Reign of Giants public test: March 31st Update

• Developer

March 31st Update - 132233

Hey guys, today we are mainly focusing on performance and stability issues, but we still want to keep hearing about gameplay bugs!

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Player spawn light will now provide heat in winter and cooling in summer
  • Reduced network data size for waterproof entities and entities with heat
  • Fixed an issue where dedicated servers may become unjoinable after running for long periods

Original Post:

Hi everybody! As you know we've been hard at work on integrating Reign of Giants into Don't Starve Together, and we're just about ready to launch it! The main challenge at this point is that RoG is a whole lotta game and we need your help testing it to make sure we didn't break things as we converted it over to multiplayer.

It's not quite ready for prime-time yet, but if you want to hop in to our testing branch, we'd really appreciate letting us know if anything is crashing, broken, or missing.

Instructions for getting the RoG test version:
  • You must already own Don't Starve Together. (Reign of Giants not required.)
  • The game must not be running.
  • In your Steam client right click on Don’t Starve Together Beta and select “Properties”
  • Select the “Betas” tab
  • Enter the code “rogtogetherbeta” in the text box and press the “Check Code” button. You should see a confirmation message that the RoG_Together_Beta is now available.
  • In the drop-down under menu select to opt into RoG_Together_Beta. You should see a message that you have successfully opted into the RoG_Together_Beta. Press “Close”.

post-202401-0-18353700-1426617529_thumb.
post-202401-0-23299900-1426617532_thumb.
post-202401-0-81487300-1426617534_thumb.

WARNING!
This uses the same save slots as the normal game but the saves aren't compatible. Make sure you create a new save file for your RoG test as the save files won't transfer back to the normal game.
WARNING!

Please keep all bug reports and related conversation in this thread so that all the feedback related to this special testing branch is in one place. Thank you!

Current known issues:
  • Bearger, Dragonfly, and Goosemoose (Moosegoose?) are still missing, they'll show up sometime soon though!
  • Moggles are missing due to technical challenges with night vision.

Major changes from single-player Reign of Giants to be aware of:

• Fire spreading has been rebuilt to be slower/preventable but still threatening.
  • Deerclops shows up all winter long to harass everyone's bases.
  • Heat stones have been reworked to more clearly display if they'll help you or not. The graphics change to show if the stone is warmer or colder than the current ambient temperature.
  • Updated smallbird lifecycle so they can grow up in the wild.
  • Crafting menu has been altered to be more dynamic, so scroll arrows only show when needed. Mouse wheel also works on it!
  • Full moon has been retuned to 1 night every 22 days, starting on the 11th day.
  • Flingomatic "off" modes has been turned into "emergency" mode.
  • The Old Bell and Bigfood are absent from multiplayer due to their extreme destructive potential.
  • There are also many small changes and fixes, but keep your eyes peeled for anything weird!
  • We will be continuing to address balance and tuning issues for multiplayer, so your feedback is appreciated!

Thanks for your help, everyone! We're excited to get RoG out to you!

Don't forget to post your feedback in this thread. The test branch is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Dedicated server instructions:

If you are running your server through the steam interface: Simply go through the above process with the Don't Starve Together Dedicated Server in the tools list to join the rog_together_beta branch and launch the server.

If you are running from the command line using steamcmd:
Launch steamcmd and run:

app_update 343050 -beta rog_together_beta -betapassword rogtogetherbeta validate 

Further information can be found at: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD
Thanks @Kzisor!

March 31st Update - 132233

Here's what we fixed in today's update:

• Player spawn light will now provide heat in winter and cooling in summer

Excellent idea and implementation.  Was frustrating to spawn into a game already in winter/summer and start freezing/overheating within one minute. 

Was frustrating to spawn into a game already in winter/summer and start freezing/overheating within one minute. 

The wisp has been supplying heat for a very long time now. Since pre-RoG test, in fact. You shouldn't have been freezing while by it.

The wisp has been supplying heat for a very long time now. Since pre-RoG test, in fact. You shouldn't have been freezing while by it.

Well maybe it was just over-heating for sure then.  I usually try to avoid spawning in harsh seasons so never payed attention I guess

Im not sure if this is a bug, but if I die as Wendy and Abigail is spawned she often won't be "attached' to me when I'm revived. She won't follow me, attack when I've been hit, etc.

I noticed this too. I had to 'dismiss' (kill) her for her to reattach to me.

Im not sure if this is a bug, but if I die as Wendy and Abigail is spawned she often won't be "attached' to me when I'm revived. She won't follow me, attack when I've been hit, etc.

I'm not sure you're experiencing what I have, but I think it's an unintended result. I've noticed as a player in a couple games that anyone can summon Abigail as long as they have held Abigail's flower most recently, and she will be attached to them. If that person dies to summon her, however, Abigail is attached to no one and she must be killed/unsummoned to fix it.

• Developer

This is definitely a bug, will have it fixed in our next update!

Follow-up:  I have not been able to reproduce this myself.  Please let me know if anyone who experiences this has more details.

In the summer, the spawn light can freeze the player if they are also near an endothermic fire or have a cold thermal stone.

You can be overheated too with similar mechanics. Maybe it's not a bug I guess.

