VR Not Included (Dupe Simulator)

15 hours ago, Oozinator said:

There are multitools to unpack multiple files at once, it seems, but i have no experience with that stuff.
sharedassets0.assets.resS is big enough.. ^^
Here a *.resS extractor https://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=10739&start=15

I honestly have no idea what i'm doing right now but it doesn't seem to be working

6 hours ago, mf99k said:

I honestly have no idea what i'm doing right now but it doesn't seem to be working

^^
Sorry but i have no free brain capacity to look into, far away from things, i normally do, but interesting stuff.
There are many ways to test..  UABE is looking, like it works. So far i understand, you have to extract the *.assets file not the corresponding *.resS file.

3 hours ago, Oozinator said:

^^
Sorry but i have no free brain capacity to look into, far away from things, i normally do, but interesting stuff.
There are many ways to test..  UABE is looking, like it works. So far i understand, you have to extract the *.assets file not the corresponding *.resS file.

problem is, I don't know what the plugins are that he's using when he opens the plugins menu or where to download them. Know if there's a link to that?

also I get an error that it's missing the database file and can't load the PVR tex lib

dupevrlayout.thumb.png.d49d53bed83e44dd352b639d624f11b8.png

all I really have so far is the layout, models, and HMD since I can't get splines or blueprints to work properly but I think it's coming together well enough

mae is there for scale ref at the moment

you can't really even see it but the texture on the computer screens is rrly good and it animates and like I only used nodes to make it move aah

Quick update, been busy with general life chaos both good and bad but mostly bad:

• found someone who should be able to help me set up the motion controllers so the player has little gloved dupe hands
  • still can't get the sobel edge to outline things by material/geometry
  • still can't get splines to work without glitching and causing lag
  • still trying to set up a blueprint for controller-based strafing movement

My goal for this, even though I probably won't get the simulator to this point in terms of interactivity:

• pressing and holding top triggers to spawn multitool, using XY to switch tools, and lower trigger for using tool
  • supercomputer interactivity
  • desk toy physics that don't glitch
  • functional charge bar for printing pod
  • swapping dupe builds for ai
  • ai that avoids hitting things
  • oxygen???

A normal based edge detection would probably give you the effect you are looking for. I didn't like any of the ones I tried, they tended to make double edges or look muddy. (I've attached one if you want to try it out yourself.)

NormalBasedEdge.uasset

You could also try drawing the black edges you want right onto the texture. I ended up doing that for a project a couple of years ago in addition to the sobel edge detection. I thought it worked out alright but it was kind of tedious.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, ImpactedTooth said:

A normal based edge detection would probably give you the effect you are looking for. I didn't like any of the ones I tried, they tended to make double edges or look muddy. (I've attached one if you want to try it out yourself.)

NormalBasedEdge.uasset

You could also try drawing the black edges you want right onto the texture. I ended up doing that for a project a couple of years ago in addition to the sobel edge detection. I thought it worked out alright but it was kind of tedious.

any idea how to set up the post process outlines to be based on distance? like the same normal and sobel edge but they get thinner the farther away you and other objects are since it seems to be the opposite right now

16 hours ago, mf99k said:

any idea how to set up the post process outlines to be based on distance? like the same normal and sobel edge but they get thinner the farther away you and other objects are since it seems to be the opposite right now

Yes, I played around with it a bit and failed, but then I came upon this thread. I copied the nodes of the second image there and plugged that into where the paramsobelpixels scalar node goes in the sobel edge material. Here are the values I used, but you can play around with the distance scalar, and the line width min and max to try and get an effect you like. On the level I tested this on far away objects didn't have a top outline and just a thin side outline.  Closer objects still have whole outlines but you could see a difference in their line thickness if one is farther away.

FAJt8mM.png

Here is the file with it already set up as above.

SobelEdgeMaterial_PP.uasset

@ImpactedTooth

sorry to keep asking but I seem to still be having some problems getting the edges the way I want.

some of the edges don't show up at all, while some are only visible from certain positions/angles even if they aren't occluded

Untitled-1.thumb.gif.aa0e2359aea9e3f76a6e3dcc3936bb46.gif

edges that aren't visible outlined in red

I messed around with the sobel and normal edge assets but nothing I did seemed to fix the problem

any idea how to make it so that edges are always visible as long as they aren't occluded?

1 hour ago, mf99k said:

@ImpactedTooth

sorry to keep asking but I seem to still be having some problems getting the edges the way I want.

some of the edges don't show up at all, while some are only visible from certain positions/angles even if they aren't occluded

edges that aren't visible outlined in red

I messed around with the sobel and normal edge assets but nothing I did seemed to fix the problem

any idea how to make it so that edges are always visible as long as they aren't occluded?

Do you mind uploading one of those assets so I can try and get the effect you want based on these images? Admittedly, my tests have been on old low poly models and simple geo.

6 hours ago, ImpactedTooth said:

Do you mind uploading one of those assets so I can try and get the effect you want based on these images? Admittedly, my tests have been on old low poly models and simple geo.

so send you the fbx of some of the models?

LaplusEdge.rar

Here is a edge detection method I found on this blog. The instance has values I used to get the edges you wanted on the computerbase in my test scene though you might have to modify Depth_EdgeVal to get the effect you want. A higher value will give you less edges. A problem with this one though is that far away distances were pure black when I got all the edges you wanted to show. That might not be a problem depending on the size of your scene.

Also, you have to set the effect of the post process in your scene to 0.99 or lower for this one. Full effect just makes it entirely black.

If you put edge loops on the edges of the mesh you want to show that could help sharpen them too.

On 12/6/2017 at 12:30 PM, ImpactedTooth said:

LaplusEdge.rar

Here is a edge detection method I found on this blog. The instance has values I used to get the edges you wanted on the computerbase in my test scene though you might have to modify Depth_EdgeVal to get the effect you want. A higher value will give you less edges. A problem with this one though is that far away distances were pure black when I got all the edges you wanted to show. That might not be a problem depending on the size of your scene.

Also, you have to set the effect of the post process in your scene to 0.99 or lower for this one. Full effect just makes it entirely black.

If you put edge loops on the edges of the mesh you want to show that could help sharpen them too.

the laplus edge seems to be missing a material function and everything's completely black unless I put the effect level to 0, in which case nothing happens. Not sure if the material function missing is causing this problem or not but I figured I'd mention it

3 hours ago, mf99k said:

the laplus edge seems to be missing a material function and everything's completely black unless I put the effect level to 0, in which case nothing happens. Not sure if the material function missing is causing this problem or not but I figured I'd mention it

I tried moving the files among my projects and found out all the material function links break. After updating to 4.18.1 and trying that again this one appears to keep everything intact. Sorry about that!

LaplusEdge.rar

Archived