Your opinion on PvP

What do you think of PvP?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Should PvP be changed or left the same?

• PvP is fine as it is.
    • Weapons in PvP need a change.
    • PvP needs a complete overhaul.
    • Other (post below).

I personally don't find PVP very fun unless you count Minecraft Hunger Games, but that's different. My experience from other forms of PVP is that there are always those players who make it their mission to take out the newbies of the server over and over and over again without giving said newbie a chance to actually play and gain experience. 

The combat mechanics of this game weren't really made with PvP in mind, the same goes for characters' abilities. It's just a fun mode to mess around in for a change of pace. If Klei wants to make it more serious and competitive, the amount of changes that need to be made will most likely result in a completely different expansion entirely.

2 minutes ago, Foa said:

The combat mechanics of this game weren't really made with PvP in mind, the same goes for characters' abilities. It's just a fun mode to mess around in for a change of pace. If Klei wants to make it more serious and competitive, the amount of changes that need to be made will most likely result in a completely different expansion entirely.

Sometimes I wish PvP was a little more balanced. Sadly Klei is unlikely to devert development time to rebalancing PvP. 

1 hour ago, MiniKeeper said:

Sometimes I wish PvP was a little more balanced. Sadly Klei is unlikely to devert development time to rebalancing PvP. 

...Cause running away from a murderer isn't a thing, unless said murderer has a ranged weapon.

These are all ideas that I thought of that could maybe Klei an Idea of balancing pvp

PVP needs a complete overhaul. There are 3 things that dictate who wins in a PVP server; Ping, Preparation, and Characters all have a key in how it works.

Characters Characters for PVP - Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, and Wigfrid. If you're familiar with most PVP mechanics, you'd know that these 3 have abilities that are extremely legit, powerful, or unbalanced, making the rest of the characters lack in combat.

Panflute and STS - The Panflute should be universally removed from any PVP servers should the PVP option be turned on for dedicated servers. Also, someone once mentioned on the forums that the rabbit earmuffs could prove as protection from the Panflute and Sleepytime Stories (STS) as it keeps your ears covered while wearing it. 

Ghosts - I think Ghosts should be able to revive themselves, but only 2-3 times as a "Get out of jail" card. Sanity drain should be disabled on PVP categorized servers. Because in PVP, No one will revive you unless you're teamed up with a friend, and the people who ARE alive, will only complain about ghosts and egg them on to leave.

Fleeing - Running is a meager issue, which can be solved with being able to grab people for a quick 5 seconds. Or having stats like hunger or health affect your running speed. 

Combat Logging - And lastly, a very common issue, combat logging. There needs to be some sort of way to stop a player from logging out. Perhaps if a player takes damage after leaving, it could result in a total death if they rejoin.

Thanks for reading!  And PVP changes will be coming in the future after they finish(ed) caves! :D 

3 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

These are all ideas that I thought of that could maybe Klei an Idea of balancing pvp

PVP needs a complete overhaul. There are 3 things that dictate who wins in a PVP server; Ping, Preparation, and Characters all have a key in how it works.

Characters Characters for PVP - Wickerbottom, Wolfgang, and Wigfrid. If you're familiar with most PVP mechanics, you'd know that these 3 have abilities that are extremely legit, powerful, or unbalanced, making the rest of the characters lack in combat.

Panflute and STS - The Panflute should be universally removed from any PVP servers should the PVP option be turned on for dedicated servers. Also, someone once mentioned on the forums that the rabbit earmuffs could prove as protection from the Panflute and Sleepytime Stories (STS) as it keeps your ears covered while wearing it. 

Ghosts - I think Ghosts should be able to revive themselves, but only 2-3 times as a "Get out of jail" card. Sanity drain should be disabled on PVP categorized servers. Because in PVP, No one will revive you unless you're teamed up with a friend, and the people who ARE alive, will only complain about ghosts and egg them on to leave.

Fleeing - Running is a meager issue, which can be solved with being able to grab people for a quick 5 seconds. Or having stats like hunger or health affect your running speed. 

Combat Logging - And lastly, a very common issue, combat logging. There needs to be some sort of way to stop a player from logging out. Perhaps if a player takes damage after leaving, it could result in a total death if they rejoin.

Thanks for reading!  And PVP changes will be coming in the future after they finish(ed) caves! :D 

I agree with everything in this post. I think one thing that should definitely happen is PvP character rebalancing. Here are my ideas:

Wilson: Maybe his beard could offer damage protection? Stage 1 beard is 5%, stage 2 beard is 15% and so on. 

