In-line packet stacker

Ok, so I happened to come across a youtuber trying to make a packet stacker. And although he eventually succeeded, here's a far more elegant and more useful version.

It uses the in-line blockage detector I've described in a previous thread to trigger a shut off valve. When a blockage is detected it allows the pipe to become unblocked releasing a series of full packets. The one, and only one pipe gap between the blockage detector and the shut off valve is important.

The most important thing about this packet stacker is that it never releases single packets which is important because a temp sensor cannot detect single packets so you want to avoid single packets.

image.thumb.png.e50314800ae58d59c29e245757f2c9ac.png

image.thumb.png.a1ebb382bef6e6a3c945362bb9e7d74b.png

image.thumb.png.1797571d7cb20558246e76bb94712858.png

It’s neat. I like the idea. But for people like me who dislike struggling seeing things and modify existing pipes a lot in practice, I prefer not to use this. I used it before, but had to deconstruct whole thing every time.

21 hours ago, Saturnus said:

The one, and only one pipe gap between the blockage detector and the shut off valve is important.

One tile gap ? In your setup, there are 3 tiles between the sensor and the gas shutoff. The ends of the bridge do count as a gas 'pipe tile'. Only the middle 'pipe tile' of a bridge is considered a 'teleporter tile'.

48 minutes ago, Rogue Witch said:

One tile gap ? In your setup, there are 3 tiles between the sensor and the gas shutoff. The ends of the bridge do count as a gas 'pipe tile'. Only the middle 'pipe tile' of a bridge is considered a 'teleporter tile'.

Why do people do this on this forum so much? Good lord. 

2 hours ago, Rogue Witch said:

So? The design is still solid. I had a go at something like this without the automation/shutoff which is clearly the key here. Very clever.

3 hours ago, Rogue Witch said:

Picard Facepalm

57 minutes ago, Miravlix said:

The guy said it was important with a one tile gap, but the design has a 3 tile gap, wtf is wrong with being confused about that?

That is what I said. ...between the blockage detector and the shut off valve. And I actually said "one pipe gap".

On 19/02/2019 at 9:18 PM, Saturnus said:

The one, and only one pipe gap between the blockage detector and the shut off valve is important.

image.png.bb3ffc7a2d7e5281559bb93e40dd9ada.png

2 hours ago, Dyrewulfe said:

Why exactly is that gap important? I tested this with a longer section, and saw no problems with it.

Here's the answer:

On 2/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, Saturnus said:

The most important thing about this packet stacker is that it never releases single packets which is important because a temp sensor cannot detect single packets so you want to avoid single packets.

Longer is fine.  Shorter is not.

On 2/19/2019 at 1:18 PM, Saturnus said:

The one, and only one pipe gap

@mathmanican Well, that's why I asked.

Edit: It's worded such that it sounds like there's a possible problem with having the pipe longer there, so I wanted to make sure, is what I mean. Just realized I might have sounded rude, and didn't mean to. Just wanted to get some clarity before using it in an actual system.

38 minutes ago, Dyrewulfe said:

It's worded such that it sounds like there's a possible problem with having the pipe longer there, so I wanted to make sure, is what I mean. Just realized I might have sounded rude, and didn't mean to.

Haha.  No worries. I read it as, "The only gap you see (length>=1)" rather than "the gap that is one segment long." I agree that exactly as written it could be misread. Does the "one, and only one" refer to the fact that it is the only gap you see, or to the fact the gap is exactly one segment long.  Since I didn't see any reference to length of the gap in the post, I didn't insert length into my interpretation.  @Saturnus generally means exactly what's said, nothing more, nothing less. He later emphasized that he said "one pipe gap" not "one tile gap." RougeWitch inserted the word "tile", causing more and more confusion. That Picard picture was a highlight to my day @Saturnus. Loved it. 

If the length of the one gap has to be one, and only one unit long, then I hope to hear more and stand corrected.

All you need is a single gap of any length to ensure that packets are never released as a single packet. 

On 2/20/2019 at 1:48 AM, Saturnus said:

My post was only concerned with this. You mentioned "one and only one tile gap". Whereas it does work with longer tile gaps. 

And I am not criticising his design. I know Saturnus is a great Contributor and I am grateful for him sharing the design. 

On 2/20/2019 at 1:48 AM, Saturnus said:

I happened to come across a youtuber trying to make a packet stacker

By the way @Saturnus, is the youtuber you referring to here Brothgar ?

2 hours ago, Rogue Witch said:

My post was only concerned with this. You mentioned "one and only one tile gap". Whereas it does work with longer tile gaps. 

I wrote "one pipe gap"... not "one tile gap". It's the gap between the two bridges of the blockage detector and the shut off valve. I don't think I could have made this clearer as I thought it was plainly obvious from the picture but I guess I was wrong. I'll endeavour to be clearer in the future.

The pipe gap can be longer than one tile obviously but it cannot be omitted if you want it to only output full packets and avoid single full packets. If it's omitted then sometimes less than full packets are allowed through after one or more full packets. And if it's omitted then sometimes exactly one single full packet will be allowed through which we also want to avoid. 

And yes, it's Brothgar.

45 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

No that's the double bridge in-line blockage detector I've described in an earlier thread... as I already stated in the original post.

Are you saying that those two green tiles, isn't like the circled one?

If you remove the green covering the view, it looks PRECISELY like the circled tile. 3 packets in a row.

Just now, Miravlix said:

Are you saying that those two green tiles, isn't like the circled one?

If you remove the green covering the view, it looks PRECISELY like the circled tile. 3 packets in a row.

Are you pretending to be obtuse or is it not an act you've put on?

This is the last time I'll explain it to you. My original post says that I use my in-line blockage detector I have described elsewhere

If you had looked that up you'll find it looks like this

image.png.85a0f6ce2850d899409024bd3dbfd31a.png

Then I said a one pipe gap between the blockage detector and the shut off valve. A shut of valve looks like this

image.png.dde76d458c998a80529faca0e00a729d.png

And one pipe section looks like this

image.png.3457aa649ce870f0f48f538199384091.png

Now you got the 3 elements I've described in my original post

image.thumb.png.4af800554724e36cf942de343866e881.png

You put those things together and you got

image.thumb.png.ec6a88438b6eb373b821b18a30edd7e3.png

You see.

Everything is exactly as I described it in my original post.

Archived