Gas layering?

Hi all!  Just bought this game and absolutely enjoying it!  Still learning the ropes and would like to know if there is a set layering/order with regards to gases?  I know if O2 and CO2 is in a room, O2 will rise and CO2 will sink to the bottom, but what is the order when considering all other gases?

In particular, I've cleared out a huge slime section on the map and it's full of polluted O2.  I'd like to find an efficient way of cleaning up this air via deoxydizers without having to put one on each level of the room.

I'm also hesitant to break into sections of the map with Chlorine or other gases as I don't want it spreading in my base with no way to control it.

Thanks!

Observation'll teach.

Make only one entrance into polluted area, and place deoxydizer there.

If you don't know a new gas, that dominates an area, make a zig-zag transition, so in case of trouble air'll not leave your base, and you'll learn if new gas is heavier or lighter.

53 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

a proper airlock setup would be quite complicated.

make a "water" lock they seem to be most popular and effective 

dupes pass though the liquid and gases can't

here are some examples

Note: the one on the left can be made with just water and PW if oil is not yet available

20181108110358_1.thumb.jpg.860a5d6d9281adb264119a859d8f3abb.jpg

Sasza22, that's exactly what I was looking for!

On 07/11/2018 at 9:56 PM, suicide commando said:

Right.. no pretty picture but hre's a list of various gases sorted by their density:

• Hydrogen
  • Oxygen/PO2  (they seem just to mix)
  • Natural Gas
  • Steam
  • Sour Gas
  • Sulfur
  • Phosphorus
  • Chlorine
  • Carbon Dioxide
  • Rock Gas ( gaseous form of any 'rock' type substance, dirt, sand, etc. )
  • Copper
  • Super Coolant
  • Gold

Neotuck, why use polluted water?  Won't the dupes get sick?  Regardless, I'm not a fan of that method and just disappointed that the airlock would be more complicated.  I will use the waterlock method but I prefer once the dupes have suits already so that they don't waste time with the "got wet" animation.

How did you get the water to connect to the top layer in the second waterlock example?  I thought the water will only seal 1 tile high?

25 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Neotuck, why use polluted water?  Won't the dupes get sick? 

dupes have to ingest food while covered in food poisoning germs to get sick, walking though germy PW is harmless

unless you are referring to the PO2 the PW will off gas? as long as you have some water on top in it will prevent the PW from off gassing

How did you get the water to connect to the top layer in the second waterlock example?  I thought the water will only seal 1 tile high?

they do but if you use different liquids they can stack on top of each other, in that example the liquids are: crude oil, petroleum, PW, and water, there is only 10g of each

"got wet" animation.

the reason for the 2 tile deep gap in the second waterlock example is so dupes "jump" though the liquid, this prevents the "soggy feet" debuff and dupes won't make that animation 

6 hours ago, GoHereDoThis said:

In particular, I've cleared out a huge slime section on the map and it's full of polluted O2.  I'd like to find an efficient way of cleaning up this air via deoxydizers without having to put one on each level of the room.

You do not have to put them on every level. They clean up one tile above and below as well, so you can space them with 2 tiles in between vertically. For example alternating them left/right next to a ladder works pretty well. You can also just put them were dupes run. From my experience that is quite enough. 

Here's a tip.  Most of the time when you "break in" to a new cavern there will be 3 gases in the area, Hydrogen, Chlorine, and Polluted Oxygen.

A simple solution is to use an airlock door at the entrance to the cavern and make a horizontal walkway right down the center.  On it put an algae deoxidizer and a deoderizer right next to each other.  Run it for a few minutes, it will push all the hydrogen up, all the chorine down, and the deoderizer will clean any polluted O2.  Then disable it so it won't use any more power or resources. 

If you see any exposed bleach stone, get it into a small sealed room with a compactor, preferably with the door on the ceiling.