Anyone else get pulled along by tumbleweeds? It happened twice that I tried harvesting tumbleweeds and got pulled along for the trip.

experienced also this issue

another thing was, that a deerclops arrives on the very 2nd or 3rd day of winter, without i heard the sound or big breathing. Also my character didn't say anything. The character I played was Wigfrid. And maybe it is a little bit too hard spawning deerclops on every base, especially they are also destroying wild pig-houses

EDIT: the 2nd point can also be my own mistake. I will take care of this next time. Saw just one Deerclops yet.

Anyone else get pulled along by tumbleweeds? It happened twice that I tried harvesting tumbleweeds and got pulled along for the trip.

Yeah it's pretty funny.  A decent way to escape danger too if you actually come across one.  I think its the way they are scripted to keep moving at full speed until they hit a boundary.  If you try to search while chasing it, this seem to occur.  If you get in front of it and search, it should stop.

Yeah it's pretty funny.  A decent way to escape danger too if you actually come across one.  I think its the way they are scripted to keep moving at full speed until they hit a boundary.  If you try to search while chasing it, this seem to occur.  If you get in front of it and search, it should stop.

I got dragged -into- danger by one (close to a Clockwork Bishop). Funny anyway. :  )

What do you mean by search?

(Unrelated: Is there any way to turn off something turning my perfectly normal smileys here into those icons?)

wisecracker.lua error

[18:23:42]: [string "scripts/components/wisecracker.lua"]:114: attempt to index local 'data' (a nil value)LUA ERROR stack traceback:scripts/components/wisecracker.lua:114 in (local) fn (Lua) <113-119>   inst = 146468 - charlie (valid:true)   data = nilscripts/entityscript.lua:930 in (method) PushEvent (Lua) <924-947>   self (valid:true) =      GUID = 146468      inlimbo = false      ghostenabled = true      SetCameraDistance = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1005      ScreenFlash = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1059      EnableMovementPrediction = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:377      worldstatewatching = table: 27FF22B0      playercolour = table: 275DC888      replica = table: 27D4AE50      IsOverheating = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:67      Light = Light (25E6A820)      DynamicShadow = DynamicShadow (25E5FE00)      Network = Network (25E66F80)      ShowActions = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:993      OnRemoveEntity = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:500      userid = OU_76561198008503828      pendingtasks = table: 27D418F0      ShowHUD = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:999      player_classified = 146469 - player_classified (valid:true)      inherentactions = table: 27E0F0C8      IsHUDVisible = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:989      children = table: 27E74790      name = BabyBri      SetGhostMode = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:416      SnapCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1011      AnimState = AnimState (25E64A80)      OnWakeUp = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:922      Transform = Transform (25E6A2A0)      sg = sg="wilson", state="run", time=0.50, tags = "moving,running,canrotate,autopredict,"      OnSetSkin = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:967      actionreplica = table: 27D44050      event_listening = table: 25894AD8      ScreenFade = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1052      actioncomponents = table: 27D3F528      event_listeners = table: 27D4B4E0      LightWatcher = LightWatcher (25E62BA0)      OnLoad = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:872      spawntime = 5633.066960454      entity = Entity (284102A8)      OnSave = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:863      prefab = charlie      updatecomponents = table: 26BDB160      CanExamine = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:20      AttachClassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:489      OnDespawn = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:940      Physics = Physics (25E68240)      IsActionsVisible = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:983      MiniMapEntity = MiniMapEntity (25E5E400)      SoundEmitter = SoundEmitter (25E5E440)      OnSleepIn = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:894      ShakeCamera = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:1019      persists = false      soundsname = willow      IsFreezing = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:57      DetachClassified = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:495      components = table: 27D3F8C0      GetTemperature = function - scripts/prefabs/player_common.lua:47   event = huntlosttrail   data = nil   listeners = table: 27E0C9E0   entity = 146468 - charlie (valid:true)   fns = table: 27E0B298   i = 1   fn = function - scripts/components/wisecracker.lua:113../mods/workshop-409858663/scripts/components/specialhunter.lua:266 in (upvalue) ResetSpecialHunt (Lua) <262-270>   specialhunt = table: 265A0110../mods/workshop-409858663/scripts/components/specialhunter.lua:295 in (upvalue) OnUpdateSpecialHunt (Lua) <273-335>   specialhunt = table: 265A0110   playerIsInOtherSpecialHunt = false../mods/workshop-409858663/scripts/components/specialhunter.lua:84 in (field) fn (Lua) <84-84>scripts/scheduler.lua:187 in (method) OnTick (Lua) <161-217>   self =      running = table: 056DA330      waitingfortick = table: 056DA2B8      tasks = table: 056DA308      waking = table: 26[18:23:42]: SCRIPT ERROR! Showing error screen	 

@Kzisor, Looks like that error is coming from a mod, which isn't passing data with the "huntlosttrail" event (which in RoG gives a different message if the track was washed away by Spring rain).

It looks like they copied the hunter component, which probably changed a bit between vanilla and RoG.

Not sure if its a bug or not but Glommer's Statue didn't dropped the Old Bell Blueprint and also discovered a Thulecite Blueprint that didn't do anything.

Old Bell has been dropped from DST altogether. You will not find the item or blueprint.

Archived