restart option with new update

this option usefull to any character, not WX (dont return already eat gears) maybe fix?

restart is too cheap, even compare to default items (some servers have xtra ones which are much rare then 2 gems and moon rock)

also a lot of servers with privat mod, where people grab all unique stuff to own base and dont let anyone use it. if chester or glommy are not a big part of game - restart option is kinda big deal. even if server have restart mod u loose all inv (if u forget to drop it out) and main part u loose a map (yeah you can create map roll, but it take some time and resourses, much harder then find gems and moonrock)

Despawning yourself is not cheap. Just getting the portal ready requires 23 moon rocks and one purple gem total. Where do you get moon rocks? By waiting for meteor showers, and hoping that a shower drops a moon boulder and that upon mining that boulder you get two moon rocks as opposed to the usual one. That is, unless you've gotten pig skin/moon rock farm up by the moon staff altar, and I guarantee nobody's ready for that kind of farm by the first full moon. All this to be able to repick your character, and at the cost of all crafting recipes, this is extremely useful when you're playing alone, but when you could just ask a friend or another player to pick the needed character, it's not that great.

... Compare this to getting a map. There's no waiting, all of the resources required in getting a cartographer's desk up and maps crafted are immediately accessible, and you only really need to go out of your way to get a single crow feather. The rest, reeds, wood, gold, flint and charcoal, most players gather in their first few days anyways.

Oh, and your inventory is dropped, it's not deleted. Items like Chester's eyebone are dropped upon leaving the server/entering a cave anyways. This is not an issue.

Klei said on their last stream when they showcased the celestial update that they wanted there to be more mid game content. I also don’t think it’s fair to complain about how the new update effects modded worlds, Klei doesn’t design game updates around mods, modders design around game updates.

i m shure people on servers with 10 or more players will build that portal just for fun. rest to do is Moon Rock idol which is too cheap

7 hours ago, Ressayez said:

Oh, and your inventory is dropped, it's not deleted. Items like Chester's eyebone are dropped upon leaving the server/entering a cave anyways. This is not an issue.

problem of privating inventory is when people build a base - all stuff inside is locked for other players, u cant take, grab, steal or use it. thats why crafting of Moon Rock idol must be somewhere else of orb, maybe dirrectly near potral

7 hours ago, Ressayez said:

... Compare this to getting a map. There's no waiting, all of the resources required in getting a cartographer's desk up and maps crafted are immediately accessible, and you only really need to go out of your way to get a single crow feather. The rest, reeds, wood, gold, flint and charcoal, most players gather in their first few days anyways.

sometimes world generates with less then 5 reeds, so map not always easy (also i see world without stone, that was most valuable resouce, people even trade it for bearger skin)

ok, even if price of idol will stay same as now - i m warry about that orb - people will steal it anyway, maybe it must rerespawn in every few days or something like that

8 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

ok, even if price of idol will stay same as now - i m warry about that orb - people will steal it anyway, maybe it must rerespawn in every few days or something like that

So what? Is changing characters mandatory for playing the game now?

DST is meant to play together, hence the name. If you are on a PvP / clan wars / however against eachother server where you don't even talk to eachother because it's war, you'll probably have other worries than changing your character.

And even if changing the character is cheap in the long run, what's the big deal? It's not gamebreaking in any way. You can't accomplish anything that 2 players with different characters can't accomplish together. 2 Players would be faster together as well with less recource cost.

Wanna discuss if playing together is too cheap and gamebreaking now?

Yes, you can use wicker to speedgrow food and then swap to wolfgang to eat it. So what? Haven't people been doing that for a while now together?

Let's just wait and see how it turns out. I like the idea of having a mid-late game way of changing your character, so players can redo their beginning choice.

Also the Portal looks sweet.

(I just had to get it out after reading all this moaning about a new mechanic that we don't have any proper practical experience with yet.)

11 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

problem of privating inventory is when people build a base - all stuff inside is locked for other players, u cant take, grab, steal or use it. thats why crafting of Moon Rock idol must be somewhere else of orb, maybe dirrectly near potral

That's a problem of the ownership mod, not the game. Contact the mod's creator, they could/should find a solution for that (for example the orb can't be "owned" or multiple orbs).

13 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

sometimes world generates with less then 5 reeds, so map not always easy (also i see world without stone, that was most valuable resouce, people even trade it for bearger skin)

If there is so few reed in a world that's either a bug (but I have never heard of such yet) or someone just trolled and burnt the reeds. Both reeds and rocks are easily accessible and renewable resources, so there shouldn't be problem accessing them (unless someone "privatises" the marsh... but that's again the mod's problem).

1 hour ago, Daniel86268 said:

And even if changing the character is cheap in the long run, what's the big deal? It's not gamebreaking in any way. You can't accomplish anything that 2 players with different characters can't accomplish together. 2 Players would be faster together as well with less recource cost.

at the beginning most usefull maxwell for easy resourses - then wickerbottom for traps for bosses, then wx for speedrunning (after charging)

even boosters are harder to craft then get idol.

i m not about pvp severes at all, but there are servers with 20 people limit

at first days all graves gone, all pigs and rabbits gone, half of population of beefalos and spiders gone too, noo bees at all, ruines are empty. all world almost empty before winter, thats how russian top servers work (i have best connection to them)

i m not talking about euro servers where people try to help each other and build one mega base

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

That's a problem of the ownership mod

on ownership mod u cant private bosses or some base items (wormholes, areas between biomes, postern, ruines and others) but orb is able to carry on and u can hide its like glommy and chester

18 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

at first days all graves gone, all pigs and rabbits gone, half of population of beefalos and spiders gone too, noo bees at all, ruines are empty. all world almost empty before winter, thats how russian top servers work (i have best connection to them)

Can you explain to me how a character change will help you there? (Apart from the fact that it might get quite a challenge to collect the "too cheap recources" for crafting the idol without food.)

