True LAN Coop - Proposition

Crynux

I think that each boss should gain a new attack to help them deal with the other player:

-Baby Guardians pop out of the ground in a large radius near the Ancient Guardian. They have strong damage and are fast, but their HP is lacking. The Baby Guardians will always focus fire on one player and try to "tie em' up" so that the first player has to fight the Guardian alone.

-Spider Queens are fine as they are due to their spider backup.

-Treeguards will be able to shoot an explosive forest spirit. It travels slowly, but the Treeguard can shoot it while moving. It only does this occasionally, and can do it while attacking.

-Deerclops and other Seasonal Giants are fine for now, IIRC all of them have an AoE attack and the Goomse has its Mosling backup.

-Hallucinations - I know they aren't a boss but I came up with a great idea for them. So, there would be multiple Hallucination types - For the sake of simplicity, let's say black and red. Black hallucinations only attack or be attacked by the first player and only appear when P1 has low sanity. Red ones are the same, but for P2. That way, having all the sanity between the different characters wouldn't be weird, and also allows the Hallucinations to not become weak (After all, they aren't really meant to be fought by more than one person). Perhaps the color of the hallucinations and maybe parts of their appearance could be dependant on the character.

We aren't planning on synchronizing hallucinations, as they are a player-specific thing. If I were insane, you couldn't see my hallucinations. It will still be possible for people to get nightmare fuel for killing them, but only the player who killed the hallucination will see the drop.

As for balancing, we don't plan on changing the attacks of mobs, but we may spawn them more frequently, or based on different conditions. We want to stay close to the base gameplay, yet increase the difficulty ever so slightly, so it is still somewhat of a challenge in multiplayer.

Only four characters in the end? Then let's say, for the hallucination colors:

P1 = Black

P2 = Light red

P3 = Purple

P4 = Dark red

I'd still support being able to have all of the characters in the game at once though. It'd totally revolutionize the whole RP forums if they could get all the RPers playing at once.

We're not 100% sure on which characters we might drop from the mod. Maxwell has an issue at the moment, and as for the rest, it depends on how difficult it will be to synchronize their abilities. We may end up disabling some abilities, just providing the base character and independent stats (health/hunger/sanity).

If you installed a mod such as a player mod, you could use it with this as long as all player had it right?

Technically, yes.

As for resources, the map we will be providing will have all of the trees/bushes and alike maxed in the custom options. This should provide enough resources for the players. Additionally, we will likely customize the rate at which stuff regrows/respawns. Mob spawns and the like will eventually be 100% server controlled (I hope), for now they just spawn if they existed in the savegame, and stand there.

Thanks to all!

-Crynux

I didn't know that unsynched entities were possible in the game's engine. Well that's pretty cool, to see your friend getting his ass beat by something randomly as he swats in the air. Good thing you have a stack of raw green mushrooms to jump into insanity-world and help him out.

I didn't know that unsynched entities were possible in the game's engine. Well that's pretty cool, to see your friend getting his ass beat by something randomly as he swats in the air. Good thing you have a stack of raw green mushrooms to jump into insanity-world and help him out.

Well technically, without the multiplayer mod, nothing is synced ;). And if you were to eat a ton of mushrooms, you'd see your own hallucinations, separate from the other player. So if someone goes insane, you can't help them (besides dropping some items that they can pick up and use in order to regain sanity).

So we will have to use specific maps?

Yes, a map will be given with the mod at Beta. It would be really difficult, if not impossible, to create a map server-side. Everyone has to have the same map, and the only way to do that at the moment is to have every player use the same savegame file.

I haven't looked into modifying the world once spawned; that is, modifying the shape of the ground. I'm not even sure it's possible.(EDIT: If anyone knows if it's possible, let me know. As far as I know the map generation code isn't in Lua (but built into the binary), however I might be wrong.)

-Crynux

Just found this. Can't say I subscribe up to the idea of DS Multiplayer at all (in fact I'm quite opposed), but I can't begrudge the work you've put into this, and I'm sure you'll please a great many with this. This is probably one of the greatest mod projects undertaken on DS, and I can only wish you all the best.

