Who would be the best for solo?

1 minute ago, microlattice said:

It depends on what you're going for.

If you're goal is to solo all the bosses, I'd recommend wolfgang. If you like utility, pick wickerbottom. If you like challenge, go for wes.

i wanna just try surviving as long as i can

I think wickerbottom is the best character, she can do things that other cant: bee queen farm, birds farm...

Do what you want, my "Wes/Webber against the World" solo was lot of fun! Espacially Webber I never play

and I am a main Wolfgang player, but if you know how to fight, it's just about time and in solo his perk would be less usefull

Everyone is pretty capable of everything, Wes will be harder for a newcomer, but sanity and hunger aren't too hard of mechanics to learn and conquer. Wolfgang uses less resources in boss fights typically. Wicker is notably easy to survive with if you respect how to gain sanity and/or know how to fight nightmares. Wendy when used right can gather massive quantities of food in early game as well as later in the game off of collections of small mobs.

You kind of just pick whatever "seems interesting to you" for whatever reason that it does. Even if you die in DST as long as you made it past early game there are enough methods to revive with solo.

1 minute ago, Cheetos said:

Everyone is pretty capable of everything, Wes will be harder for a newcomer, but sanity and hunger aren't too hard of mechanics to learn and conquer. Wolfgang uses less resources in boss fights typically. Wicker is notably easy to survive with if you respect how to gain sanity and/or know how to fight nightmares. Wendy when used right can gather massive quantities of food in early game as well as later in the game off of collections of small mobs.

You kind of just pick whatever "seems interesting to you" for whatever reason that it does. Even if you die in DST as long as you made it past early game there are enough methods to revive with solo.

Yeah I've been using wendy a lot but shes only good for killing small mob groups like spiders, bees, and so on

Depends more on your strengths/preferences than the character's, imo. Whoever compliments how you play.

Wolfgang's probably the best generalist. Once you learn to manage food, it's easy to keep him at max hunger most of the time, meaning you're constantly speedy for exploring/running between landmarks, and ready to take on anything that gets in your way.
 Wigfrid's good if you want to be less base dependent, or if you just like her ability. Free healing is one heck of a perk when you don't have full supplies. Once you get access to Magic, Bat Bats pair nicely with her (seriously, her healing gets pretty silly at that point), and you can solo a lot of things without nearly as much effort as other characters if you have a few of them. At that point, as long as you don't get swarmed too heavily, she's basically a steamroller.
 Wicker's good if you're more basey, and of course for throwing bosses into the tentacle blender. Probably the best pick if you want to eat the Bee Queen early on.
 Wendy's my personal favorite for endgame shenanigans. Living down near the ruins, you get a lot of gems of all sorts, regular gems literally fall from the sky. Bats and shadow monkeys both show up in large enough numbers that you can swim in their drops with no effort by using Abigail...making some of the strongest equipment in the game common to you, and countering her damage nerf.

Willow and Wilson are better than they get credit for, though. Pretty normal stats, no weird mechanics or damage loss to work around (other than Willow's sanity issues, but her lighter makes shroom cooking mid-travel faster). Easier sanity gain on Willow (stack sanity clothes with her fire perk and it's pretty strong), extra warmth stacking during winter with Wilson's beard meaning longer trips.
So if they seem appealing, don't hesitate to pick one of them, either.

27 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

Do you have trouble with getting lot of food?? 

No   --> Wolfgang

Yes  --> Wickerbottom

Both have sanity drawback tho

Edit: Trouble with sanity and common ennemis?  --> Wendy

I rather have WX all that health and gears all all in one package 

Warly is best so much he's not in the game to OP

I play Woodie because he's the most attractive character. Do you really wanna spend 100 days looking at Wilson's cowlick?

It's different in multiplayer because then you can team up with a Woodie just to look at him. Then you can play whoever.

1 hour ago, Keets said:

Yeah I've been using wendy a lot but shes only good for killing small mob groups like spiders, bees, and so on

That is what she excels at for sure, spiders and splumonkeys are the most notable to bunch up loads of them and AOE down. On the topic of Wendy I think the actual cap of Abigail's capabilities are a bit undervalued and underused personally, people could stand to push her limits more with backups crafted and ready to take her place to finish off the job, a few creative ideas work for chain respawning them. She's also a great asset for the Bee Queen fight, lowering the resources you need in certain strategies since the grumbles are dealt with.

Personally I just spam Wigfrid, no huge reason why. I just like that her helmets and weapons literally fall from the roof in the caves, and the sanity drain of caves is easily negated by Battleborn. Her life leech in a lot of scenarios allowed me to pull off a few fights with just some Jellybeans, it's nice not to have to cook healing foods for some things and just use food for regular hunger needs.

ramble ramble ramble?

1 hour ago, Donke60 said:

I rather have WX all that health and gears all all in one package 

As far as I can tell, OP is not the most experienced player. Getting 15 gears is not easy task for someone that has trouble surviving one year. (Not automatically the case of OP )

Of course Wx-78 is one of the best, but the thread is especially for @Keets. It is not suppose to be another plain "who's tha best?!" thread.

16 minutes ago, csc_unit said:

As far as I can tell, OP is not the most experienced player. Getting 15 gears is not easy task for someone that has trouble surviving one year.

Of course Wx-78 is one of the best, but the thread is especially for @Keets. It is not suppose to be another plain "who's tha best?!" thread.

