DST Personalities

Here is a list of personalities one can expect to encounter when playing DST:

• The Noob: This guy is a total noob. He usually joins the server and says something along the lines of, "hi everyone, I just got this game!" He asks a lot of basic questions and gets butt-hurt when people tell him to go play singleplayer or read the wiki to learn the game first. He's usually the first to die.
  • The Pro: This guy has survived for over 800 days in singleplayer -- and he doesn't hesitate to bring that up in casual conversation. He has memorized the game to the point where he can play it in his sleep. Indeed, the only reason he is playing multiplayer is so that he can demonstrate his superiority to others.
  • The Troll: This guy sucks at the game, not because he's new like The Noob but because he's just not very smart. So he has decided that ruining other people's game is the best way to have fun. He steals, destroys stuff or burns down bases, and is a general annoyance.
  • The AFK'er: A subspecies of The Troll, this guy joins the server, goes and purposefully dies out in the wilderness, and goes AFK. He then comes back after everyone else has died, and leaves the game.
  • The Self-Appointed Leader: This guy joins the server and immediately starts ordering people around. He calls for establishing a base on day 2 and gets ignored. Then he joins the base that gets build on day 8 and continues to act like he's the boss. When people continue to ignore him, he gets annoyed, and eventually leaves.
  • The Litterer: This guy thinks the campsite is his personal living space and dumps all his unused items on the ground. He thrives in the mess he creates, and gets angry when people take his items and organize them in chests.
  • The Optimist: This guy is the eternal optimist, and believes that the best way to survive is to cooperate with others. He sees the best in people and is very nice to everyone. Even when the base gets destroyed by The Troll on Day 19, he claims that "all is not lost" and begs people to not leave. Usually freezes to death while trying to rebuild by himself.
  • The Casper: This guy is the friendly ghost. He actually feels bad about dying, and tries to still contribute by chasing away night hands and providing light to those who venture away from the firepit. He feels genuinely grateful when he gets rezzed and expresses sincere thanks.
  • The Hermit: This guy joins the server and disappears into the wilderness. He builds his own little humble base in a secluded corner of the map, and is rarely seen by others. When someone finds him, he welcomes them and offers them food, because deep down inside he's actually lonely as hell and appreciates some company.
  • The "Hardcore" PvP'er: This guy is all about PvP. He only plays on PvP servers, and plays in or even organizes tournaments. He's actually pretty bad at PvP, but thinks he's good. The fact is that his victories (all three of them) can be attributed to his low latency and pure luck.
  • The Beggar: This guy joins the game and immediately starts begging for everything without trying to work on their own. Even if you give them some basic starter items (e.g. flints, axe, backpack, some grass and twigs, some food like meatballs) he will still keep begging for 'more' and will follow you around asking for more items.
  • The Leech: This guy sits at base all day doing absolutely nothing other than consuming the stuff that other people bring. He takes items from chests, eats stuff in the fridge, uses up tents and refuses to contribute anything. Unlike the beggar, he won't beg for anything. He will just take it.
  • The Wallflower: This guy follows you around all day like a stalker, hoping that you will look after him and lead him to camp. He doesn't say much, and might occasionally try to yoink some of the items you're collecting.
  • The Coward: This guy keeps runs in circles around the camp. If your sanity is a bit low, you can see that he's actually running away from a horde of shadow creatures, including terrorbeak. He may occasionally type "help" and hope that someone gets them off his back. He eventually dies.
  • The Nomad: This guy doesn't have a base, and spends most of his time roaming the map as a hunter-gatherer. He may occasionally stop by a camp to use the crockpot and alchemy engine, but will not stay long. Because of their shared preference to be away from crowds, The Hermit and The Nomad tend to get along well.

Share more and I'll add them to the list!

