Starter base designs

You need to make it 3 floors, then check the middle floor to shows what i'm trying to explain. Yeah, I put metal/plastic in my bases - but for any area where dupes spend a fair bit of time, I make sure decor is spreading from everywhere nearby to get them juicy bonuses.

At some point it becomes fashion over function obviously, as theres only so much decor you need - but still, my point was that airflow/mesh tiles would get you a better average across your base in my experience - plus the benefits to airflow are obvious.

20 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

You need to make it 3 floors, then check the middle floor to shows what i'm trying to explain.

ok but what about the decor of the other 2 floors

seems like we would be sacrificing the decor of the other rooms in order to max out the center room

my point was that airflow/mesh tiles would get you a better average across your base in my experience - plus the benefits to airflow are obvious.

yes I know they allow "airflow" so dupes will get plenty of oxygen while preventing carbon dioxide from pooling

In my experience one airflow for every 4 tiles works just fine, any more seems like overkill (that and it's symmetrical, and I'm OCD for symmetrical rooms) 

At some point it becomes fashion over function obviously, as theres only so much decor you need

Very true ;) If I really wanted the decor I would get rid of the flower pots/lamps and build more statues 

54 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

ok but what about the decor of the other 2 floors

seems like we would be sacrificing the decor of the other rooms in order to max out the center room

I think you're misdirecting my point bud - how often are your bases just 2 floors high?

I wasn't debating 2 vs 3 floors, this was me trying to explain that the tiles between floors share decor - and the range is huge, so I personally would rather spread that decor bonus and get a way higher level of decor. Especially in the early game when high decor levels can allow for faster dupe levelling progress. The movement speed for those bedroom/bathroom/kitchen floors is a minimal loss in terms of efficiency - and those same materials can be invested elsewhere anyway. 

More often than not my bases end up like 7-9 floors of inner/central base by end game, depending on dupe numbers and the base style i'm going for (I normally have everything that can be a closed build outside of the base as a satellite/addon if you know what I mean) - in my last playthrough I had a stupidly easy gold volcano and was sitting on vast amounts of refined gold all game, but I still only upgraded the "critical" tiles - and left the rest as airflow.

Just a thought considering this was posted as a "starter base design" thread, and in the early game maximising decor is key. Late game, who gives a crap - give em good food and a little boogie now and then and your dupes will worship you :p 

apologies for misdirecting your point, I thought I understood it

the range of paintings is only 6 tiles so I guess I have a hard time believing it would effect 2 or 3 floors away (unless we are building rooms only 2 tiles high?)

as for the "starter base design" then you need to re-check the post you are criticizing, I clearly stated I build 16 by 4 tile rooms with 4 tile gaps.  The picture was an end game goal with the pattern in mind as the design is flexible enough to work with most builds

If I don't build airflow it takes too long for my liking for dupes to start getting +12 morale from decor. I rushed refined gold for metal tiles but still wasn't enough.

image.thumb.png.4dc3be0729002ef7d069983402fba11d.png

And this is the same reason I don't care about spacing out cots in preparation for comfy beds, which also might be relevant to @unmog's thread. Just takes twice as much decor bombing because you aren't cramming twice as many dupes together.

It's all subjective, just depends on what your goals are and how efficient you want the early game to be.

Built it in a survival playthrough. Looks like this now.

I'm considering building gold tempshift plates everywhere for maximum bling lol. Sucks theres no drywall option that gives decor. Gold is the only material for drywalls and tempshift plates that gives a decor buff as far as I can see.

In my next playthrough I'm gonna build my whole base out of gold and diamond and call it Pimp City.

base design template 6.png

On 12/11/2018 at 7:47 AM, Nxf7 said:

If I don't build airflow it takes too long for my liking for dupes to start getting +12 morale from decor. I rushed refined gold for metal tiles but still wasn't enough.

Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.4dc3be0729002ef7d069983402fba11d.png

And this is the same reason I don't care about spacing out cots in preparation for comfy beds, which also might be relevant to @unmog's thread. Just takes twice as much decor bombing because you aren't cramming twice as many dupes together.

It's all subjective, just depends on what your goals are and how efficient you want the early game to be.

I'm doing it with window tiles.

So I'm going to share my most recent layout, granted only as a rough representation, without metal tile, or any actual infastructure, as the OP seems to be more focusing on room layout.  I generally start with the pod room, which I eventually make into a research room.  a quick and dirt barracks, latrine in a dead end, and farm/fridge in the lowest part that's convenient.  The pic is more what I try to move towards, rather than what I achieve before I start moving into more rooms, and higher tech.  Water at this point is mainly a problem, blocking my expansion wit the threat of flooding and making my dupes wet and angry.  I mainly deal with water by just draining it into a pool at the bottom, but as high as possible, so I can easily drain it into my cistern when I have it built. Where the rooms actually end up varies greatly depending on the map, but I do try and strictly adhere to the off center grid pattern I have in the 2nd pic.

