So I've done most things in the game with the exception of making LOX and LH as well as the crazy oil to nat gas stuff.  Thought of a way to spice things up, which is see what the earliest cycle I can get a rocket into space is. 

Build in my head atm:

1) around 10 dupes

2) stay on algae deoxydizer for oxygen, coal for power, and mealwood for food

3) tepidizer logic gate build for steam rocket

The fastest time is probably limited to how fast you can train an astronaut (high initial learning and interests in research and supply). The benefit of this build is that if you rush space, you'll be able to unlock stuff with super coolant and niobium/thermium systems faster.  In addition, you can work your way up to the further stars while still having stuff to do on the asteroid (build your SPOMS, Nat Gas power station, plastic, glass, sleet wheat and pepper farms, decorations, ranches, etc.) What do you guys think and do you want to space race with me?

Edit 1:

1) The number one bottleneck is dupe trait.  I tried a run and stopped at cycle 40.  I had a dupe with +4 initial learning and interest in learning but I was only halfway to getting an astronaut.  I think it's pretty essential to have both interests in learning and supply to get pre cycle 100 so I'm off to shuffling dupes on a new run. I'm also going to rush job research b4 toilets XD

2) Some people worry about surviving off algae and coal with 10 dupes.  It is not a problem at all. Smart battery and power station helps stretch coal supplies.  But, even then I think you can survive off algae and coal for over 200 cycles just mining around the map for resources.

3) Steel production is pretty easy for a smallish rocket, just need exosuits to get down to fossils

4) Capping off space isn't too much of an issue until cycle 200+

Edit 2:

1) So i previously mentioned the bottleneck is dupe trait, but more generally it's how fast you can get an astronaut.  Stress management is important for getting an astronaut as quickly as possible.  From observing the job exp % bar, I noticed it doesn't move when your dupe is being massaged.  

Final Thoughts:

1) It's very hard to truly "rush" to space.  You are limited by job progression.  It takes around 115 cycles to get an astronaut, which is quite a few hours in game.  Also, having a dupe interest in supply and research doesn't appear to help them master the job faster.

It might be hard fot you to get enough steel to rush a rocket. Steel pretty much requires you to mine fossils and that`s extra exosuits. All the infrastructure takes refined metal and it  might be hard to sustain 2 smelters at the same time when rushing to space (off coal gens especially). Well maybe if you get most the refined metal from the rock crusher than it`s doable. Still it`s a ot of running around with just 10 dupes. Also if you want space materials you need oxylite for the booster (if you are lucky you migth find some on the map).

@Sasza22 You think it's too few dupes? I felt it was too many. 10 dupes on algae terrariums takes like 25 terrariums. He's gonna go through water like it's going out of style. Combine that with coal power, and having to cool down geyser water... it seems crazy. Algae and coal would be "okay" with 3 or 4 dupes, if you stretch out your supplies... but you still spend most of your time tending terrariums, digging algae/slime, and mining coal. I guess the one advantage with more dupes is that you're better able to allocate workloads. You could run 1 dupe full-time research, and be using 10% of your workforce, whereas using 10% of your workforce for 4 dupes would mean you only get a small amount of research per day, since he'd have to do other things too. I think the main challenge in this is going to be making resources last... which you can do more easily if you tech up asap.

9 minutes ago, impyre said:

@Sasza22 10 dupes on algae terrariums takes like 25 terrariums.

It takes four.  Let the PW offgas and convert with deodorizers, and each terrarium can support three dupes, given enough time to reach equilibrium.  I'd suggest starting with eight or so and deconstruct them as needed.

While rushing things in oni aren't always bad, i feel you should rush things in a certain order for it to make sense.

Personally i go for hydroponics first, then plastic, then spom, then space. going for plastics enables me to get steel going also, while deleting heat in the refinery / plastic producer, in other words 2 stages that allow for heat to be deleted.

I even make a little fertilizer setup, tied to the overflow of toilets. 

once i reach the surface i have enough steel to make a little roof and start preparations for the steam rocket.

43 minutes ago, impyre said:

@Sasza22 You think it's too few dupes? I felt it was too many. 10 dupes on algae terrariums takes like 25 terrariums. He's gonna go through water like it's going out of style

I actually thought he is using deoxydizers (they are called diffusers now right?). With terrariums he needs even more dupes. Maintaining the terrariums will take like half of the dupes. With others focused on farming and making food he will be left with like 3 dupes for digging and buliding. That will take forever. My last base was stagnant on 10 dupes, nothing was being done and the life support tasks took all the time.

With more dupes he will just progress faster. Water will run out faster but taming geysers will be faster as well. Digging will be done right away instead of having to wait 10+ cycles for the ladder to be done. If he really wants get the rocket of the ground asap then he needs as many dupes as possible.

Well if you're focusing on building a rocket and not capping off space you could probably do it around cycle 100.  Just need to rush some dreckos / thimble reeds for atmo suits and start digging for fossils and into the space biome for iron straight away.

You only need around 3kg of steel for a small rocket. And you can get that amount very quickly.

I think you will have the rocket a very long time before you have any astronauts though. Need to get dupes with the operate and learning traits to speed it up.

If you're going to cap off the space biome first you could probably do it by cycle 200 if you put all your focus into it. I usuallly have the space biome fully capped off at cycle 250. Then I forget about it and start playing the game how I want lol. 

1 hour ago, SkunkMaster said:

While rushing things in oni aren't always bad, i feel you should rush things in a certain order for it to make sense.

Personally i go for hydroponics first, then plastic, then spom, then space. going for plastics enables me to get steel going also, while deleting heat in the refinery / plastic producer, in other words 2 stages that allow for heat to be deleted.

I even make a little fertilizer setup, tied to the overflow of toilets. 

once i reach the surface i have enough steel to make a little roof and start preparations for the steam rocket.

I prioritize capping off space over everything because you're forced to if you want to stop the map getting destroyed ( I don't like this aspect of the game right now). I want to keep all the upper biomes in perfect condition. As soon as space is capped off I generally forget about it and start doing what I want. I'll save the game at that point so if I feel like restarting I don't have to go through capping off space again. Since for me the game starts once that space wall is built.

All you need to do is shave a few dreckos and find some thimble reeds and you're all set. I Just put the metal refinery next to a puddle of water somewhere I'm not planning on building and set it to priority 9 along with all the rock granulator.

First thing I do is start working towards a smooth hatch ranch so I can keep the refinery making steel exclusively though. Helps food too.

Archived