Buildings (gas and liquid) inputs and outputs can be overlapped

qda
  • Branch: Live Branch Version: Windows Pending

Hello Klei team, and thanks again for your amazing work !

Here is a strange matter, within my game, I can overlap any input (liquid or gas) with any output. Just a few examples : I can overlap two bridges, or a water sieve output with a bridge input, or the opposite, or any case like these one, literally. This isn't specific to a save file, as far as I can remember, I could do that since at least the ranching update, to the point I even thought this was actually the standard and intended behavior. And by the way, these overlapping inputs/outputs work flawlessly.

A small precision, I can't overlap while the building are still in the state of errands (you know, red outline, game says NO), but once one of the two items is actually built, I can overlap an input/output onto its counterpart.

You should take a look at this topic, where a few of us discussed about this issue :

As you will see, after a rough start, and then some meaningful exchanges, we realized that we are quite a few in this situation. Someone even posted a clip of his streams where he replicates that behavior. Some people's game work like intended, some others, like me, don't. We didn't dig much, but as far as I know, we don't have any clue on what's going on.

I didn't think uploading a specific save would help you, but should you need anything, don't hesitate.

Thanks again

Edit : Just so you know, just tested it in linux (kubuntu 18.04), same behavior as in my windows version, both OSes on the same computer.

Steps to Reproduce
Build anything with an input or output (gas or liquid). Once it is build, build a bridge so that its input overlaps the building's output. Works in both ways (a bridge's output overlapping another building's input).
  • Like 1

User Feedback

From what I can see, this bug is replicatable, but unpredictable.

The sequence of construction to get it to work is as follows:

1. Start with an open area, no previous bridges or buildings. 
  2. Place a single gas or liquid bridge. Allow dupes to deliver and construct it.
  3. Without save/loading, you can now place a second bridge with the output of the first overlapping the input of the second.
  4. Connect the bridges at their overlapping points with a single "section" of pipe.

The second bridge and first bridge will function normally, with the two bridges functioning normally, and the gas bridges will not interact with the surroundings at all, though the single point of pipe where the bridges connect will thermally interact, as the gasses are "passing through" it.

This bug is inconsistent, because if you save/load between building the first bridge and placing the build order for the second, the build order for the second bridge is not allowed. If you attempt to place a third bridge with the output of the third on top of the input of the first, it will cause inconsistencies with gas flow. 

You cannot overlap a gas/liquid bridge with other structures with inputs or outputs. (Edit: this was also inconsistent. Further testing showed it was possible.)

From the forum thread linked above, it seems there was a 50/50 split of people who have been using this for a long while, and those who are just now noticing it.

Even following the exact steps I described above, I was still not always able to replicate it with gas or liquid bridges, replicating the bug seems linked to save/loading somehow. Sometimes it will allow placement of bridges at any time, other times you need to quit to desktop and reload to get it to work.

Edited by crypticorb

Share this comment