I see myself as the Optimistic Follower. I would probably work well with "The Self Appointed Leader" (as long as he isn't too bossy) Could imagine if some personality traits were combined. The Noob Self Appointed Leader wouldn't be too good for a team.

what about the kinda pro nice guy who likes to cooperate? Or are there just destructive personalities?

The "Hardcore" PvP'er: This guy is all about PvP. He only plays on PvP servers, and plays in or even organizes tournaments.
 untill this point this is pretty much a Flare recipe.

Is the last one referring to me, The "Hardcore" PvP'er? O.o I feel like this is referring to someone

Well, it doesn't say "he sucks at PvP, so he joins PvE servers as Wickerbottom and griefs people with his lightning books."

:)

Good job, this is pretty accurate. I'm clearly an hermit. I've met maybe 3 to 4 leaders, they're hilarious. I think you could add "the follower", someone who will follow you without saying a word for days, thinking you will eventually lead him to a camp. Seriously, I loathe these guys, I always go to great lengths to lose them, I'm sure I'd be ready to switch off my torches and take hits from Charlie (because of course they have no torches) if only they could die.

I'd also like to contribute to this thread in a slight off-topic way by passing a text about DST personnalities according to which players someone chooses. I found it to be pretty accurate too, even if it has some flaws. It comes from reddit.

Wilson: This is either a complete newbie who doesn't even know how to select other characters, an inexperienced player who has developed a healthy fear of winter, or an old school Don't Starve veteran who doesn't have patience for those new-fangled characters.

Willow: Probably a dirty griefer. Insta-ban. /s

Wolfgang: I assume this is an advanced player who knows how to use the beast that is Wolfgang effectively.

Wendy: I assume the player to be intermediate. Knows enough about the game to be aware of Abigail, but probably is terrible at fighting.

WX-78: There's a 99% chance that this player is an ultra-noob. Whenever I see a WX spawn in a server, I smack my forehead and laugh.

Wickerbottom: I assume the player to be advanced. Either they are part of a cohesive group, or they are looking to do some longterm base-building.

Wigfrid: High likelihood to be intermediate with a good dose of advanced players sprinkled in on PvP servers. Most likely doesn't know how to fight or PvP, and will just tank everything.

Webber: Don't have any strong feelings about Webbers. They usually do their own thing off in their spider kingdoms.

Wes: Either a top-tier player, or an intermediate trying to emulate a top-tier player.

What would you categorize people who stay at base and "organize" (AKA do nothing) to make the base more "efficient".

I always get people like these who just make the base stay pretty while doing absolutely nothing that can help us make the base thrive and expand. Thats it, they never leave base.

No, making the base prettier is not being efficient. Anyone can do that, it's just that we're too goddamn busy doing things to get prepared for the frog rain/winter/summer/natural disasters/giants to care much for it.

/rant

lazy base camper - stays in base all day cooking food from fridge, wasting fuel, or just harvesting stuff nearby. Never ventures far and always say "i need stone/stick/grass/etc" expecting other people to get it for him.

I guess, I'm...

hmm...

Casper and Hermit... Kermit!!

I don't wanna say I'm a pro... I can fish for one :3 but it's shameless

I rarely go full "Leader" though... but I pull my own wight...

Then I also go all &^$%^&^$ LAG DISCONNECTED MOFO IMMA CUT YOU DEERCLOPS!!

I guess I fall under The Optimist and The Casper. But if I were to describe myself, I would be "The Temporary Helper".

Because I can only play the game for a short time between my break from work/family, so when I play I try to be as helpful as possible with no regard for my own well being. (I won't be able to come back and play until tomorrow, which the server usually resetted anyway, so it doesn't matter if I died/left all my items for others.)

I could only play for 1-2 hours in real life, which is about 10-15 days in the game. So I would join the server, play as Wickerbottom, and focus on making useful structures (like Bird Cage, Farms, Crockpot, Drying Racks, ect. I won't make Alchemy Engine because other people usually already made one.) then go find other people's base and place these structures there. After that, I just help them with my book until it run out and/or I have to go. Then I will just drop all my items for them and log out.