5beb305cbe354_Screenshot(300).thumb.png.a995174c18d25b4a93d9148d7526a88f.png

5beb306d2d1f8_Screenshot(301).thumb.png.9d3a32cbb344253d09425ad74a496f6e.png

This layout is what I end up with, pod/research room in the center, surrounded by the various living quarter rooms, safe storage on the left, bedrooms up top, as close to the only access point to my inner base, with an atmo checkpoint to ensure all dupes wear a suit when outside of this area.  When it comes to how I progress my food, I basically move my farms down as I expand, and replace the top farm with my early centralized power plant, and eventually get a 3 room gap, which I then fill with nat gas and petrol gens, after I've gotten the insulation tiles installed, and some wheezeworts if I need them.  Both my electrolyzer system and my sorted gas storage are only accessible from outside, so I don't accidentally flood my base with high pressure gas.  I do have all of my transformers in a tower on the right, that extends as high and low as needed, and I HIGHLY recommend putting smart batteries after the transformers, controlling the transformers, so the transformer only works when that circuit is low on power, it drastically lowers power consumption in my experience, as does putting a smart battery controlling your gens in front of the transformers.  I do start making more systems outside my base, like ranches, refineries, and more storage, but this is what I consider the core of my base.

1 hour ago, TOOK14 said:

S

I like how neat and square it is. Not having the printing pod inside the recreation room or great hall seems like a waste though since it gives +45 decor.

6 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

It amazes me how many people make the mistake of thinking a bedroom requires there be only one single comfy bed (I made the same mistake for awhile).  While the description for barracks says single bed also.  Maybe they need to reword the description.

They do need to reword it lol.

7 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

It amazes me how many people make the mistake of thinking a bedroom requires there be only one single comfy bed (I made the same mistake for awhile).  While the description for barracks says single bed also.  Maybe they need to reword the description.

5beb498695a72_Screenshot(303).png.2b20b2e76a45c0199d10669dc873d8d9.png

It specifically calls out a SINGLE comfy bed as one of the criteria for a bedroom.  Either they changed their minds last minute and forgot to change the text on this tooltip, or there is a bug where this is not checked for properly when the game determines what sort of room it is.  Either way, I was not aware of this until I read it in this very thread.

2 minutes ago, TOOK14 said:

It specifically calls out a SINGLE comfy bed as one of the criteria for a bedroom.  Either they changed their minds last minute and forgot to change the text on this tooltip, or there is a bug where this is not checked for properly when the game determines what sort of room it is.  Either way, I was not aware of this until I read it in this very thread.

Same.

8 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

Not having the printing pod inside the recreation room or great hall seems like a waste though since it gives +45 decor.

It does, and it is at a point, and I probably could finagle it so it's in the great hall, but I find that +45 decor in any one place is not that important.  Once you get metal tile, you are dealing with 200+ decor in every room unless you have hevi wire or something to fight it.

huh, it does say single bed for barracks as well.  I guess I probably questioned that when I first started playing, but challenged it as a barracks by definition has multiple beds, and forgot about it after all this time.

No matter, simply gives me a bit of room to fit some more sculptures.

1 hour ago, TOOK14 said:

Great halls don't say single mess table

Washrooms don't say single flush toilet

Med bays don't say single med bed

So why do bedrooms say single comfy bed?

I'm making an alteration to the design layout I posted before

these are pics from my current survival and I'm building a large wild paku tank with granite statues over the bedrooms where I plan to have my highest tier dupes sleep

BTW thank you @Lifegrow the airflow tiles work great as a temporary solution for spreading decor early game, I still plan to switch to metal tiles near end game but this works good for now

20181114060640_1.thumb.jpg.868563423f7f3e34bae03a364eff03d6.jpg20181114061310_1.thumb.jpg.c2a239b6ee1e44204fc20b8b684a0007.jpg

still under construction and already my decor for the comfy beds is over 600 

20181114063526_1.thumb.jpg.d6c3adae8cd6cd008e66e9efa42b09dc.jpg

Nice temp shift spamming.

I considered doing that in my current base because the default background looks ugly lol. But settled for drywall tiles that are essentially useless apart from some temperature regulation. Base temperature went down -20C degrees averaging out after I spammed them everywhere. All the material is stored in a cold water tank though.

On 15/11/2018 at 1:35 AM, Neotuck said:

150 ish cycles later...

20181114203508_1.thumb.jpg.23aace00fb9cf590f056d777bbe1ca90.jpg

My base looks like this now. I added a "oxylite chimney" ventilation system and made the base air tight. Found it works really well for temperature regulation after sending the oxylite through my cold water tank. And it lasts a long time after power runs out because of the large backlog of oxylite that builds up on the conveyor rail. Cold oxylite is the only thing I'm using to keep the temperature in the colony low. (and the cold water tank)

I'm starting to spam longhaired slicksters to make up the decor bonus so I don't have to spam statues like that. I hope they update the decor system so you're not forced to spam statues in the future.

I'm trying to get by with only using diamond window tiles inside the base for the pimp factor lol. The top 3 rows of bedrooms are 600+ decor atm.

pimped.png

oxylite chimney.png

I'm going to design a second satellite base in the space biome where only the astronauts live soon. I want to bring in more dupes but theres no room left lol.

