Creating a translation using the PO Format

Bigfoot

Yes, in modmain you must *define* them (with the default english) so the game can pick them up.Then through the po file you can *change* the strings defined in the mod to another language...but these new items need to be added to a language po file, french.po for example. Translators can do that easily if you provide a "pot" file so they can import your new strings into their existing po file.Internally, the game uses the translator class to translate the strings table against the po file specified in the language.lua file.Regarding mgsid....in the base game, that is used to match up the strings which means they must be "unique"....but with my v2 format using the New PO Translator mod, you can have "duplicate" msgids because I am indexing off of the msgctxt field which is just the path defined in the strings table so "duplicate" text is supported.

For my Insanity Creatures mod, I made my own speech file loading mechanism to handle the new strings in lua format but that does not address translating them to a different language.I am debating on whether it makes sense to add an "additional speech" loading mechanism to the translator in order to support mod specific po files. That way you can define the strings in modmain and make a function call to the translator to load a po file for your mod if one has been assigned to the mod in the language.lua file.

i could help maybe but first i need to check out the russian translation first. [MENTION=14857]Macbet[/MENTION], maybe you could translate it into 100% russian.regardsDontStarver

I would like to help too. I'm fluent in English and my Russian is perfect x)But ABOVE ALL I would like to participate in font cyrillization process. I hate those ugly characters which most of localizators include in their "translations", I can recreate original shapes of glyphs as it was mentioned to be. I have an expirience in this activity. I made cyrillization for vector fonts, but I guess that Don't Starve has raster textures for glyphs. It's not problem for me in any case. Just need a tool to open and edit textures and some favour and effort from developers side. Please give us UTF-8 support ) Edited by Royamicus

I started translating this for Greek.I got two questions. Can someone plz tell me if greek is a non ascii lang? So i don't do it in vain?And secondly. If i am half-way finished with the translation, can i get in game to see my progress on the lines that i have translated? or it must be finished?because i did everything described above, i translated the "Say pal...etc etc" the first two lines of Maxwell. i saved it as greek.po and added the said line in the lang.lua (ofc replacing the italian.po with greek.po) and when in game it didn't get translated. it was still english. So maybe i have to do something else or...? Help please.

Brothers... i translate the game of PL and can't use this in game, why?http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/5/ssssiz.png/

Probably because Dont Starve doesnt support non ascii text aka symbols/characters that arent in the english language.Example. You wont be able to see the character わ as its a non english character.I assume you need to make a font of the language for Dont Starve?

Actually it's false. We can use any ASCII language right now. We Russians doing well with our translation, we just added characters to fonts and using Windows-1251 encoding. For Polish, I guess 1250 will be fine.I've made font with ciryllic, I can help with other letters, contact me if you bother. I don't use another facetypes, they are the same.

I should open "strings"(blue-marked file) with the POedit, right? Just making sure.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7641[/ATTACH]

Yep, don't worry.

Probably because Dont Starve doesnt support non ascii text aka symbols/characters that arent in the english language.

Example. You wont be able to see the character わ as its a non english character.

I assume you need to make a font of the language for Dont Starve?

I have the same problem. I'm also making polish translation and can't see any progress when opening the game. I'm not using any polish characters or symbols, so it shouldn't be a problem... Please help!

post-60240-13764596709705_thumb.jpg

post-60240-13764596710685_thumb.jpg

EDIT: I've solved it somehow. Thanks all

Edited by Kulka782
Problem Solved

How to testing strings (translation) in the game ?? especially speech characterexample, "Say pal, you don't look so good." or "It smells like beefalo tears." or "It needs more purple gems."because I want to character (Maxwell) say "Say pal, you don't look so good." again , I will be new game every time.p.s. sorry my English

Edited by hackerdew

I have a question. When I try to load the dutch.po file it somehow does not want to open in-game. It does work for the french.po file and it also worked before I updated the french.po file with the strings.pot. Any solutions? Did I accidentely mess up because I started with the french.po file as base? Would love to know.

I have a question. When I try to load the dutch.po file it somehow does not want to open in-game. It does work for the french.po file and it also worked before I updated the french.po file with the strings.pot. Any solutions? Did I accidentely mess up because I started with the french.po file as base? Would love to know.

Try open the .po file with notepad++ and insert "Application: Dont' Starve\n""POT Version: 2.0\n"after the line "X-Generator: Poedit 1.5.7\n"Then again, if you based it off the french translation, that'll probably be there already, so try removing the word "data" from the language.lua file, that was changed in the latest update, I think.Anyway, I have a problem of my own. When updating to the Hunger update, somehow it keeps showing some of the old translations, such as "strange new powers" in the main screen, and "??? staff" and "??? amulet" on the orange amulet and yellow staff. I've changed all of these translations in the .po file, and even had another user (Simplex, he is immensely helpful) send me a diferent .mo file, but it doesn't work. Is this a known issue? What am I doing wrong here?

Hmm, I can't help you out there as I still haven't received the Hunger update (Stand-alone version). Will try that what you mentioned right now :)Edit: The French version did not have that in place and adding those two lines did the trick. Thank you very much <3 I could however not find the word 'data' in the language.lua file, but that may be because I didn't receive the update yet or because we're on different platforms.

Edited by Mumbling

Had a problem with the recent PO Template file in dont_starve/data/scripts/languages/ somehow instead of "#:" there was always a "#." i just replaced all of them and it work ;).

Anyway is there any way to show stuff like ÄÖÜ ?

Edited by Taktloss

Terminé de realizar una traducción al español pero ahora tengo un problema. Seguí exactamente los pasos que se indican en este tutorial pero al terminar el mod, y habilitarlo en la sección de mods del juego, mi traducción simplemente no carga. Traté con otros archivos como el example_french.po y el french.po y funcionaron bien. Sin embargo, con mi archivo spanish. po no funcionó. ¿Alguien tiene una solución? ¿Qué estaré haciendo mal? ¿Por qué otras traducciones funcionan mi traducción no? Incluso intenté nombrando a mi archivo example_french.po y sustituirlo por el que actualmente se llama así en el paquete de samplelanguage pero tampoco funcionó.

¡Hello! Recently, I finished my translation to Spanish mod at 100%, including the Reign of Giants DLC. Now, there's a problem with my translation. When any character examines a rabbit hole or a science machine, the strings in the game is showed in English and not in Spanish. Those strings are already translated in my mod in the .po flie. The rest of strings are showed correctly in Spanish. This image is an example:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280658665

and here is another example, same situation, diferent character:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280660604

This problem did not happen about two months ago. Honestly, I don't know exactly when it does started to happen. I wonder if I have to do something to fix it or if it's a problem that only you can solve. ¿Could you check it, please?.

I put a lot of effort to complete my translation and I feel really bad to see my work is not showing complete. I would be very grateful if you could help me.

Here is my translation:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/files/file/296-traducción-al-español-100-traducido-incluye-dlc-reign-of-giants-100-traducido/

Thank you so much!