Wes doll and WIPs

Oh god, when was the last time I was even here

Here's a Wes doll I've made since, sewn and felted with felt with a wire armature. Detailed with sharpie ( lines in his makeup etc, really thin stuff )

tumblr_oc81s2owAw1v69tvao1_1280.jpgtumblr_oc81s2owAw1v69tvao2_1280.jpgtumblr_oc81s2owAw1v69tvao9_1280.jpg

More pics here

Currently in progress is a felt Maxwell, a wx-78 out of... some more metallic material ( not pleather  or pvc, it's really not super duper shiny? Just a nice soft metallic bronzeish gold ), a deerclops from a recycled old teddy bear. All of these ones will have sound chips. I intend to make all the implemented characters plus hopefully all giants, as well as other versions of playables and some skin accessories and clothes.

tumblr_odm37hYwOF1vo94u1o1_1280.jpgtumblr_odm37hYwOF1vo94u1o2_1280.jpgtumblr_odm37hYwOF1vo94u1o4_1280.jpg

Still really figuring out Max for the most part, thinking I'm gonna redo his hair with gray and use a sharpie to give him the sketchy DS style. Still giving shape to his face here.

tumblr_oe6pwpf1Lb1v69tvao1_1280.jpgtumblr_oe6pwpf1Lb1v69tvao2_1280.jpg

I know it looks really buldgey right now, it'll look more normal once I've worked on it a bit and stuffed it. The eye is a half a blank plastic ornament I got at Joanns, the nose and teeth are polymer clay. To make the mouth part I used pastel tinted transparent polymer to sculpt gums onto pieces of cardboard, and gave them a coat of liquid latex. The cheeks of the mouth, not pictured here, are latex soaked pieces of felt. The tongue is a makeup wedge sponge cut into shape, tinted with pastel and coated with some silicone- has a really great, really tongue-esque texture. I've been collecting real deer hooves and carving them down to the right size for the feet and I'm also toying with the arms at the moment.

Open to suggestions from any fellow crafters. I'm excited to work on them more when I have the time!

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, minespatch said:

The deerclops is looking great! I'd suggest three or four pipecleaners for the legs with a cloth wrap to get movable limbs. You might have a better idea on what do but I'm looking forward to what you're doing with the deerclops.

Thank you! That's pretty similar to what I've got going on! I'm using armature wire ( stop-motion grade ) and am covering it with kind of a "sock" of a black fabric with a vaguely skin-like texture, that will sew into the "leg holes of the underpants" in the body, and then using latex or silicone I'm going to do a process called "flocking", which is where you take a bunch of fluff you cut from synthetic hair and just stick it on with a tool to look like fur. I will do this with the arms as well, the difference being on the legs the fur will stop at the hooves, but I'll probably have short, thin hair running all the way down the fingers, probably leading to claws I'll cut from semi-translucent false nails.

The legs, true to the game, will be very deer-like, but the arms are coming out marvelously claw-like. It really is an abomination : D

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, minespatch said:

You got a better idea on what to do than what I was suggesting. Sounds close to what special effects companies do. Especially getting the right tools for the job too.

I'm learning stop motion right now : P I'd love to go into puppet and prop/ costume design and construction at a studio like Laika. I love making big things small but still workable! So I'm hoping I can make a portfolio of projects that'll help me get that lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Oh my goodness! That Wes doll is so realistic and cute and I love it and I want it 0-0

Thank you! I actually am going to be keeping this specific one because of some personal reasons but I'll probably start taking commissions on dolls like these pretty soon. I've just got some sculpture commissions I need to finish and send out before I take on any more.

• Like 3

These are adorable! A great style consistency, quality materials, clever design. This polymer clay you are using - FIMO or something different? And pleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE tackle a splumonkey. These buggers will be the death of me and knowing somebody is glomping one till it squeaks no more is oddly satisfying.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MinniBat said:

Thank you! That's pretty similar to what I've got going on! I'm using armature wire ( stop-motion grade ) and am covering it with kind of a "sock" of a black fabric with a vaguely skin-like texture, that will sew into the "leg holes of the underpants" in the body, and then using latex or silicone I'm going to do a process called "flocking", which is where you take a bunch of fluff you cut from synthetic hair and just stick it on with a tool to look like fur. I will do this with the arms as well, the difference being on the legs the fur will stop at the hooves, but I'll probably have short, thin hair running all the way down the fingers, probably leading to claws I'll cut from semi-translucent false nails.

