DST Beta Update (Phase 2) - October 31st

Hey Everybody.

Today, we reveal our first Update for Don't Starve Together, entitled "...In With the New".

This first update is the result of our current schedule that we will be following with Don't Starve Together. We have also decided to continue our current hotfix schedule going forward as well.

So you will still see small updates every few days, but about every 4 weeks, you will see see larger updates that include more content and other general fun stuff.

Phase 2 has been going really well. We have learned a great deal from everybody testing and helping us out. @Seth will get into the details of the game side of beta later, but for now I will give you a bit more information about the beta itself.

So far, we have handed out keys to about 10% of the people who have signed up for beta previously.

We have a couple more things we want to clean up before we can increase the rate that we are allowing people in. Once we get in server rollbacks and friend whitelists; we will be increasing that number quite a bit.

We have seen issues with players playing on less than optimal servers frustrated with their experience. We will be making some changes that will people to have a better sense of the server conditions that they are playing on, so we can help them find better games to play.

Coming soon, we are going to discontinue giving additional keys when sending invites to beta registrants. We are doing this for a couple reasons, but mostly, this helps us reach more people who registered for the beta. Effectively we will be able to get in twice as many people per day who signed up as we could before, and without everybody getting extra keys, we don't have so many unused keys floating around.

This means more people playing.

We have a lot more people who want to play this earlier version of Don't Starve Together than we anticipated. We filled up our beta registration in a weekend, and we still have a lot of people anxious to play as soon as possible.

Our first priority is getting through the original 80k beta registrations, and after that we have some ideas about how we will start letting in more people; and we will let you all know what we have planned as soon as it's set in stone.

So. We really want to add some things to help players protect the games that they host before we let in a lot more people, but for now, we are giving away 400-500 keys a day and we will likely be doubling that number once we get these details ironed out.

Once we get through our beta registrations we will move to phase 3 where we can add even more players. But until then, we will be working hard toward more content, fixing more bugs and gathering your feedback!

Great to hear this. Thanks for the info, I like to hear you over at Klei care about are feedback (unlike some other companies) you really stand as a community oriented company that still cares about community and for that earns lots of money to keep it all going.

Klei is one of the most outstanding game developer companies I've ever seen (and no, I'm not saying that because I'm sucking up to them, I'm saying that because they show more care for community than Mojang. Nelson Sexton, the guy who made Unturned is like this too, he's a one man band who still is in school but tries and is like Klei over here.)

So we will only get 1 key per registration? I understand why, but I kinda didn't want to play this with randoms so I would've liked one extra. Provided I get in at all, lol.

It's nice to see emotes in. I'm hoping to see this one from the Kickstarter page, personally.

38638c6dcefe66b529f87d313531ca9f_large.g

how to get a key?

You had to sign up for the beta registration to get a key.

Klei gives 400-500 per. day

They're doubling that number.

Plus, you could check the key depot to get a key right now.

Also, whatever you do, don't wine about missing the beta registration over there, it'll get you nowhere.

Archived