Solid Fuel Thruster not delivering

10 minutes ago, Oni Noob said:

But the solid booster is unlimited use, doesnt need to be refueled

doesnt matter if its weight means you can't get off the ground.  a 3 fuel tank petrol rocket with 3 cargos went from 2000km to zero when I added the booster if I recall

5 hours ago, chemie said:

I found booster only useful to get steam rocket to second range 20,000km planet.  On a 3 fuel tank petro rocket, they did not help

Referencing this tool, the solid booster can be useful on a petroleum rocket, but the benefit drops off fast, pretty much as soon as you break the 2000kg of petroleum threshold.

5 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Referencing this tool, the solid booster can be useful on a petroleum rocket, but the benefit drops off fast, pretty much as soon as you break the 2000kg of petroleum threshold.

yah, i just went for full tanks on three petro and full lox tank and then they were useless.  I dont see the point of boosting when your fuel is not full.

22 minutes ago, chemie said:

yah, i just went for full tanks on three petro and full lox tank and then they were useless.  I dont see the point of boosting when your fuel is not full.

Cheaper materials, lower cost investment, lower space requirements for the rocket silo, less gantries, etc. It's the intermediary step from steam rockets to petroleum.

On 10/27/2018 at 9:22 AM, Sasza22 said:

There`s a bug where it`s not using the fuel and lands full.

Not just boosters.  My petro tanks and lox are coming back full too.  Now Klei should teach spacex about these truly reusable rocket designs.

Archived