What FPS do you get in game ?

I get around 5 to 10 fps in game. It is very frustrating for me to watch the dupes move in frames. I dont know the issue that may be causing this, because I have seen videos of other people with much higher fps and smoother gameplays. 

Here is my pc spec (Its an Alienware laptop). Please help me identify the issue behind low fps.

5c7e0e32c2b9d_pcspec.JPG.2a73def14f04d50cf731f72708824f49.JPG

gfx.JPG.9bf6c74846bbd9e961a846a113a5d47b.JPG

Here is a snapshot of the Task Manager while the game is running:

image.thumb.png.1fb1debbc2c6847804df0affc9f8d1fc.png

The hardware of your system should be sufficient. 

I just assume you have a legal copy of oxygen not included. If not, and you´re using an older version of the game, you may consider buying the game to get a legal copy, and access to new improvements, like multhithreaded pathfinding. 

Another thing is, you´re using a laptop. They are known to have cooling issues at some point. If your CPU runs into the thermal-limit, it throttles its speed. That results in overall performance loss. 

You may monitor the clock speed of your CPU while running ONI. If the system reduced clock speed, you have found your problem. Your CPU should run at 2.8 Ghz (more if cooling is good), but if its running below that all the time, your laptop wont provide the cooling needed.

If this is the case, you may give the laptop to a service-station to clean the fans, to get back optimal cooling. The cheaper solution would be a cooling-pad with fans, placed under your laptop to get rid of the warm air. Such pads you can buy for a few bucks everywhere, and they will help alot. 

I made a quit review of your laptop-model, and unsurprisingly, the model is known to have heat-issues, causing the cpu to throttle down to 0.7 Ghz on all cores, to prevent overheating. If this is the problem you are facing,it would explain the poor performance in ONI.

There are few tips from dell/alienware here https://www.dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/sln305033/alienware-15-r3-17-r4-overheat-performance-issues-or-throttling-during-high-cpu-stress?lang=en

38 minutes ago, Oozinator said:

lol mega-sufficient for a 2D game ^^

It's much more complicated than that. The game isn't gpu intensive. on board graphics I think already suffice. But the game does require a decent CPU with good single thread performance (the developers did do a significant job on shifting it towards multithread).

That being said, his processor (and basically all of his hardware for that matter) is much better than mine and I got like 40 FPS on average on a late game base. I'm not going to start with questions if his game is legal or not. Let's just assume it is and hence he is on the latest version. There are a couple of things

-Judging by the pictures he provided, there is an unusual high amount of memory used. I don't know if that's the game or if he has a lot of processes running in the background. Should this be the game, then it looks like a memory leak and thus is a bug.

-A second option is you are using hardware intensive concepts. Maybe you replaced all of your exosuits with jetsuits, maybe you have very complex automation systems going on. That's difficult to tell.

Posting your save game here would help a lot so we can check it out.

3 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

The hardware of your system should be sufficient. 

I just assume you have a legal copy of oxygen not included. If not, and you´re using an older version of the game, you may consider buying the game to get a legal copy, and access to new improvements, like multhithreaded pathfinding. 

Another thing is, you´re using a laptop. They are known to have cooling issues at some point. If your CPU runs into the thermal-limit, it throttles its speed. That results in overall performance loss. 

You may monitor the clock speed of your CPU while running ONI. If the system reduced clock speed, you have found your problem. Your CPU should run at 2.8 Ghz (more if cooling is good), but if its running below that all the time, your laptop wont provide the cooling needed.

If this is the case, you may give the laptop to a service-station to clean the fans, to get back optimal cooling. The cheaper solution would be a cooling-pad with fans, placed under your laptop to get rid of the warm air. Such pads you can buy for a few bucks everywhere, and they will help alot. 

I made a quit review of your laptop-model, and unsurprisingly, the model is known to have heat-issues, causing the cpu to throttle down to 0.7 Ghz on all cores, to prevent overheating. If this is the problem you are facing,it would explain the poor performance in ONI.

There are few tips from dell/alienware here https://www.dell.com/support/article/de/de/debsdt1/sln305033/alienware-15-r3-17-r4-overheat-performance-issues-or-throttling-during-high-cpu-stress?lang=en

First of all, I do have a legal copy of ONI as well as my OS. I do know multithread pathfinding was introduced in the latest patch but I had issues nevertheless.

I do agree my laptop model does have heating issues as a design fault. My laptop is 1 year old and just 2 months back, I was having heating issues and so I got the whole heating assembly with fans replaced from dell. They had used minimal paste which I asked them to used more heartily this time and it worked well after that. Heating issues were rare but I still didn't use to get the performance I expected from this beast machine. I am an avid gamer and play graphics/cpu intensive games. ONI being a 2D game, I expected to get good performance but NO. Hence I had to make this thread. Now after reading your reply @SharraShimada, I did some googling and found that you were right,my cpu speed was underclocked to 0.78 Ghz even if there was no heating. I guess it was hard coded into design to avoid heating issues. RIP Dell. Anyway, I got to know of this software called 'Throttlestop' which overrides this setting. I was skeptical of using a 3rd party software to override a safety feature but I read in a lot of forums that it does work and its not that I am overcloking my cpu, I am just overriding the underclock feature which is not needed at the moment at least. If I see any heating issues I will revert back to throttling. 

