DST Beta Update (Phase 2) - October 31st

@ASimpleSardine @acemurdock If you enable him in his current unpublished form, he works just like the other characters in terms of chat, except that instead of making instrument noises, he mimes when chat appears over his head. So he's become a telepathic mime, I guess. It seems kind of unreasonable to have it otherwise (such as not letting Wes players type stuff in chat at all), as playing Wes is enough of a handicap already.

It seems kind of unreasonable to have it otherwise (such as not letting Wes players type stuff in chat at all), as playing Wes is enough of a handicap already.

Hey man, mime's a mime! I consider him hardcore mode! Besides, players can talk using things like steam anyway if they need to. It just would be interesting to have him stay that much in character. 

@acemurdock If you want him to stay in character you can certainly play him that way. But when you're making gameplay-impacting design decisions like whether a given character can communicate in-game with other players, I think it's important to consider how various groups of player will be approaching it. A brief example:

Hardcore lore-strict Wes players want the most immersion and difficulty possible. If Wes can talk, a little immersion is broken if they chose to chat or if other Wes players do, but they can maintain the voluntary challenge for themselves by just not talking.

A less-hardcore player might just want to play Wes for the numerical challenge of playing him, or because his mimes are awesome and he looks cool. Weaker, less sane, more hungry, more frail. To this type of player not having Wes be able to speak is a pretty huge handicap. It prevents their ability to play effectively with other players. You might argue that they can resort to steam chat or whatever, but that doesn't work well if you're just joining random games.

So, ignoring the relative quantities of each group (although I would guess that the second group is larger), you have a choice between severely crippling the character for one group or slightly breaking immersion for the other. Which to be seems like an easy decision: let him chat.

Which to be seems like an easy decision: let him chat.

Well I didn't say I preferred it that way, I just thought that was what they decided, and hardcore mode was the reason, basically! I was sure there was something that mentioned he couldn't talk, and that's why we were all talking about the possibility of emotes. But I can't find the original source so I could very well be mistaken!

Interesting.. At what year phones are allowed? I just want to find out when my year 2 son will start asking for his own phone!!!

I'm around Year 9, however it may be earlier when your son grows up! Technology and the Curriciculum are becoming more and more intertwined and the amount of stuff we must know is decreasing as we have the easiest and the best information source the world has ever seen right in our pockets. 

@acemurdock

So, ignoring the relative quantities of each group (although I would guess that the second group is larger), you have a choice between severely crippling the character for one group or slightly breaking immersion for the other. Which to be seems like an easy decision: let him chat.

I Think it would be important to have him be telepathic at least, Wes already seems unplayable compared with other characters (expect in hardcore challenge esq things) but making it so he could not speak would make him even more so undesirable.

I applied on one of the first few days of the applications being out, like I know the Beta Keys been going out at random, but I feel rejected. I know how these processes work and all but despite all that I'm slightly disappointed. Rather than most selling just selling their keys I would give them to my friends to truly test the framework and features DST Beta has to offer. And on top of that no more multiple keys? I understand the premise of getting more keys to the actual applicants, but around 5-6 of my friends have all applied and none of us have received a key, so i'll have to wait longer before I can enjoy the game with them. Yeah I know I'm complaining, Yes I should have more patience, but I just slightly feel cheated.

I applied on one of the first few days of the applications being out, like I know the Beta Keys been going out at random, but I feel rejected. I know how these processes work and all but despite all that I'm slightly disappointed. Rather than most selling just selling their keys I would give them to my friends to truly test the framework and features DST Beta has to offer. And on top of that no more multiple keys? I understand the premise of getting more keys to the actual applicants, but around 5-6 of my friends have all applied and none of us have received a key, so i'll have to wait longer before I can enjoy the game with them. Yeah I know I'm complaining, Yes I should have more patience, but I just slightly feel cheated.

Well, the process is that they have a clipboard of all the people who applied. They then choose a name by closing their eyes and putting their finger on a random name. They then send the keys to the email of the applicant.

Jk I don't know how they system works.

LOL

I mean, most betas you'll sign up and have a chance at getting in. This time you've got a guarantee. I can't even count the number of betas I've signed up for and not gotten in at all... So feeling cheated is pretty unreasonable.

The reason they're dropping multiple keys is so that they can get to everyone who signed up faster. If they kept up the multi-key invitations, then when you get in would be even more of a game of chance.

I don't think most people are selling their keys. Most keys get grabbed up pretty fast, because most people know at least one other person who wants to play.

If you want a key, my advice is putting something up for trade in the key depot, lots of people will give you advice...

Pyromailmann 

I wanted to send you a private message but i didn't find the way to do it.

Could you explain me how (if it's still possible) how to get a key for the beta. I didn't understood the way it's suppose to be done. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If you want a key, my advice is putting something up for trade in the key depot, lots of people will give you advice...

Pyromailmann 

Could you explain me how (if it's still possible) how to get a key for the beta. I didn't understood the way it's suppose to be done. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Pyromailmann 

Go to my profile and look for something saying "Send me a message" click that. And no, I won't give you a key, I don't have one. You can go to they Key Depot and since 400-500 keys are given out per. day, going to be 800-1000 keys. I can't give you advice since I got my key early.

i have pay for this game, i cant good english, im german i dont understand were i can get a key. it dont exist a german forum

i dont want a key wehn the releas date come i cant wait for nothing

google says donts starve toghter comes out in summer 14????? its atumn!!!!

Are we in the phase where all of the applicants can play yet? Considering this isn't in general discussion anymore...

Phase 2. They've let about 10% of all applicants in i think. And we wont be moving on to phase 3 before everyone got theirs.

Archived