Need a helping hand?

From time to time, i see people here, who have no clue what to do in this game.They don't know what to collect.They don't know how to research.They don't know what's important and what's optional for surviving..Are you one of those at the moment?Are you having a hard time, dieing on day 2 because you try to 10v1 spiders?If that's the case, you've found the right thread!I want to offer my services and my massive brain (actually it's not that massive) to help you!Message me at any time and i will try to help you as soon as possible!If you feel lucky, add me on Steam! Name's the same as here, Palpetinus. Problem is, i'm not always online there.Note that i can only help you with gameplay-related things. For questions like "Can my hardware run this game" or "Can you make me this mod/is there a mod for..." you've got the wrong man.TL;DR:Message me for help!

Hmm maybe at least make a sticky topic containing new player info etc? Or a list of people that are willing to quickly reply to help requests etc? (i would be willing to help with that for one, I lurk around here for 8 hours a day lol)

Hmm maybe at least make a sticky topic containing new player info etc? Or a list of people that are willing to quickly reply to help requests etc? (i would be willing to help with that for one, I lurk around here for 8 hours a day lol)

I'll bring it up. Edit: Scratch that, let's start now. If you want to be a call line PM me with what times you are usually on.

I'd ask that if you do, when you help people, keep calm and professional. And if you don't have the answer, direct the person to someone else.

Edited by Toaster Fu

I also lurk for extended hours.. I don't play too much a week or so after an update.. Old player and all..Willing to help out..

So I got on the computer to seriously post this same exact thread. Then after I read it I had the idea to make a list of people who are willing to help out newbies.Man, I got no original ideas :\

or your empathy/mind reading levels are over 9000

Can we post questions here? (well i guess i just did anyway) It would mean more eyes on the question and won't hae to wait if you're offline.Anyway my question is - Why did a giant spider run through my campfire and bite my face off? I had assumed nighttime was safe as long as you stay in the light (although it is possible I touched the darkness while planting a tree on the border, but surely that doesn't mean insta death does it?).Also, I had gone spider hunting in the day time and killed a couple of green spiders- Were they avenging themselves maybe?Thanks in advance!

Ah, no wonder I have insomnia. Palpetinus is rummaging inside my brain. At least wait until I get to sleep man....or are you too scared of the dark things that lurk inside my dreams? And you thought terrorbeaks and crawling horrors were scary! :evil:ANYWAY, back on topic: maybe it might be worth bringing up the newbie forum again? I don't know how long ago it was that you mods last discussed it, but perhaps the influx of new players (which seems likely to increase as it gets closer to release time) might make it a more worthwhile idea now.

Can we post questions here? (well i guess i just did anyway) It would mean more eyes on the question and won't hae to wait if you're offline.Anyway my question is - Why did a giant spider run through my campfire and bite my face off? I had assumed nighttime was safe as long as you stay in the light (although it is possible I touched the darkness while planting a tree on the border, but surely that doesn't mean insta death does it?).Also, I had gone spider hunting in the day time and killed a couple of green spiders- Were they avenging themselves maybe?Thanks in advance!

You need light to protect yourself against the grue. Even though it is pitch black outside your light radius, mobs like spiders that are active at night are still roaming around and doing their little spidery things, even if you can't see them. You just camped too close to a nest (or a queen?) and it just happened to wander by, then notice you, and decided you might be delicious. Edited by helointernet

Giant spider = spider queen doesn't follow rules of being afraid of fire if she has aggro. She spawns from tier 3 spider nests (the ones that have 3 sections counting in the bottom one), not sure what are green spiders though. I only know yellow spider knights and black standard spiders....unless the giant spider means just the standard ones. They sorta avoid light but will attack you from time to time despite it if you lurk too close to one.

Was it a "normal" giant spider? Or was it maybe the spider queen?Normal spiders that get near you get a frightened face or aggro you. They won't aggro you most of the time when you are at a light source.

Ok thanks for the replies guys!It must have been a queen because it was bigger than my character. I'm still slightly confused though because I'm 99% sure I wasn't camped near a nest and the only area I wasn't sure about was in the opposite direction to where the spider came from lol. Oh well I'll have to be more careful next time :)Also have another question while I'm here - If I drop a backpack full of stuff on the ground (to equip a log suit for example), how long will it be safe for? Will it stay there forever, or will it dissapear after time like oblivion?

Ok thanks for the replies guys!It must have been a queen because it was bigger than my character. I'm still slightly confused though because I'm 99% sure I wasn't camped near a nest and the only area I wasn't sure about was in the opposite direction to where the spider came from lol. Oh well I'll have to be more careful next time :)Also have another question while I'm here - If I drop a backpack full of stuff on the ground (to equip a log suit for example), how long will it be safe for? Will it stay there forever, or will it dissapear after time like oblivion?

it will be there forever
unless Krampus gets to it hehehe
fun fact: apparently if you put any trap in it it will show up on your map as that trap, so you won't have to go search for it if you drop it during a fight.as for the spider:http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_Queen

it will be there forever

unless Krampus gets to it hehehe
fun fact: apparently if you put any trap in it it will show up on your map as that trap, so you won't have to go search for it if you drop it during a fight.as for the spider:http://dont-starve-game.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_Queen^Everything she said.

Okay I have a question: Is it possible to die whilst wearing log suit? Ever since I got it I can just slaughter everything I can catch, if it doesn't get harder I will just have to ban the use of it xPPlease don't give any spoilers away to me but I have only seen bees, spiders, buffallo, strange fast footprint thing and those dogs. are these just easy mobs?

Okay I have a question: Is it possible to die whilst wearing log suit? Ever since I got it I can just slaughter everything I can catch, if it doesn't get harder I will just have to ban the use of it xP

Please don't give any spoilers away to me but I have only seen bees, spiders, buffallo, strange fast footprint thing and those dogs. are these just easy mobs?

Oh, they are very easy. Just wait until you encounter the fearsome Optimus Pine!

Okay I have a question: Is it possible to die whilst wearing log suit? Ever since I got it I can just slaughter everything I can catch, if it doesn't get harder I will just have to ban the use of it xPPlease don't give any spoilers away to me but I have only seen bees, spiders, buffallo, strange fast footprint thing and those dogs. are these just easy mobs?

Yes, those guys are the easy dudes.You're going to find the hard mobs in dangerous places, so play it safe!