Starter base designs

I tend to build my base randomly in the beginning and then get annoyed with how poorly everything fits together. Really bugs me when the base isn't a perfect square and rooms don't line up. And it would mean deconstructing everything and rebuilding it so it looks nice, so I usually end up restarting the game lol.

Been trying to come up with some simple beginner base templates for the starter biome in sandbox so I can just copy it when I start a new game. This would be the layout towards mid game once I have plastic for transit tubes. in the beginning I would have exits at both ends of the ladder.
This would end up being where all the dupes live and they take transit tubes to where ever they work. Want it as tightly packed as possible for aesthetics. Wasted space annoys me lol. I would probably end up deleting the bottom floor and using it for something else once I have a power plant base near a geyser.

If you have a standard base layout you build in the starting biome every game post screenshots. If you have better designs I can improve mine. (also point out if I've left anything out. The plant pots are going to be a row of wheezeworts for cooling down the oxygen from the electrolisers).

I'm trying to make the number of entrances as small as possible to reduce lag etc. (smaller number of choices for dupes to get from point A to B)

base design template.png

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

And where will you have your food production?

Probably above or below the main ladder / fire pole as there would still be space in the starter biome to build farms for the early game plants.

Would delete and rebuild later when I have transit tubes etc.

Just now, ChickenMadness said:

Probably above or below the main ladder / fire pole as there would still be space in the starter biome to build farms for the early game plants.

May I point out the problem that you will incredibly quickly run into temperature problems if you do that.

Some guidelines I always follw is to have anything that produces heat above the printing pod level, and have food production below the printing pod level so you get at least one level separation, and rising heat doesn't cause problems.

Likewise it's also a good idea to coax the starting water pools into one large in the bottom of the starting biome because water starts at about 22C and will hold that temperature very long if you pool it all together.

This is how big the base inside the starter biome.

no space left or right. 
But above and below there is.

base design template 2.png

base design template 3.png

4 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

May I point out the problem that you will incredibly quickly run into temperature problems if you do that.

Some guidelines I always follw is to have anything that produces heat above the printing pod level, and have food production below the printing pod level so you get at least one level separation, and rising heat doesn't cause problems.

Likewise it's also a good idea to coax the starting water pools into one large in the bottom of the starting biome because water starts at about 22C and will hold that temperature very long if you pool it all together.

I've never actually ran into problems with heat rising like that. Usually whatever cooling method I'm using counteracts it. (as well as the insulating tiles.)

Do you think flipping the design so the beds are on the bottom half and the electrical stuff is on top would be better then?

The best way to build up a base is to have a plan in mind and then try doing it in a survival game instead of having great plans in debug/sandbox mode. Some things might work, others might not. I'm just sharing the basics on how to get a successful base on the way with the least amount of trouble.

Remember, you can always rebuild and/or change your base later because you will have the resources and dupe power to do so later that you don't have in the beginning. 

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

The best way to build up a base is to have a plan in mind and then try doing it in a survival game instead of having great plans in debug/sandbox mode. Some things might work, others might not. I'm just sharing the basics on how to get a successful base on the way with the least amount of trouble.

Remember, you can always rebuild and/or change your base later because you will have the resources and dupe power to do so later that you don't have in the beginning. 

lol I usually do that but I hate deconstructing everything and rebuilding because it's such a long process. And if everything doesn't line up perfectly I want to restart lmao.

My bases usually work fine they're just ugly with loads of wasted space. I can't visualise what I want to reconstruct the base into without doing it in sandbox first. It never lines up properly.

3 minutes ago, ChickenMadness said:

for the 'bedroom' bonus.

It would be a 'barracks' otherwise. +1 morale vs +2

Usually the first thing I build once I get plastic.

You don`t need separate rooms to get the bedroom bonus. You just need the comfy beds and the room to be 4 tiles high.

Just now, ChickenMadness said:

I checked just now it doesn't work mixing them.

Oh, they changed it. Good to know. Not that I ever actually did use it because comfy beds have the enormous advantage of dupes only needing 2 hours of sleep when using them.