So, using the software, I removed the underclocking and now my cpu speed jumped from 0.78 Ghz to around 3.4 Ghz as you had mentioned.

5c7e430f5feec_cpunew.thumb.JPG.f28b30e39f1ebb39d3c781c56cdb728f.JPG

Then I started ONI. And OH BOY ! My fps is now constantly above 30. Its like playing a new game altogether. The game is so fast now, I had to slow it down using Tab to get a grip LOL. I must admit you have been a Saviour @SharraShimada. ONI has been Reborn for me. And not just that, I got to play my other fav games to try and see the performance improvements while keeping an eye on the core temps.

Thanks A LOT again. 

Edit: @ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy I do have heavy automation going which should be hampering my fps. But as I mentioned here, the issue was different and has been solved. 

Glad to be of service, and happy your problem got solved so easy. Alienware/Dell is a huge player, but they also make huge mistakes sometimes. 

I hope you enjoy ONI now, as much as we all do, because its a great game, with much to come. It would be shame to loose a player, because some dude at Dell had made a bad design-choice. 

18 minutes ago, DreamApart said:

But it should be. Because the game could be heavily optimized with parallel computing, which is suitable to be performed on GPU.

Nope, nope nope, and nope again. You do need to understand the difference of parallel work and parallel computing. 

For example: You can do waving with your left hand, while writing with the right hand. Thats parallel work. But are not able to write the same line 50 times simultaneously with the same hand. That would parallel computing. GPUs are perfect hardware to do similar things simultaneously, because they have hundrets or thousands of tiny cores. But they are really bad, when it comes to heavy calculations, because the cores itself are weak. 

And thats the problem, why you cant multithread everything in a game. It just dont work that way.

2 hours ago, Rogue Witch said:

So, using the software, I removed the underclocking

Have an eye on your sys temperatures, when doing that, better setup an alarm..
Your Laptop series is known as bad engineered, when it comes to temp management. Good luck ^^

71+oW2O1Z2L._SL1500_.jpg

One interesting thing i have noticed is that sounds can become a huge cpu hog for this game, after a certain threshold.

I think the game tries to handle all sound sources instead of dropping channels to avoid buffer overflows.Also unity's sound effects like reverb are abysmal in efficiency. Not noticeable in bigger systems with a lot of RAM, but very noticeable in older computers

On 2019/3/5 at 5:56 PM, SharraShimada said:

Nope, nope nope, and nope again. You do need to understand the difference of parallel work and parallel computing. 

For example: You can do waving with your left hand, while writing with the right hand. Thats parallel work. But are not able to write the same line 50 times simultaneously with the same hand. That would parallel computing. GPUs are perfect hardware to do similar things simultaneously, because they have hundrets or thousands of tiny cores. But they are really bad, when it comes to heavy calculations, because the cores itself are weak. 

And thats the problem, why you cant multithread everything in a game. It just dont work that way.

Well, to go parallel or not, it's all about the algorithm they use.

Especially the gas part, the state of the gases in each tile in the next tick is just a function of the state in the current tick. And so parallel computing can significantly improve the performance if computation about fluid flowing currently costs a lot of CPU time.

35-25 fps.

Maybe you need to improve your base.

Clean all the derbis, mop all the water, make only one route to go anywhere, make onky one pool for kind of liquid and make a compact base. The regolith is another big, BIIIIIG problem, but today we don't have any easy way to clean all of it.

Maybe if we recolect firms some dev look at us and fix that. One quarter part from the meteors maybe can help. (:

That things helps a lot and you enjoy your game. (:

4 hours ago, DreamApart said:

Well, to go parallel or not, it's all about the algorithm they use.

Especially the gas part, the state of the gases in each tile in the next tick is just a function of the state in the current tick. And so parallel computing can significantly improve the performance if computation about fluid flowing currently costs a lot of CPU time.

Yes such things yould be optimized alot. But it takes weeks of code-working for the devs. There is no "we need to do a thousand tiles, hey multicore-thingy, please do it, like you please". 

The´ve done some improvments to pipes and pathfinding already. And i´m sure, there is more to come. But it will take time. And if they rush things, it will be worse than ever. Even single-thread computing is better than really bad multithreading.

5 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I have to say, it kind of bothers me that a gaming-specific laptop would detune the processor to such a horrible low state. I mean that would bottle neck even GPU intensive games, right?

I was thinking the same thing

Did Dell sell this as a 0.8 ghz CPU?  I doubt it...but then they force to be almost turned off?  bad form dell.

6 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

I have to say, it kind of bothers me that a gaming-specific laptop would detune the processor to such a horrible low state. I mean that would bottle neck even GPU intensive games, right?

It was a bug in the first revision of the bios. Such things happen.

2 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Omg, in the bios... . I mean yeah it happens, but that's a rather big bug for what should be a consumer ready product. Updating your bios also comes with risks.

Yes and no. Mistakes happen. And due to current very short production preocesses and lifetimes, even more bugs emerge.

And yes, BIOS-updates where a problem back in the days. Today, they have tools for everything. It can always fail for sure, but it happens way rare today. 

Archived