Willow: 100% fire resist. Fire damage dealt to a player as a result of Willow (eg. being hit by a torch) deals 7 damage per second rather than 6. 

Wolfgang: Maybe increasing his sanity drain from 10% to 20%. 

WX-78: Instead of upgrading with gears, everytime he gets a kill he gets an upgrade. 15 kills to fully upgrade. 

Woodie: Increase damage and damage resist while you are a werebeaver. 

Wickerbottom: Not really sure. 

Wigfrid: Make her spawn without her battle helm. This means she needs a little time to start killing things reliably. 

Webber: Not sure. 

One thing that I have not seen been discussed on those PvP topics, is about the client mods.

One person can have much more of a edge against the other with the right mods, PvP should limit what kind of information is sent to the client's computer.

I personally hope pvp in this game won't ever be developed further or improved. Pvp in don't starve is just disgusting, beautiful survival game, that's so amazing to coop and some people want to turn it into some kind of competition between players, it ruins game atmosphere.

If anything they should focus on introducing new enemies and challenges so people won't get bored when cooperating, not pvp.

14 hours ago, SuperPsiPower said:

Also, someone once mentioned on the forums that the rabbit earmuffs could prove as protection from the Panflute and Sleepytime Stories (STS) as it keeps your ears covered while wearing it. 

Does Wickerbottom's book make a sound when she uses it cause otherwise if a dev can't comfirm if it does I don't think earmuffs would protect you from it.

10 hours ago, MiniKeeper said:

Wigfrid: Make her spawn without her battle helm. This means she needs a little time to start killing things reliably. 

She needs her battle helm and spear so she can fight stuff to get meat unless they make it so you don't have to worry about hunger in pvp servers I don't think they'll change this.

WX-78: Instead of upgrading with gears, everytime he gets a kill he gets an upgrade. 15 kills to fully upgrade. 

This is genus it also goes with his personality but might be used for cheap upgrades and not having to waste gears to upgrade him but it would cost a lot of booster shots.

Woodie: Increase damage and damage resist while you are a werebeaver. 

Woodie would be useful again! :D

Edit: If a Wickerbottom uses her sleepy time stories and no one is around...does it make a sound?

3 hours ago, FTR said:

I personally hope pvp in this game won't ever be developed further or improved. Pvp in don't starve is just disgusting, beautiful survival game, that's so amazing to coop and some people want to turn it into some kind of competition between players, it ruins game atmosphere.

If anything they should focus on introducing new enemies and challenges so people won't get bored when cooperating, not pvp.

Different folks different strokes. 

While I agree that PVP could be curbed to better suit actual PVP play style, I think it would take too much change to be balanced. And as somebody who sees DS as a game with much, much greater Co-op potential than PVP potential, I would hate to see DST get all smudged up with PVP specific adjustments and items and such. We've already got the moonstone walls and those barely even do anything. I can understand anybody's desire to play DST specifically for a great PVP experience, but it's similar to the desire for multiplayer of ANY sort in Fallout 3/4; it would require just too many changes, and would ultimately be a different game.

If you're really itching for a game where you have to survive AND fight other people, I'd recommend checking out any of the 1000 online survival games on steam. A lot of them are awful but you'll eventually find a game that has both a good survival mechanic AND combat system.

And sure, ping can be an issue but it's usually a smart move to be aware of your ping at anytime anyways, no matter WHAT game you're playing. If it's bad, don't play on a PVP server. No amount of PVP adjustment is gonna fix your poor connection.

1 hour ago, BigGames said:

I'm too lazy to read that

And I'm too apathetic to care if you read it or not, so don't worry about it ;^)

edit: I already regret my decision to respond to that, I think you've mistaken this topic for a chat/messagebox of some sort. Typically, somebody won't post something unless it, y'know... has any meaning or relevance at all. :^)

19 hours ago, MikeyMusic said:

While I agree that PVP could be curbed to better suit actual PVP play style, I think it would take too much change to be balanced. And as somebody who sees DS as a game with much, much greater Co-op potential than PVP potential, I would hate to see DST get all smudged up with PVP specific adjustments and items and such.

How would giving rabbit ear the ability to prevent pan flute / STS to affect you effect Co-op at all? Small tweaks like these could be made without affecting Co-op. I don't think PVP could ever be completely balanced, how is Wes ever going to be as strong as Wolfgang for example. But that doesn't mean PVP can't be tweaked to better cater to the audience that DOES enjoy it.

Archived