I'm gonna love the "no one can help you" feel when your insane :J.  However my friend who is new and not the best at the game will not.

So what characters would have to be cut? I mean the only ones that come to mind is Wickerbottom for the mass amount of birds she spawns. Maybe Wx because is upgrade system. As for maxwell couldn't you just make his helper client-side? I wouldn't mind Maxwell being cut as I don't use him, but all the others I would love to be in the game.

Just a side not, Woodie's axe (Lucy) should only talk to him. Another client-side thing.

A map? Why do we need a different type of map?

Not a different type... everyone who wants to play on the same server, needs to have the same world. The only way to do this that I know of at the moment is to distribute a savegame with the mod.

I think this could be big. I wish you guys luck sadly I dont know coding and cant help but I look foward to it ^.^

Thank you for the support!

Just found this. Can't say I subscribe up to the idea of DS Multiplayer at all (in fact I'm quite opposed), but I can't begrudge the work you've put into this, and I'm sure you'll please a great many with this. This is probably one of the greatest mod projects undertaken on DS, and I can only wish you all the best.

Thank you for the complements!

I'm gonna love the "no one can help you" feel when your insane :J.  However my friend who is new and not the best at the game will not.

So what characters would have to be cut? I mean the only ones that come to mind is Wickerbottom for the mass amount of birds she spawns. Maybe Wx because is upgrade system. As for maxwell couldn't you just make his helper client-side? I wouldn't mind Maxwell being cut as I don't use him, but all the others I would love to be in the game.

Just a side not, Woodie's axe (Lucy) should only talk to him. Another client-side thing.

To be honest, I haven't played Wickerbottom, but if anything, we can just disable her books and allow her to be played as normal. Wx's upgrade system is more or less client side... he'd just have an adjustable max health.

As for Maxwell, there's an issue with synchronizing him at the moment, if a player connects to the server as him, the other player only sees his shadow. I assume there's a bug with the code for synchronizing him, but I haven't looked into it yet.

For Lucy, we're not doing any specific synchronization yet, but it would definitely make sense to do as you said.

-Crynux

I'm still in awe that this is being done. Ever since the release all we have seen is spammed  :nomultipl:  :nomultipl:  :nomultipl:

Now here you are like "F*ck the police!" making your own thing! :cool2:

I think Cheerio trying to help OP out here shut all those idiots up.

@Crynux: I have an idea for an indirect PvP that would solve the combat system basically making direct PvP unfun. PM me if you would like some details.

Oh my god, I was so amazed by this tread that I created an account just to write this thing. I'm super hyped to see what will this mod turn into, if you will keep up the work (you did amazing job so far by the way), I think we will have pretty amazing, FUNCTIONAL multiplayer mod! I'm looking forward to this. I wish I could help, but I don't know any of the coding. Keep it up!

I'm sorry for my english though, I hope you will get what I mean :wilson_laugh:

Oh my god, I was so amazed by this tread that I created an account just to write this thing. I'm super hyped to see what will this mod turn into, if you will keep up the work (you did amazing job so far by the way), I think we will have pretty amazing, FUNCTIONAL multiplayer mod! I'm looking forward to this. I wish I could help, but I don't know any of the coding. Keep it up!

Welcome to the forums! Btw your English is fine, if you didn't say I wouldn't have thought a thing about it.

Thank you for the complements! I'm glad you're excited for the mod.

Your English is fine, I've seen native English speakers write nowhere near as well as you!

-Crynux

Hey just a few thoughts:

Other than technical limitations, I don't think disabling abilities for balance purposes is a good way to go.  Ideally, your mod would form a multiplayer framework, with things like balancing being done through plug-ins.

Obviously, it is your mod and I won't begrudge you your creative freedom, but I think the community is looking for almost everything to be the same as the base game, only multiplayer.

My SO and I are really excited for the finished product, and I hope you continue to make great progress (and someday have support for the DLC as well)

Personally, my biggest worry is that you're going to push too hard and burn out on the project, so I wish you  the very best.

Hey just a few thoughts:

Other than technical limitations, I don't think disabling abilities for balance purposes is a good way to go.  Ideally, your mod would form a multiplayer framework, with things like balancing being done through plug-ins.

