Your Wormwood tips

I've been really loving playing as Wormwood because of the different play style it requires. Here are a few things I've learned:

1. Wormwood's health is unaffected by food either positively or negatively, so you can eat monster meat/lasagne and only take sanity damage. You gain sanity by planting anything, so just plant any seeds you come across to counteract this.

2. Basing near a lake and a mant hill seems essential to me, which means not basing in my usual place, Herald Island. The first island usually has a mant hill near the water--in fact, that's the mant hill that's usually got some pig heads on sticks you can hammer for an early helmet. Honey poultice is what you want to stock up on, and so you want to be able to regularly harvest reeds and get nectar into the mant chests for honey. One bonus of being near the water a lot is that hippos and frogs will constantly fight mosquitos and you can get a lot of free sacs. It's worth building a rowboat with a snakeskin sail so you can dodge waves. They seem very fast in Hamlet. Put a rabbit trap or two along the shore to catch frog legs which can be turned into eggs or small jerky.

3. There's a bug that causes some lush season effects to persist into temperate and even humid seasons. One of these is Wormwood budding pretty much continuously through the year, which gives you a speed boost but is a big hunger drain. Logging out and in again usually fixes this.

4. Trying to "plant" an area with the rooted snaptooths is an easy way of farming lightbulbs from glowflies if you plant them near exotic flowers. It can be tricky laying out the meat just right without getting chomped, but as long as you're not carrying meat or eggs they won't bite you. If you do this near the shore, they will often level up on their own due to frogs. I wonder if anyone has found a way to use them to kill bats. The idea of popping under a bush hat in the midst of a bunch of them sounds pretty appealing.

5. The snakeskin hat used to protect against lightning but this no longer works in Hamlet! It's probably worth it to build a Skyworthy and prebuild an Alchemy Engine just so you can go to ROG with a store-bought Deerclops eye to make an eyebrella.

Any other tips for Wormwood players?

Best ways to heal yourself as Wormwood:

• Using the Siesta Lean-to (2x Silk, 4x Boards, 3x Rope; 6 usages, restores 60 Health, 50 Sanity at cost of 25 Hunger & skipping to dusk)
    • 180 Health + 150 Sanity per Silk or 300 Health + 250 Sanity per Silk if hammered after 5 Uses
    • Way cheaper than the Tent (Tent requires 6 Silk)
    • Doesn't waste any time if used on the last time segment before Dusk
    • Allows to skip the hunger drain during Lush Season
  • Buying & Stacking Honey Poultice (30 health for 5 oincs) and Healing Salve (20 health for 4 oincs) from the 'Curly Tails Mud Spa' shop
    • 6-5 Health per Oinc, usable everywhere
  • Give a Gold Nugget to the Wishing Well (80% chance to heal 100 health and to cure Poison)
    • 8 Health per Oinc, requires Wishing Well
    • Best way in early game? (in case of emergency & if Wishing Well has been found)

Personally i got myself a mod to ignore jungle ferns and i made my base there so i have a ton of food from flytraps and moleworms.

Here's some tips, mainly about using somewhat friendly flytraps to your advantage:

1.You can make automatic meat farm by using flytraps and moleworms since  fully grown flytraps will kill them and won't eat the drop, tho you have to be careful while taking the meat since they can attack you when you have meat in your inventory. Note that eventually small flytraps will spawn so you have to kill them or things might get out of control. 

2.Fully grown flytraps also attack bats so you can use them to protect yourself, tho getting any loot might be problematic since pig skin? also counts as meat. 

3.Since lowering your sanity with wormwood is really easy i recommend prioritize building few arcane shops so you can sell all the nightmare fuel,  oddities emporium to sell all the chitine left from dung beetles killed by flytraps (since they will spread everywhere by chasing glowflies) and a mud spa for healing items

4.You can surround a bunch of meat left on the ground with a wall and kill all the flytraps that will try to eat it (they don't attack back if they go for the meat and they can't attack walls) thus making it a easy source of food. 

5.Getting a bird in the cage will give you access to unlimited amount of seeds, so you can regain your sanity almost instantly and make a huge farm

6.Fly traps will hunt dung beetles so  manure,chitin,  flint and rocks can  be farmed easly

7.AVOID FIGHTING PIG GUARDS AT DUSK OR AT NIGHT AND AVOID FIGHTING THE ANCIENT HERALD 

8. If you use pig guards for defence,  make stone walls around them since if they hit something with a torch,  your sanity might get out of control in an instant due to sanity loss from destroying plants. 

Edit: You can also use wishing wells to heal yourself by throwing some gold into them. 

6 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Have you tried this? I used it with other characters, but in a recent run I tossed three nuggets in a row in a well with no luck.

Well, it's a 80% chance if you throw in a golden nugget so it might fail sometimes. 

1 hour ago, AxynQ said:

What about hippopotamoose, do they respawn? I mean what will happen if i kill all of them? Then how can I collect antlers?

Hippopotamooses have herds, like Beefalo or Pogs. As long as you don't kill every hippo in a herd, they'll eventually respawn.

11 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Have you tried this? I used it with other characters, but in a recent run I tossed three nuggets in a row in a well with no luck.

It's not 100% chance.  I think I read on another thread a gold nugget has an 80% chance of healing you if dropped in a well, but I'm not positive what the % is.  point is, you got unlucky.  

29 minutes ago, S19TealPenguin said:

Found this out the hard way, Wormwood can be set on fire by standing too close to an unprotected fire (Campfire, Wall Brazier etc.) similar to any other flammable structure.

thats the one thing i really dont like about them

Archived