Shine bug Solar paners viable?

The main issue is the amount of dupe time you'll spend grooming shinebugs. Unless you're using a feedlot ranch you'll get more power per dupe just by building some hamster wheels.

But with feedlot ranching it might actually be worthwhile, I haven't mathed it out.

You don’t need any setup to do it. You just need 1 grooming station in the open air, outside rooms. Easily you will get hundreds of them and deconstruct the groom station and they’ll stay there forever without being taken care of. But don’t try to morph them into abyss bug or radiant bug, they don’t provide more light, and they require food to tame. If you have a beast PC, it’s fun to try, 

5c8111e849472_Screenshot(17).thumb.png.5ec8247ca423885b36527727579c0c12.png

This is from my old save, I destructed a stable and forgot to destruct the groom station, some time later I had 200 bugs, they provided more light than space at noon. So I killed 100 and left 100.

On 6.3.2019 at 1:30 PM, avc15 said:

The main issue is the amount of dupe time you'll spend grooming shinebugs.

But we don´t need to groom shinebugs ;)

Ok, I am one of the few player that builds shinebug power plants:

A critter feeder in an "open room" between two solar panels is an possible low work time setup.

But my most common used design is the following:

Spoiler

plant.thumb.png.02e9ff3cccff99273fadf75273fa7b82.png

I build a "common" 16x4 room and placed a grooming station in the middle with a solar panel on each side.

The doors are replaced with critter feeders to add all my corridors to the "open room".

The grooming station is rarely used, because the priority is set so low that my duplicants will just groom if everything except "casual storage tasks" is done.

("casual storage tasks" excludes storing off-gassing materials and temperature sensitive materials.)

=> Without grooming I am able to produce ~20-30kj, with grooming station working around the clock I reach just 30-50kj.

(Working around the clock means there is always a duplicant on his way to groom or grooming, no down time or global sleep schedule will interrupt the grooming^^)

Take away:

- Solar panel above a floor work better than solar panels used as floor.

- Critter feeders work like less effective lures

- Having a dedicated rancher for my setup just yields just 20kj additional energy (~50s on a (not tuned) manual generator)

So if you want some early decor and a small supply of egg shells why not farm shine bugs ?

And if your already farming shine bugs, why not see it as "free" energy like 0xFade said.

My advise after >1000cycles of shine bug farming and solar power generation:

If you think about grooming shine bugs to gain more power, better use a manual generator.

But some well placed critter feeders (and maybe even a lure if you want to use additional resources) could yield more energy per duplicant work time than a (not tuned) manual generator. (Delivering to the critter feeder/lure  vs  operating the manual generator)

The first time I actually used solar power was by using shine bugs, it can definitely work, and it is better than just a manual generator if you do it right, but your CPU will have you for it.

The main reason I stopped using solar bug plants was because of the lag it generated.

On 3/8/2019 at 6:40 AM, nakomaru said:

You answered your own question. The catch is you do need to groom at the start to increase your population to whatever you want. Then just leave.

Using a water lock, I power 16 solar gens with shine bugs. Two times a day, a lure in the center briefly turns on to reset their positions.

Why only two times a day?

On 3/7/2019 at 4:38 AM, goatt said:

You don’t need any setup to do it. You just need 1 grooming station in the open air, outside rooms.

You don't even need that. Just dump any eggs you get from the printing pod next to a lure and solar panel. Leave them wild; no feeding or grooming. Free 90W of power.

image.thumb.png.dbd70d69d408dcc0a0354825cd8fc4c0.png

2 hours ago, nonoxyl said:

You don't even need that. Just dump any eggs you get from the printing pod next to a lure and solar panel. Leave them wild; no feeding or grooming. Free 90W of power.

image.thumb.png.dbd70d69d408dcc0a0354825cd8fc4c0.png

True, if you let it run 1000 cycles with luck.

Archived