Congrats, now you've not a nice breathable area with all your nasty gasses out of the way until you can harvest or destroy them later on and no worries about new chlorine gas being created.

1 hour ago, greggbert said:

Here's a tip.  Most of the time when you "break in" to a new cavern there will be 3 gases in the area, Hydrogen, Chlorine, and Polluted Oxygen.

Some caverns have CO2 as well

1 hour ago, greggbert said:

On it put an algae deoxidizer and a deoderizer right next to each other.

an algae terrarium would work better, deoxidizers don't work in 2kg pressure so sometimes they won't be able to push other gasses away.  Also you won't have to worry about setting up power wires

1 hour ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Thanks for the tips guys but still don't know how to prevent gases from escaping a newly-opened chamber.  Surely there's a better way than just having to waterlock each area?

Another option is to allow those glasses to flow into your base

As long as you have a large cavity below your base all chlorine and CO2 will fall there away from your dupes

Hydrogen will rise to the top and any PO2 can be cleaned with deodorizers in your base

1 hour ago, GoHereDoThis said:

Thanks for the tips guys but still don't know how to prevent gases from escaping a newly-opened chamber.  Surely there's a better way than just having to waterlock each area?

FYI, chlorine is harmless.  It might be bothersome if your farms are right around the O2-CO2 border, but otherwise it's probably slightly beneficial since it'll decontaminate anything passing through it.  Let it hang around and eventually pump it off to a reservoir for storage.

My main base is sealed off from the bottom excavation area by a manual airlock and a algae deoxydizer making sure there is max pressure in the area.  The deoxy is connected to an atmo sensor and kicks in if the pressure drops below 1600g.  However, this is just dealing with oxygen, polluted oxygen, carbon dioxide, and maybe some chlorine, so with some deodorizers, I'm keeping the other gases outside my base.

But I've not really broken into any pockets yet with massive gasses and I don't really want the gasses free to move about until I have some place to direct them to.  I may build a gas sorting system in this excavation area later on, but just really want to be able to continue exploring without worrying too much about the gasses getting everywhere.

6 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

My main base is sealed off from the bottom excavation area by a manual airlock and a algae deoxydizer making sure there is max pressure in the area.  The deoxy is connected to an atmo sensor and kicks in if the pressure drops below 1600g.  However, this is just dealing with oxygen, polluted oxygen, carbon dioxide, and maybe some chlorine, so with some deodorizers, I'm keeping the other gases outside my base.

But I've not really broken into any pockets yet with massive gasses and I don't really want the gasses free to move about until I have some place to direct them to.  I may build a gas sorting system in this excavation area later on, but just really want to be able to continue exploring without worrying too much about the gasses getting everywhere.

Depending on the location most pokets of gas won't be able to reach your base

For example if you are digging down then any chlorine pocket you dig into won't rise into your base

If you are digging up then dig a P trap first and let it fill with CO2, other gases won't be able to pass though

Here's a picture of the base so far.  The area with the 5 sinks is the entrance to the bottom area of the base where I'm starting to dig out a slime section of the map, but going out to the left or right, I have big gas pockets that I'm not quite sure how to deal with yet.  As can be seen on the lower right, I'm setting up a waterlock system to eal with that area.

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

6 minutes ago, GoHereDoThis said:

How will the chlorine get in the way?  I've just put about 4 bottles of water (that I've seen) in the waterlock and it looks okay.  It's actually pushed the chlorine out to the right side of the waterlock system.

Then you got lucky, I see there is some bleach stone on the ground to the right which provided a path for the chlorine to rise

Normally chlorine and other heavy gases won't rise out of a "dip" unless the same type of gas is already above it

Yes, I have exosuit docks already.  However, the big chamber that I'm excavating, I'm expecting to maybe use later on and then relocate the exosuit docks further down once the chamber is clean and free of germs.

Never really paid attention the the bleach stone!  I just thought the chlorine was from a small pocket somewhere.

Archived