The legs, true to the game, will be very deer-like, but the arms are coming out marvelously claw-like. It really is an abomination : D

I was about to ask if they were posable :p That Wes one is amazing! ^_^

10 hours ago, MinniBat said:

I'll probably start taking commissions on dolls like these pretty soon. I've just got some sculpture commissions I need to finish and send out before I take on any more.

Omg if I had paypal, I'd totally commissions you to make my OCs as posable dolls (if that's what you mean by commissions that is). They're quite the huggable bunch.

Are you gonna do outfits/skins for them or just the main DS characters and their looks?

6 hours ago, Ninjanemo said:

These are amazing 0_0

Can't wait to see you do bearger!

...You are gonna do bearger, right?

Thanks!

And absolutely! I actually just got some old stuffed animals the other day for him. I'll probably go ahead and finish deerclops first, though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

These are adorable! A great style consistency, quality materials, clever design. This polymer clay you are using - FIMO or something different? And pleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE tackle a splumonkey. These buggers will be the death of me and knowing somebody is glomping one till it squeaks no more is oddly satisfying.

Thank you!

I use Sculpey! I've tried Fimo before and had a really hard time even just conditioning it : ? I even just use the kind you can get for $.98 at Walmart. 

I may very well make a monkey at some point! I see people make entire "felt kitchens" for kids and I think its really neat, I'd love to make all kinds of food and stuff from the world!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonMage156 said:

I was about to ask if they were posable :p That Wes one is amazing! ^_^

Omg if I had paypal, I'd totally commissions you to make my OCs as posable dolls (if that's what you mean by commissions that is). They're quite the huggable bunch.

Are you gonna do outfits/skins for them or just the main DS characters and their looks?

Yeah I can do pretty much any character! 

I'm planning on doing Guest of honor and hopefully sometime the survivor and shadow skins as their own dolls, and making skins as items they can change into and out of! 

• Like 3

tumblr_inline_p408rrH3R21u3kfat_500.jpg

hope you enjoyed him while he lasted

So regarding this post. Yes I did take him apart. I'm going to use his original pieces as a pattern with better material and make multiple dolls that are better quality, POSSIBLY with multiple outfits, that I'll sell on etsy.

It might be some time from now, but I'll update here when they're up for sale as well as create a new post with links.

Edited by MinniBat
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, DragonMage156 said:

Same or Maxwell and deerclops?

I personally really liked their original design. I hope their new design looks just as good ^_^

Thank you! I'm glad you think so. They design will be the same, I'm using the exact pieces to create the new ones, just in a better material- the problem with felt is that is can rip rather easily, it shrinks if it's introduced to water with enough pressure ( like if you were to wash it ), and it attracts hair and dust and stuff like CRAZY. I'm going to be making the dolls mainly with minky, so they'll be even softer, I should still be able to felt parts if needed ( I may go ahead and embroider on the faces ), and they'll be very easy to maintain and keep clean.

Deerclops is already made out of pretty nice material so I'm not worried about him, but I certainly DO want to work on him when I have time. He'll be sold singularly, but if there's enough interest I may make more in the future. I do plan on doing more random creatures as one of a kind pieces too.

Maxwell will be a little tricky. I never completed the felt version of him ( though I'll probably just use the same body pattern for all characters ), so I'm still working with it, but with all the arches and crevices his face has it'll be tricky to do his face, since his cheekbones, brows, lips, etc were primarily felted on. I definitely want to make him in better quality but he may take a few prototypes, and since the current voice module brand I'm using is sorta muffly so I'd like to find nicer alternatives for that too.

13 hours ago, DragonMage156 said:

I don't think I ever saw the full completed Deerclops (or Maxwell but I think you said you were gonna redo him at somepoint as well).

Yeah both of them are still in progress as well as a bunch of DS sculpts, I've had a lot of obstacles lately unfortunately so for the past few years I haven't had much time to work on art stuff, but I finally have the time again now : )

• Like 1