Obviously, it is your mod and I won't begrudge you your creative freedom, but I think the community is looking for almost everything to be the same as the base game, only multiplayer.

My SO and I are really excited for the finished product, and I hope you continue to make great progress (and someday have support for the DLC as well)

Personally, my biggest worry is that you're going to push too hard and burn out on the project, so I wish you  the very best.

We're not necessarily disabling abilities for balance purposes, but for technical purposes. Some of them are more difficult to synchronize, and because of this, will be disabled for now.

The idea of plugins may seem attractive at first. But I much have on solid executable for the server. Plugins are nice, yes, but then you add a whole layer of complexity into creating the server. You'd need some kind of plugin API or interface that the server could understand. Not only that but the use of plugins in such a manner could easily decrease performance, which is something we're trying to avoid at the moment; As you can imagine, there is a ton of synchronization happening during game-play, with tree stages, mob movement, etc.

As I've said before, advanced features such as support for custom characters, or balancing though an ini MAY come later. For now, the main focus is base game-play, and the decisions associated with getting the base game-play running.

Regarding DLC, I still haven't looked into whether it has LuaSockets built in. I'm going to go ahead and assume that it doesn't, as the steam version of vanilla Don't Starve doesn't have LuaSockets. It's likely that the devs built of the Steam version(not sure if they did or didn't), therefore there may not be LuaSockets in the DLC if they hadn't added it.

I'm glad you're excited for the mod, development is slow now, due to the end of the term. I plan to get back to normal development in May (probably said this before, but can't remember, lol).

Regarding pushing too hard and burning out. That's what I'm trying to avoid. Two weekends ago, I dedicated 4 days entirely to the mod... it was a mistake as it made me tired of modding. I won't do that again, and plan to develop as I feel the need to.

On a side note.... custom item drops have been implemented today! Additionally, Maxwell now works... not including his shadows and such... only the base character and stats.

Thanks for the support and comments!

-Crynux

I just thought of Mandrakes.. How will they work? You know, if you cook or eat one, part of the day skips. So how will that work for other players? I think it will be annoying, other players "skipping my day". Or this feature won't be implemented at all?

The second thing, maps. I thought of three possible options:
1) Every player will have their map, functioning like in single player
2) Everybody can see other players, and are they discovered
3) Everybody can see other players, but just area they discovered by themselfs

Your thoughts on this?

I just thought of Mandrakes.. How will they work? You know, if you cook or eat one, part of the day skips. So how will that work for other players? I think it will be annoying, other players "skipping my day". Or this feature won't be implemented at all?

The second thing, maps. I thought of three possible options:

1) Every player will have their map, functioning like in single player

2) Everybody can see other players, and are they discovered

3) Everybody can see other players, but just area they discovered by themselfs

Your thoughts on this?

Mandrakes time interaction will no longer work.

As for map:

1) Player will have their map, functioning like in single player

2) Player can NOT see other players on the map.

3) Player can NOT see parts of map map he hasn't discovered.

Crynux, the "hallucinations" aren't actually hallucinations. The caves proved that much. They're actual Shadow Creatures. Therefore, I think it would make sense if the creatures were synced. I say this because down in the caves, you get harassed by "hallucinations" that attack you, no matter what your sanity level is. Low sanity causes your mind to conjure them into reality.

Crynux, the "hallucinations" aren't actually hallucinations. The caves proved that much. They're actual Shadow Creatures. Therefore, I think it would make sense if the creatures were synced. I say this because down in the caves, you get harassed by "hallucinations" that attack you, no matter what your sanity level is. Low sanity causes your mind to conjure them into reality.

Wrong. Down in the caves it is actually a variation of the hallucination. It is a separate mob, but it has same looks stats and drops. Plus it doesn't restore sanity when killed, and it has to spawn from the nightmare lights down there. If hallucinations were synced that wouldn't make sense.

This last part I may be wrong on, but in the ruins the "hallucinations" are actually Them right? So your player is hallucinating that They are trying to kill you (and before you ask, hallucinations irl can cause pain, and pain alone can kill you) but when you hallucinate that you kill Them it makes you feel better, more sane.

Archived