunami is probably the best water hazard that the game could work with. Though with rain coming we don't know what that will have in store for us.

Actually if you think about it, they can be just as regular as an earthquake or volcano eruption, because they are often caused by earthquakes or volcano eruptions! :o

I was just gonna say that! Although for gameplay purposes, I think I'd prefer floods to tsunamis.

Actually if you think about it, they can be just as regular as an earthquake or volcano eruption, because they are often caused by earthquakes or volcano eruptions! :OYou know that could be a thing, chance of tsunami after an earthquake or volcano eruption. :PLogic aside, for gameplays sense tsunami is probably the best water hazard that the game could work with. Though with rain coming we don't know what that will have in store for us.

Oh, you got me there.Now I'm accepting tsunamis too, haha

lolWith all this talk of natural disasters, it's like the character is living on an island with the worst luck in weather that compresses the terraforming of a world over millions of years into 100 days on one island. xDNext, they're gonna have the player start off as a caveman around dinosaurs, then as the game progresses, the creatures evolve and eventually lead to how it is now with all the weapon upgrades from going through time! :V