Creating a translation using the PO Format

Bigfoot

Do we support non-ASCII fonts?

At the moment, we do not support non-ASCII fonts. We're looking into it, but our current priority is finishing the game!

It's been a year now.  Does the game support non-ASCII characters now?

It's been a year now.  Does the game support non-ASCII characters now?

Alright I tested myself.  Non-ASCII is currently not supported now.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=329714559

I'm willing to make a Chinese translation mod.  I really hope such this great game can support non-ASCII characters so that I can provide a Chinese mod to Chinese players.  :o

Com'on dev.  It's been over a year since you said non-ASCII is in plan (though not priority).  This should be awesome for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and more other country's players who read non-ASCII language.

Hello everyone... Is there a way to simply replace the entire font in the game?

Replace it with a normal font that includes "special characters"? Does it all work then?

I don't know how to edit my forum post so I'll add it here:

For languages only slightly different from English, the font could be edited so just a few of the extra ASCII characters could be changed. Ex. if your language doesn't have x, then edit the font so that x looks like ð which you do need. So maybe that's what I will have to do myself, if we can replace the font easily.

I don't know how to edit my forum post so I'll add it here:

For languages only slightly different from English, the font could be edited so just a few of the extra ASCII characters could be changed. Ex. if your language doesn't have x, then edit the font so that x looks like ð which you do need. So maybe that's what I will have to do myself, if we can replace the font easily.

I am facing the same issue. I've seen a bunch of language packs out there that have along with the .po file, a fonts directory, with the font that contain the so needed "x" characters. I do not yet understand how that's done, why they are compressed in the specific way they are (.tex files along with the .fnt) and how the code leading to the activation of them works. It would be really nice if someone could point me way to learning about this stuff. Searched around a lil bit, found a bunch of dead ends.

To translate Don't Starve Download POEdit: http://poedit.net Open dont_starve/data/scripts/languages/strings.pot (the PO Template file) inside POEdit. Use the program to translate the game, and save it as [language].po. For example, you  save it as "italian.po" Create a new mod for your language, starting from this language template mod. Copy your .po file to your new mod. Edit modmain.lua to point at the name of your file and language code, like this:

I'd like to temporarily use the included japanese.po (found it in the data/scripts/languages directory) for a friend of mine. Searched all over the place for a way to apply the translation, and when I look at the OP, the area at the end of where I quoted is blank with regards to what I need to change in the .lua file.

Programming type, I am not. Someone please help? Do I need to download POEdit for what I need to do, or can I just edit in notepad?

Yep, don't worry.

I have the same problem. I'm also making polish translation and can't see any progress when opening the game. I'm not using any polish characters or symbols, so it shouldn't be a problem... Please help!

attachicon.gif9751.attach

attachicon.gif9752.attach

EDIT: I've solved it somehow. Thanks all

How exaclty did you solve it. I'm having the same issue and it's driving me nuts :(

• Developer
6 hours ago, kodan said:

Please tell me how I can create this mod?, Arabic language ?

I'm sorry, but I don't know how you'd go around with adding a custom font to the game :(

You could try and ask the authors of other language mods that use custom fonts, like the Russian language mod :)

• Like 1

@ImDaMisterL @Bigfoot

I'm getting these errors

3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM: C:\Users\DaisyA\AppData\Local\Temp\poeD338.tmp\1input.po:85801: warning: internationalized messages should not contain the '\r' escape sequence
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM: C:\Users\DaisyA\AppData\Local\Temp\poeD338.tmp\1input.po:85801: warning: internationalized messages should not contain the '\r' escape sequence
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM: C:\Users\DaisyA\AppData\Local\Temp\poeD338.tmp\1input.po:95168: warning: The following msgid contains non-ASCII characters.
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM:                                                                          This will cause problems to translators who use a character encoding
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM:                                                                          different from yours. Consider using a pure ASCII msgid instead.
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM:                                                                          
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM: rs\DaisyA\AppData\Local\Temp\poeD338.tmp\1input.po:95172: warning: The following msgid contains non-ASCII characters.
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM:                                                                          This will cause problems to translators who use a character encoding
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM:                                                                          different from yours. Consider using a pure ASCII msgid instead.
3/27/2017 10:37:13 PM:         

Should I worry about it?