Heat damage in pipes is the bane of my existence in this game.  I have no idea how to prevent it on the glass forge for example, and my latest issue is how to prevent it in the LOX fuel lines feeding the rocket.  One solution I have seen is to make a loop in the fuel line, with a cutoff valve near the reservoir or source, so that the unused (overflow) fuel can drain back into the reservoir and it doesn't sit in the pipes collecting heat.  Well, the cutoff valve or the line leading to it still breaks, even if I put the reservoir in a vacuum on vent tiles.  I am using ceramic insulating pipes.  Maybe with more advanced materials this wouldn't be a problem but getting more advanced materials is the point of making the liquid fuel line in the first place!  

Would you mind sharing your solutions to this problem?

Thanks in advance.

The issue you're having with the glass forge is likely due to heat tranfer that occurs between the glass contained in the forge and the left-most tile below the forge.  Make sure you don't have any liquid sitting on that tile, and also make sure that tile is insulated and you shouldn't have any issues.

As for the LOX, the looping solution should work fine.  With LOX it's pretty easy to just cool it further below the condensation point to allow a buffer as it travels through the pipes, though it shouldn't require much buffer to avoid breakage.  Maybe post a screenshot of your setup so we can see if there are any potential problem areas.

The glass forge thing is a bug: there is a single tick of physics where the glass interacts with the building's environment before being put into the pipe.  Too much thermal transfer (metal tile, liquid pool) means it cools enough to break as soon as it hits the pipe.

Radiant pipes often work better in vacuum than insulated.  They equalize much faster with their contents.

The problem is the pipe needs to heat up or cool down to the temp of the liquid or gas in the case of steam once you get threw the anitial breaking and rebuilding the pipe will eventually equal out temps with what’s inside I’ve never tried it but I wounded if cooling the ceramic before building the pipe out of it might work 

1 minute ago, peachkillu said:

The problem is the pipe needs to heat up or cool down to the temp of the liquid or gas in the case of steam once you get threw the anitial breaking and rebuilding the pipe will eventually equal out temps with what’s inside I’ve never tried it but I wounded if cooling the ceramic before building the pipe out of it might work 

It doesn't, better to use radiant pipes in a vacuum when delivering steam

They take minimal damage at first (not enough to break) then the tempature equalizes and you'll never have to worry about steam pipes leaking again

I had this issue with my LOX setup until a friend pointed out, that it helps to run insulated pipes, through insulated tiles if you are not working in a vacuum. Seemed to do the trick, I've had 0 breakage ever since.

Making sure the oxygen is cooled a ways below it's evaporation point helps a fair amount too.

Return feed line from the rocket also makes sense, and I use one. Keeps it from sitting there in the pipes. You don't need a liquid valve either, just use a hydro sensor in your pump room to control the pump, the liquid will flow back into the room on it's own if you have a liquid output.

5c0204c076d7e_liquidoutput.thumb.png.ece562afe3002ec00620f8dc57e53053.png

5c02050637194_liquidoutput4.png.4e76aa5d0b69a8fa7973b63f1a98736f.png

Archived