18 minutes ago, Gagarin-ace said:

on ownership mod u cant private bosses or some base items (wormholes, areas between biomes, postern, ruines and others) but orb is able to carry on and u can hide its like glommy and chester

If you want a server with a heavy modded focus on ownership, I still see the problem with the mod not including the orb/giving the players other options rather than Klei having to adjust their entire game for your privatised server.

Edit:

at the beginning most usefull maxwell for easy resourses - then wickerbottom for traps for bosses, then wx for speedrunning (after charging)

Now imagine having three players: a Maxwell, a Wicker and a WX. Maxwell can gather recources from beginning till lategame, Wickerbottom for Traps and Bosses from beginning till late game and WX for Speedrunning, which is actually able to get Wickercharged, because one player can't read a book as wicker and get charged as WX at the same time.

(All of this at the same time, rather than one after another.)

OP you are writing about mods and a certain type of "community" - aka your "all world almost empty before winter, thats how russian top servers work" (and I've seen this way of "highly and aggressively competitive/belligerent thinking/acting" in ex-communist countries, mine included: because of all the poverty and disunion - envy/grudge via encouraged-by-the-state delations - such regimes harbor in their populace; c'est leurs vie) - the pillaging type like there's no proverbial tomorrow: that's not the problem of the game or updates, how certain types of things work with it, but the general vanilla ones. Also, as others stated, mods need to work around core-game for balance - yet vast majority of Workshop's DST mods are highly unbalanced; not vice-versa (is even ridiculous to assume the latter).

Oh, it has nothing to do with being from a former Communist country or not--players from pretty much ANYwhere can be greedy, shortsighted arseholes sometimes.  "It doesn't matter what happens later as long as I gots mine!" 

It's not a location.  It's not a mod.  It's just (bad) human nature. 

It could also be more innocently caused by those who started off in singleplayer (more rare these days, but it does still happen)--you just get so trained to grab whatever you see as fast as you can before that first nightfall, that you don't think about other players following after you.  I sometimes have to remind myself to pick only some grass, gather only some twigs and definitely, definitely, definitely LEAVE FLINT.  (Also hardly anybody ever comes to my servers, so usually I AM the only one playing.  : P)

As for the ownership mod (?) I can't help you there, as I've never used it (or heard of it)--but stuff being gone when you join any time later than Day 1, let alone a whole season (or more) in...that's just how the game is, I'm afraid.  It has nothing to do with the new updates, where someone is from or mods.  People just grab for themselves.  Sad but true.  (shrug)

...Notorious

It is already said that changing characters is not cheap and collecting moonrocks isn't the main priority of many people...

For the private mod problem: make some friends and start a new server is the best help. Eastern Euros are not greedy but to me they refuse to read or are new to the game. Reconsider your decision if you really want to change your character. 

But I can understand you why reeds are much rarer to find: The guaranteed swamp biome may contain to many undesireable rooms (like the spiky trees and merm city) with barely any reed plants in them. Also destroyed reed plants won't regrow and they have no alteernative like grass geckos and twiggy trees. But it's not a big deal to lose the map as you can always explore it again. And if your character dies expect that others can loot the things on the ground on unmodded servers. (It's not a big deal because I won't whine about lost items or destroyed bases, it's actually fun to recover from this).

Honestly, I don't think the celestial orb should be able to be picked up and moved around. Having a singular item like that be movable just creates issues when you don't have everyone on a server cooperating. I can imagine the orb being extremely difficult to find on endless public servers. Chester and Glommer already are. Either more orbs should be able to be produced, or it should be immovable.

6 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Honestly, I don't think the celestial orb should be able to be picked up and moved around. Having a singular item like that be movable just creates issues when you don't have everyone on a server cooperating. I can imagine the orb being extremely difficult to find on endless public servers. Chester and Glommer already are. Either more orbs should be able to be produced, or it should be immovable.

i think orb must be for upgrading portal and idols must be created at already upgrated portal

even if someone steal orb - there are more chances he upgrade portal for own needs or for fun

yes, maybe orb must be unmovable as Rock Den for pets . maybe even exist all time and unlock after some stuff droping from meteor drop

upd:  orbs can be rare, but not only 1 at whole map and they gona open something like rock den or dirrectly on postern, then crefting will be opened

like when u open claus sack with horn

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Personally I don't think this would be an issue. If people play fairly, even if not cooperating, they can share it. Other resources like pigmen, bunnymen and ruins' gear can be gathered by one team and not shared, yet these are way more important than the orb (in my opinion). 

Yet I'm not agains such a change of the celestial orb, because I don't see any reason why it couldn't/shouldn't be multiple or immovable.

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

Personally I don't think this would be an issue. If people play fairly, even if not cooperating, they can share it. Other resources like pigmen, bunnymen and ruins' gear can be gathered by one team and not shared, yet these are way more important than the orb (in my opinion). 

Yet I'm not agains such a change of the celestial orb, because I don't see any reason why it couldn't/shouldn't be multiple or immovable.

Even if they're not intentionally trying to hide it, the problem remains. It can be picked up and moved to a location you don't know of. You then would need to search the entire world and open every chest to find it. Then there's the issue of newbies picking it up not knowing what it does or that there's only a single orb. 

I just see a lot less issues in general if it was imovable, or if multiples could exist. 

Archived