The temp shift plates were to ensure even temperature at around 26C (all granite) took over 150 cycles to build and another 30 to fill with water

I even added a transit tube to run though it just for fun :D

But works great I keep wild pacu in there for egg shells and rotten meat (for dirt farming)

20181116141258_1.thumb.jpg.30f61026b26d47974144fae22bf2fc4f.jpg

The cool water keeps the temp in the living areas well balanced

20181116141322_1.thumb.jpg.dae60b19f47e1a0164041e65d19c1e12.jpg

the decor for the comfy beds are all over 1000 

20181116141346_1.thumb.jpg.1e4ba70c705985fd00e7fee5f69ac3c7.jpg

8 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

The temp shift plates were to ensure even temperature at around 26C (all granite) took over 150 cycles to build and another 30 to fill with water

I even added a transit tube to run though it just for fun :D

But works great I keep wild pacu in there for egg shells and rotten meat (for dirt farming)

20181116141258_1.thumb.jpg.30f61026b26d47974144fae22bf2fc4f.jpg

The cool water keeps the temp in the living areas well balanced

20181116141322_1.thumb.jpg.dae60b19f47e1a0164041e65d19c1e12.jpg

the decor for the comfy beds are all over 1000 

20181116141346_1.thumb.jpg.1e4ba70c705985fd00e7fee5f69ac3c7.jpg

underwater transit tube is awesome I might add that in mine lol. My water tank is in the same spot.

I want to add tropical Pacus and change it to a hot water tank with window tiles so the dupes can watch them while they sleep. But not sure how I'd stop the heat leaking into the base lol.

Ceramic Temp shift plates maybe.

water tank.png

Actually I'll probably try it in my space biome base instead since everywhere will be vacuum

BTW I have actually started over with a new survival colony

this time I decided to ranch hatches early for coal, egg, and refined metal production

I'm making 4 full stables (3 with stone hatches and 1 with smooth hatches) I'm hoping 2 ranchers will be enough to handle them

Here's a pic of my base so far, I just reached cycle 80 and I am incubating my first smooth hatch egg :D

20181116145947_1.thumb.jpg.d40dd23bdc5d8b6a0ad67032e72c535f.jpg

Yay :D it just hatched!

and within seconds it had dropped it's first golden turd 

20181116150639_1.thumb.jpg.48ad640785dff3c3f96ef38634cf4731.jpg20181116150655_1.thumb.jpg.8b3aa9bbfc7748f18a415e4ebd1152e5.jpg20181116150703_1.thumb.jpg.4404cf56be61479fa150ee9469a0bc3b.jpg

32 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

BTW I have actually started over with a new survival colony

this time I decided to ranch hatches early for coal, egg, and refined metal production

I'm making 4 full stables (3 with stone hatches and 1 with smooth hatches) I'm hoping 2 ranchers will be enough to handle them

Here's a pic of my base so far, I just reached cycle 80 and I am incubating my first smooth hatch egg :D

20181116145947_1.thumb.jpg.d40dd23bdc5d8b6a0ad67032e72c535f.jpg

Yay :D it just hatched!

and within seconds it had dropped it's first golden turd 

20181116150639_1.thumb.jpg.48ad640785dff3c3f96ef38634cf4731.jpg20181116150655_1.thumb.jpg.8b3aa9bbfc7748f18a415e4ebd1152e5.jpg20181116150703_1.thumb.jpg.4404cf56be61479fa150ee9469a0bc3b.jpg

What is the point in smooth hatches? I read the tooltip and it says you lose 50% of the consumed ore.

It also said it only excretes copper but it looks like it pooped gold in your screenshot so the tooltip must be wrong.

I've been letting my smooth hatches die after reading the tooltip lol.

1 minute ago, ChickenMadness said:

What is the point in smooth hatches? I read the tooltip and it says you lose 50% of the consumed ore.

that's for normal and stone hatches

smooth hatches only lose 25% (so more effective than the rock crusher)

and sage hatches lose 0%

3 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

It also said it only excretes copper but it looks gold it pooped gold in your screenshot so the tooltip must be wrong.

they poop what ever refined version of the ore you feed them, it's true you need to feed copper ore to stone hatches to get them to drop smooth eggs, but once you get your first egg you can switch to any ore you like

BTW have you ever tried to cool the hot parts of your base by melting ice?

I built this here because it was very hot due to the steam vent to the right, now I have it walled off with ceramic insulated tiles so I'm trying to cool the area down again

20181116154702_1.thumb.jpg.1cc44b9eea6adbc128ccd3e11c17b099.jpg20181116154924_1.thumb.jpg.492085a5a3fd330599950fc20be43abe.jpg

20181116155753_1.thumb.jpg.8e1193dbcc57d800a4107bae741ec821.jpg

I've tried cooling my farm before by filling a storage compactor with ice/snow. It works decently well! You have to be willing to let that part of the base be slightly flooded with cold water as the ice/snow melts, though. It's more convenient than making ice sculptures, I think?

Archived