I chose a obsessive compulsory 9 by 11 square design with a corridor every 3 boxes for ventilation. It's still a mess, but getting cleaner every 50 cycles. 99 squares becomes an easy 96 square stable or a bunch of other stuff like 3 floors of 3 tile, or 4 floors of 2 tile.

image.thumb.png.e530debccbe0611eeaadba6e0c7886fc.png

Ended up doing this after finding out about the bedroom thing lol. Gonna be simpler following this pattern.

base design template 5.png

39 minutes ago, Carnis said:

I chose a obsessive compulsory 9 by 11 square design with a corridor every 3 boxes for ventilation. It's still a mess, but getting cleaner every 50 cycles. 99 squares becomes an easy 96 square stable or a bunch of other stuff like 3 floors of 3 tile, or 4 floors of 2 tile.

image.thumb.png.e530debccbe0611eeaadba6e0c7886fc.png

I was just wondering about 96 tile stables and 124 tile dining halls fitting into a modular base layout

They're all multiples of 32. So adding an extra layer on top of a 64 tile room turns it into 96. I think, I need to check brb lol.

Edit: adding 2 extra layers on top of a 16x4 (64 tiles) room turns it into a stable.

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.82656b06652321a6d97a0cc4d60ce60a.png

The end result. The space that the spacewheel occupies is initially used as a water tank. CO2 is evacuated with an airflow tile in the floor below main shaft and in the spacewheel corner to be fed to slicksters down in the oil biome. Before that, a carbon skimmer exists by the transformers. Coal gens can be swapped for hydrogen. 96 tile drecko and hatch stables. Forgot a painting above the research station, and an incubator by the exosuit forge. Would not build the mesh tile below the lamp at the six pack farm, it's driving me insane looking at it. And a couple more minor changes not included.

Been using it for a couple colonies now, works decent enough to not bother with optimization.

Here is the layout for the main base I plan on building for my colony

Can support 27 dupes (9 high tier dupes and 18 low tier dupes)

It follows a simple 16 by 4 tile room pattern (mostly) with 4 tile gap for stairs/fire pole/deodorizers

Easy to put together in survival and can be modified in late game to reach this final goal

20181111190037_1.thumb.jpg.3f704c2d58adb57bfa7f063c6d384719.jpg

There are 3 bedrooms, 3 barracks, 3 great halls, a washroom, and med bay, rest is for research and industrial which don't benefit from room bonuses

20181111190047_1.thumb.jpg.5f345301e49676ffdd71cd188d960500.jpg

Here's the decor overlay, as you can see I have no need for a massage clinic :p

20181111190629_1.thumb.jpg.9f1cc497f8adbd1963469c405c871ae4.jpg

A close up of the bedrooms and barracks

I like to keep wild shine bugs in these rooms for the easy decor, easy to get early game if you collect and move the eggs

20181111190411_1.thumb.jpg.98803251717a166019f6a7a81f25d17c.jpg

Here's a closeup for the middle Great Hall which functions as my main kitchen, the single mess table is for the cook

Pincha peppernuts and sleet wheat grains are brought in by conveyor rail and are loaded into 2 refrigerators each, when they are full they send out an automation signal to the greenhouses shutting off irrigation to pause crops from growing

20181111190352_1.thumb.jpg.83036bd1efb75c206b45a5b00f5e7760.jpg

Here's one of the other 2 Great Halls

Both feed 13 dupes each

(All 3 Great Halls together support 27)

20181111190344_1.thumb.jpg.5a2e5647050388ad62a6c581af14bd47.jpg

Simple Bathroom and Shower room

There was space in the shower room for a pitcher pump station, water lvl is automated by a hydro sensor

20181111190316_1.thumb.jpg.55e4ea725ba0db1ced0b6d344a93e482.jpg

42 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Why put metal tiles everywhere? You'd get far more decor if you slapped in more airflow/mesh tiles surely?

Are you referring to the airflow tile it'self giving off more decor or it's ability to be "decor transparent" allowing the decor of other rooms to overlap?

I think the amount of decor from metal tiles exceeds the amount that passes though airflow

Just to be sure I did a quick test:

20181111235223_1.thumb.jpg.fb15004c9049c84d5aaf90648ebcc41a.jpg20181111235236_1.thumb.jpg.6ba6dc7d0669dd84538ad6556d37d79d.jpg

3 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Consider the range that decor reaches - put in another 20 paintings on the right and box both rooms in and it'll be somewhere near a comparison.

I take it you don't care about the run speed bonus of the metal tiles? 

But just to make you happy I made full sized rooms and checked the same spot in the middle of the room

20181112000827_1.thumb.jpg.a55c2854a8f16278c436fd4873c01475.jpg20181112001105_1.thumb.jpg.4bc67fb82dd4a958a30d680c3548aa29.jpg

even if it worked @Lifegrow only the center cots would get the max decor benefit while cot's on the edges wouldn't be in range of all the paintings

at least with the metal tiles the decor is more evenly spread out, plus the run speed bonus is nice ;)

Archived