Or if I was alone in the server then I just build my base in a generally useful area (near beefalo/pig village/frog pond) then invite other people to my base when they join the server. If they want to burn/wreck my stuffs then it's up to them, I won't be playing long anyway.

There's one type of player that annoys me, though. "The Beggar" (or "The Leech"). This type of player would just join the game and beg for everything without trying to work on their own. Even if you give them some basic starter items (e.g. flints, axe, pickaxe, backpack, some grass and twigs, some food like meatballs) they will still keep begging for 'more' and will follow you around asking for more items (and when asking what specific item do they want, they will usually reply with 'anything/everything' or just repeat 'more').

And if they ever reach your camp, they will take all your stuff that they can pick up but stay there FOREVER without doing anything. (That's what make them difference from the other kind of griefer/troll, because they take your stuff but never leave your base to go build their own base or go wreck/burn other people's base.) And if they die they will stay as a ghost forever, not AFK because they will keep typing/begging for help but never leave the server, until someone revive them or ignore them long enough (from my experience, it usually take at least 30 minutes in real life for them to give up and log out.) If they leave the server, they will take all of their (yours) items with them.

I do love to help other players, but I just feel annoyed by players who won't make any effort to play the game at all. I still help them, though, so maybe I was wrong too (for encouraging their behavior). 

I guess if I fall under any of those categories it would be a mix between The Hermit and The Optimist.

I usually try to help others from time to time when I visit "the main base" or simply stick around and help out, but I always tend to build my own base away from anyone else just in case if things go for the worse (and that tends to happen most of the time on public servers) and then someone burns down the camp or something, but usually have a fall back on when that happens.

Also, I'm seen a few DST players who play The Nomad lifestyle and usually survive off small temporary camps and constant hunting and gathering, and they also tend to play solo. These types of players are not common though, at least on PvE servers. 

The Coward: This guy keeps runs in circles around the camp. If your sanity is a bit low, you can see that he's actually running away from a horde of shadow creatures, including terrorbeak. He may occasionally type "help" and hope that someone gets them off his back. He eventually dies.
I'll atest to having been one of those multiple times. It was not a pleasurable experience. 

I'll atest to having been one of those multiple times. It was not a pleasurable experience. 

It's true. Especially when there's ghosts draining everyone's sanity in the server. Really not fun at all.

If I saw someone low on sanity running around, I will (force) feed or drop them cooked green caps and/or taffy if possible.

Unless you are Wigfrid.

And if you are Wigfrid with both Battle Spear and Battle Helm and still running around from the shadow monster, not fighting back, then.....

Maybe it was time for the Valkyrie to go back to Valhalla.

The Wiki - This guy knows the ins and outs of every single detail/item/creature/event/etc. in game and can provide a very detailed list of information about anything in the game. Forgot how long before McTusk respawns? Don't worry, this guy'll tell you exactly when that is. Need to remember how many pieces of rocks you need to build an Alchemy Machine? Bam, he'll answer even before you finish your question. He can also list down what kind of meals you can make upon seeing all the available ingredients your ice box has. With this guy around, you'll never have to alt-tab ever again!

I could add more examples about this guy, but you get the gist. lol

I wouldn't say I'm 'pro' but I don't die much and I think I know my way around the game. Then again, I really only play private games for the most part so I can't say much about how I'd fare in a public game. 

Wilson: This is either a complete newbie who doesn't even know how to select other characters, an inexperienced player who has developed a healthy fear of winter, or an old school Don't Starve veteran who doesn't have patience for those new-fangled characters.

I play quite a bit of Wilson but only because he's my favorite character. No gimmicks. Really though Wickerbottom is much better for more experienced players.

I do wish he had something to make him stand out a bit more though. Meat effigies are easy to make for him but they're not very useful- and if I'm not mistaken you cant even make them in Wilderness at all. 

Archived