It's just whom I pick if I wanted to do this also it was more of an answer to

2 hours ago, csc_unit said:

Do you have trouble with getting lot of food?? 

No   --> Wolfgang

Yes  --> Wickerbottom

I think WX would be a better choice if you struggle with food then Wickerbottom 

And we all know I think Warly is the best no exceptions 

How dare you compare me to the common folk

Lots of people saying anyone is a good choice, but that's simply not true. If your goal is to survive as long as possible I would choose between Wolfgang or Wickerbottom. Some other good choices would be WX, Wigfrid, or Maxwell, but all of these characters require some skill level, so if you're a complete beginner I'd avoid them

7 hours ago, microlattice said:

It depends on what you're going for.

If you're goal is to solo all the bosses, I'd recommend wolfgang. If you like utility, pick wickerbottom. If you like challenge, go for wes.

Generally this.  You said your goal is just to survive for a long time - I would say Wickerbottom is a great way to go.  You can easily grow a surplus of grass / twigs / berries early.  Just don't forget to prep for the seasons.

Do you normally live through a full year+?  Or do you have trouble getting through winter / summer?

4 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Generally this.  You said your goal is just to survive for a long time - I would say Wickerbottom is a great way to go.  You can easily grow a surplus of grass / twigs / berries early.  Just don't forget to prep for the seasons.

Do you normally live through a full year+?  Or do you have trouble getting through winter / summer?

My friend bought me the game 3 days ago, and I'm actually really good at it now.  I haven't survived a year or longer. I haven't been in winter yet because I usually reset worlds sometimes but I have this world that is day 16 and I feel pretty good about winter, I'm Wickerbottom and my friend is WX. I'm planning to use my book to get lots of berries before winter

7 hours ago, PillsStealer said:

Any character is best for solo, you'll just have to choose who you like the best!

That's not how this works. Somebody playing Webber will have more trouble than somebody playing Wickerbottom, for example, due to Webber's pig and bunny related downsides.

32 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

That's not how this works. Somebody playing Webber will have more trouble than somebody playing Wickerbottom, for example, due to Webber's pig and bunny related downsides.

Plant 3 t3 dens in the villages and it's an upside. Easy food with Webber isn't just limited to Spider wars.

There are some thing with Pigs and Bunnies you won't be able to do, but there are workarounds.

If you want to live long try Wigfrid, I tried 15 times to complete adventure mode with Wilson and made it with Wigfrid in the first try.

imo it's the easier for beginners. She lives for battle with her damage and her sanity regeneration for kill. The only issue is: she only eats meat.

37 minutes ago, DelroyBM said:

If you want to live long try Wigfrid, I tried 15 times to complete adventure mode with Wilson and made it with Wigfrid in the first try.

imo it's the easier for beginners. She lives for battle with her damage and her sanity regeneration for kill. The only issue is: she only eats meat.

I do think Wigfrid would be a fairly good choice but keep in mind this is for DST and some characters (including Wigfrid) have been changed from DS to DST

4 hours ago, Keets said:

My friend bought me the game 3 days ago, and I'm actually really good at it now.  I haven't survived a year or longer. I haven't been in winter yet because I usually reset worlds sometimes but I have this world that is day 16 and I feel pretty good about winter, I'm Wickerbottom and my friend is WX. I'm planning to use my book to get lots of berries before winter

Yeah if your friend liks WX - then I recommend Wickerbottom 100% now.  Once you guys get further in the game, enough to get science and magic unlocked and live through first winter, you can make the book that summons lightning to force-charge wx, he'll be a high speed lightbulb for days lol.

Anyway - what I would recommend to help you two out: (mind you, you may be doing some of this already)

1 - When you spawn, make backpacks for both of you two, and split up to cover more ground quicker.

2 - Look for Swamp biome, and Desert biome with tumble weed.

3 - Collect all of your seeds, and poops you find and rush for advanced gardens.

- The reason I recommend rushing gardens is that you can get Dragon Fruit.  This is an easy crock pot recipe, just 1 dragon fruit and 3 sticks.  You don't need berries or anything else.  This heals health and hunger both well.  This should help you keep health tip top.  Wickerbottom can use her growth book to speed up the crops which should help you get some dragon fruit supply early.  If you aren't familiar with farms, let me know and I (or another person here) can explain a bit more to you.

- The Swamp Biome is going to give you reeds so you can craft books, and get a bird cage.  The desert biome can give you a chance of gems, gears, and some other miscellaneous items that can be very helpful, in addition to the twigs / grass.  If you camp in the desert you typically don't need grass / twiggs to be planted early, this helps you focus on farms while also netting some gears / gems with luck.  Don't forget to bring those grave digger items to the pig king to cash in the gold nuggets.  Gold axes / pick axes / shoves can help as you expand your base and explore the world.

- If you are camping in the desert during winter you can go to the area the d-fly spawns and put heat rocks next to her magma pool.  there is a good range around them that will keep the rocks hot for you.  You can easily switch to a hot rock quickly if you base near here (how close is up to you, I don't base ON the magma, but it's just out of the screen)  If you want you can even build some extra heat rocks and create a permanent light zone that extends beyond the magma pool.  Fire pits can get you up to about 45 degrees heat, but the magma can go up to 70!  This gives you a much longer span of time away from base before you would worry about your temperature getting low.  Warning - at 70 degrees you will take damage from heat, so when you see the screen change color as a warning, you should step away haha.

Archived